Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
oil and oil filter question..

anyone using 0-20 full synthetic..what is your change interval

and also oil filter question: can i change it without losing oil ..im thinking of using 0-20 long interval change it once a year but change my oil filter 2x a year...would it drip oil if i take the oil filter out with oil in the engine??????anyone!! i need the gods for this maybe....
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
We (family) use full synthetic in heavy equipment and change at hour intervals vs miles. Our standard practice is regular filter swap and top off a few times before full oil change. The oil will make the distance, but even the highest quality filters start to break down there element material due to extreme heat. I would (and do) filter swap on my vehicles at regular intervals and just stretch out the full oil change to 15K.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
jlift

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
anyone using 0-20 full synthetic..what is your change interval

and also oil filter question: can i change it without losing oil ..im thinking of using 0-20 long interval change it once a year but change my oil filter 2x a year...would it drip oil if i take the oil filter out with oil in the engine??????anyone!! i need the gods for this maybe....
Yes, it will drip, but the filter is in a very good access place so if you have a pan or bucket underneath, you won't lose that much.
jlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
marcus
toyota

coool.. thanks guys..!! appreciate it!!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
The Yaris filter is soooo tiny you will only need a little to top off after the filter swap.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
im runnin amsoil 5w20. i put 3k on the original oil before swapping it out with the amsoil. did 6k on the amsoil and swapped it just a couple of weeks ago. ill probably go 12k on this oil and change the filter at 6k just to be safe.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
marcus
toyota

cool.. im thinkin of putting 0w-20 but it seems like its a hard find..havent seen 0w-20 yet.. changing my own oil and keep receipt for warranty purposes.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
Meteorite Man
Passin' The Gas...Station

Drives: Same As You But Different
Send a message via Yahoo to Meteorite Man
Seeing that the oil filter is almost vertical, a good idea if you're just spinnin' filters is to fill up the filter with oil first. Shake it, bang it, wiggle it to get all the air out, then add a few more drops for a final top off and then spin it on. That way you don't have a momentary dry start. Have always done this.

When I had my Dodge P/u with the V-10, The filter was perfectly mounted at the front of the motor staright up and down. I would fill it with "Mystery Oil" . Would always substitute 1 quart of oil for the M/M....Never had a cold knock and the engine ran so smooth.

Just a 2 cent reply,

Good luck,

Chuck

Chuck
Meteorite Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #9
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
How far can you go on the 0W20 between changes? I'm using Mobil 1 now but will be switching to Royal Purple next change. I was just planning on doing it every 5,000 like normal because I put so many miles on the car in a month.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
marcus
toyota

synthetics extends ur oil change intervals....benz change interval is every year or 15000 kms..
Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Not to sound cocky or whatever, but a Yaris isn't a Benz...I change the cat water about every other day. Maybe my car oil should be changed too...
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
marcus
toyota

?????

of sorry didnt mean to confuse you..but think about if benz c230 kompressor supercahrge got bigger engine using synthetic oil and changing it once per year....and our yaris got 1.5 l engine...wouldnt that make the oil last longer on ours then..TADA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
Not to sound cocky or whatever, but a Yaris isn't a Benz...I change the cat water about every other day. Maybe my car oil should be changed too...
Old 06-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #13
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
im runnin amsoil 5w20. i put 3k on the original oil before swapping it out with the amsoil. did 6k on the amsoil and swapped it just a couple of weeks ago. ill probably go 12k on this oil and change the filter at 6k just to be safe.
I just found out a co-worker of mine's uncle sells amsoil, so I bought 4 quarts of oil from him (5w-20). The bottle said 7500 miles for oil change, is it safe to go further? And do I need amsoil filters or would I be fine with the mobile filters (heard they have a 98-99% efficency rating, better than the K&N I'm using right now.)
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
schecksportpak
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 yaris 4drsdn
extended oil change option

