Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
sherriebythesea

Drives: 2010 Yaris
How did $69 Maintenance turn into $311 ??? Any opinions greatly appreciated.

I got my 2010 HB in February and am hitting the 15K mark. My 5k and 10K maintenance, at the dealer, was $69. Change oil, rotate tires.

I called this morning to get my 15k done and was told that I needed a "Yellow" done rather than a "Green" and that it would cost $311.

This includes a front end alignment and several other items. But why would I need to have it done?? I haven't seen any evidence that I need an alignment.

I just double checked my maint. schedule and it states, oil change and rotate tires for 15K.

Am I being jacked around ????

One of the reasons I bought this was for the low maint. costs. I love my little red "Rosie" and want to take good care of her but don't want to get screwed in the process.

Any opinions greatly appreciated.
sherriebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Tell them you didn't sign off on all the "found" items wrong. It's the job of the service manager/personnel to maximize money from the customer- especially during these times.

I'm going to assume that the "green" items are "recommended" services. He or she will give you a long list of why you might need it, let them go through the drill and thank them for their recommendations and roll out of there. Make sure you get a list of what they suggest you need. If you are then still concerned, have a second opinion at an independent shop or chain like good year or pep boys.

69 bucks is still a lot of money but there is a reason why it is their lost leader in their eyes.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
sherriebythesea

Sorry, I didn't make myself too clear.

It was when I called for the appointment that they said it would be $311 and told me that they were "recommended" maintenance items.

I guess my questions should have been: Is there any reason to have any of the extra services done - such as front end alignment, if I'm not having any front end or any other issues?

From checking my book it seems fairly simple to change the cabin air filter but I haven't noticed any change in air pressure coming out of the ducts. Does it need to changed even if there is no indication?

I can't even remember all the things they said the $311 covered but one of them was cleaning the brakes. In all the cars I've had I don't think I've ever heard of that. Is this something that needs to be done periodically?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
rningonfumes

Nope.

Most of what have mentioned is not yet needed.

In your case, be firm and ask just for the oil change. Let them recommend all they want as long as they know you only want the oil change.

Alignments aren't usually needed unless you see signs of improper wear or your steering seems off, and/or with a new set of tires.

I'm not sure about the latest models, but prior years of our cars didn't even come with cabin filters-- and it was still recommended to be changed. *lol

The other stuff like brake cleaning I would shove under the "fluff" category. Great if they could get money for it but almost never needed on a regular visit. Brake cleaning at best for them is to spray down your brake components with brake cleaner.

To answer your question. AT 15,000 miles, NO you should not need any of those things beyond an oil change and possibly a tire rotation. And at this point if anything big happens it would be worthy of a warranteed repair ie...if something breaks, it's not from wear and tear.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
sherriebythesea

Thank you !!!!
Old 10-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
sherriebythesea

Oh yea, another one of the items was rebalancing the tires. If I'm not showing any improper wear or any strange handling issues, why the heck would I need it done? Now I know.... I don't need it done. Thank you again.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
rningonfumes

Good luck Sherrie. Welcome to YW.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2009 Yaris Onyx
don't let them rip you off, other then oil changes and rotating your tires you should be good for along time.....if you want to give away your money please feel free to send me some.

Later,
Al
DARK AGE 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
walt101786

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris Hatch-Back
well...like what others had said...get the list of u need to fix for ur yaris...and take it to an independent shops like pep-boys, jiffy-lube and other lil shops and get a quote from them...if not, while u get ur service done in one of those shop, u can ask them what else u need to fix for ur next service....and u can go on from there...make sure u kept track all ur records...or else u might get rip off
walt101786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Do the cabin filter yourself. You probably don't have one in the first place.
Unless you hit a curb and the cars pulls one way or the other, say no to the alignment.
Say no to the brakes.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
tell the dealership to go fuck them selves and go get your oil changed and tires rotated at a reputable shop for $20-$25.... and an alignment is $35-50
Old 10-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #12
Zebra

Drives: Yaris HB
That really kills me! Personally, I think you're dealing with crooks! Next time they start listing off a bunch of 'recommended maintenance items' you should ask them a few questions:

1. Will you be changing the air in the tires from Summer air to Winter air??
2. Do you think the muffler belt should be changed at this interval??
3. The other shop changes my Knuuooter Valve for half price, will you match that??
4. Will you need to remove the transmission when you grease it??
5. Will you put my car up on a lift or will you use a set of skyhooks??
6. Do you use biodegradable synthetic oil or the regular stuff??
7. Will you top off the power steering fluid in my Yaris?
Old 10-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #13
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Follow the factory manual to a "T"

Don't let those fools add on BS! I just did my 45K and the dealership I go to hasn't even thought about suggesting to do alignment or brakes. They keep saying everything is fine. I think it's time to find another dealership for you to go to.

You can make your own cabin filters VERY easily. They work just fine and will save you a good amount of money.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #14
sherriebythesea

hehehehehe, Knuuooter valve. Wish I had read that this morning.

Took her in and told them just the maintenance in the book. They had me initial that I was declining the "yellow" service.

They've seen the last of me, that's for sure.

Thanks to all !
Old 10-10-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
yup , taking advantage .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #16
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
This post reminds me of the "recommended" 3,000 mile oil change. Yeah. Recommended by the a-holes who change oil for a living. Nah. Now, you obviously wouldn't want to buy my car after I say this, but I don't do ANY of the scheduled things you are supposed to have done. Never have. Got an Avalon with nearly 200k without crap being done to it.

I'll keep my money. Hell, with all that service I could use the money to buy another used Yaris!
Old 10-10-2010, 02:27 AM   #17
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB

Let us know when your engine grenades in 30K from sludge!
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #18
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
This post reminds me of the "recommended" 3,000 mile oil change. Yeah. Recommended by the a-holes who change oil for a living. Nah. Now, you obviously wouldn't want to buy my car after I say this, but I don't do ANY of the scheduled things you are supposed to have done. Never have. Got an Avalon with nearly 200k without crap being done to it.

I'll keep my money. Hell, with all that service I could use the money to buy another used Yaris!
I had a Dodge Ram with a V-6 and did very little preventive maint to it. I never changed manual trans oil. only changed aif filter twice. Only drained radiator to change a hose. And only changed 4 of the 6 spark plugs. Other 2 were a really hard to get to. Yep thats it. I sold it running at 256,000 miles cause gas was too expensive for the amount of driving I do.
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote