Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Rocky Mountains / Great Plains
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2020, 05:16 PM   #1
Yaris Dad
I've made a post!

Drives: 2012 Yaris Hatchback
Angry Replaced Horn Relay - Still Not Working

Hi all - hoping someone can help me.

I bought a new horn relay because there was no clicking when pressing the horn. Still not working, no clicking.

Anyone else have any idea why this would be the case?

Thank you!

Mike
Old 09-14-2020, 11:15 PM   #2
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
The power source for the horn is the same as as the trigger for the relay. Therefore, my first recommendation is to check the horn fuse if you haven't done so already.

If it's not the fuse and it's not the relay, then it can only be a number of other things

1. The clock spring / spiral cable is damaged
2. The actual horn switch is disconnected or isn't completing the earth properly when you press the horn
3. There's a break in the circuit somewhere upstream between the fuse and the steering pad.
4. There's a break in the circuit between the fuse and the actual horn
5. The horn is broken
6. The earth to the horn is disconnected

Each one of those is easily testable. I'd start by checking if you have power going to the relay first - should have 12v power on two of the poles at all times. I'd then test the circuit to see if you get power through the relay when triggered by using a multimeter as opposed to listening if it clicks. If you have power then I'd focus on the clock spring and actual horn pad.

Last edited by stidnam; 09-15-2020 at 08:53 AM.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I've had issues with mine ever since I took the front end apart to swap the engine, still haven't resolved it.

The horn relay is part of the big black fuse/relay device in the engine bay fuse box. Real pain to test that one because the pins are tiny and underneath the fuse block.

The horn earth/ground is connected directly to the unibody. If there isn't adequate continuity between the horn body and the battery through all the bolted connections, it won't work.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, horn, relay