As of this weekend 7/01/07, I installed a dual filter relocation kit on mine,this allows me to run 2 larger filters(fram PH8a's)and increase my oil capacity to 5.5 quarts, I now have the option of going approx. 6-8k miles between changes,I have installed kits on previous vehicles that I"ve owned with great results,my last vehicle a '96 toyota tacoma V6,at 6k miles my oil was still gold,as for the Yaris I would still recommend sticking with the 5w30 oil it is best,I use mobil synthetic blend.There is no listing for this application I had to be creative on the kit such as ordering it as a different motor,toyota corolla 07 1.8L,all you really need to know is the thread size of stock filter housing(3/4 x 16),kit comes with all you need(summit part # TRD-1213)except2 Fram PH8a filters and alternate fittings(1/2"x1/2" brass street 90 degree fitting,1/2"x1/2" brass reg. 90 degree,1/2"x1.5" brass nipple @ Lowes hardware)the filter mounting bracket can be bolted on front sheet metal,pass. side,between rad. tank and A/C hose just infront of alt.,it's tight but doable,use driv side inlet/outlet on filter housing block off other end(universal application)run hoses down to filter adapter plate which screws right onto filter housing,this is where you put the 2 brass alternat fittings to be able to hook up to the supplied hoses,this has to be done so you can adapt to the filter plate at a 90 degree angle otherwise the supplied hoses would have to go in staright on and hoses are not log enough and they would hang down and be exposed to lower chassis debre,hope this info helps.
schecksportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #15
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
OK... I have a question and I probably sound stupid for asking but anyway, is it better to change the filter every 3 months as always or is it better/about the same/worse to use the filters that say it'll last a year .. (forgot the mileage)? Reason I ask is I had used amsoil filter and oil and since it said however many miles, i didn't change it for a bit and my dad got really mad at me and said you have to change every 3 months, despite what the filter is. Thanks
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #16
Meteorite Man
Passin' The Gas...Station

Drives: Same As You But Different
Send a message via Yahoo to Meteorite Man
It all sounded good till you mentioned Fram filters. That has to be, by opinion, the worse you could get. Better off with a roll of toilet paper (and I have seen those on diesel engines). Wix is a pretty good filter-NAPA GOLD is the same, made by Wix and is a couple of nickels cheaper, says Wix right on the box).

It would of been better if you could of went lower with the filters to keep the oil cooler. The factory mount is low, out of the way and grabbing air from under the car. If I read yours correctly it is mounted mid-way up the radiator support on the inner fender well. Lots of undispursed heat there.

Ok, good luck to ya. Sounds like it will be a good mod. Hopefully the oil pump can keep up and the filters have anti-drain back valves. After sitting overnite / extended period of time, the oil pan will have close to 6 quarts in it. Well not in it. It will be stuffed full and all the excess will have to go somewhere else. That's alot of COLD oil to push first thing in the morning.

Have fun,

Chuck

Chuck
Meteorite Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #17
marcus
toyota

3 months???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
OK... I have a question and I probably sound stupid for asking but anyway, is it better to change the filter every 3 months as always or is it better/about the same/worse to use the filters that say it'll last a year .. (forgot the mileage)? Reason I ask is I had used amsoil filter and oil and since it said however many miles, i didn't change it for a bit and my dad got really mad at me and said you have to change every 3 months, despite what the filter is. Thanks
not on our yaris oil change interval is every 8000km/6 months and thats regular oil so im assuming synthetics will last almost twice as long..no point of going synthetic if you gonna change it every 6 month/8000 km anyways.. just a waste of ur money..id say I personally will go synthetic only to extend change intervals " oil breakdown period..- withstand higher temperature as well...but im sure others got different opinion..
Old 07-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #18
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
of sorry didnt mean to confuse you..but think about if benz c230 kompressor supercahrge got bigger engine using synthetic oil and changing it once per year....and our yaris got 1.5 l engine...wouldnt that make the oil last longer on ours then..TADA!!!
All I meant was that the Benz was a far more expensive, higher compression, and tighter tolerance design, therefore, it would make sense that the engine was built to handle those changes. The Yaris is just our little grocery-getter, and should be maintained and more frequent intervals. I'm probably foolish to think that, and you're probably right: I've more than likely been tossing my cash senselessly. But, it helps me sleep better at nite...
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote