Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
purpleminx

Drives: '08 5DR Silver Yaris HB
Dash destroyed in electrical fire.

First off, sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I'm a new poster who's looking for some idea or advice on what happened to my own little 2006 Yaris. I figured the people here were the best to ask considering Toyota hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Long story short... On Thursday when I returned to a car park somebody told me my car was on fire. When the fire department got there they said that it was an electrical fire, and that they couldn't pinpoint what started it.

I KNOW that I left NOTHING in the car that could have done this, and I've NEVER installed anything in the car. All services have been done by Toyota. A friend suggested that a short circuit sparked, lit the synthetic carpet on fire which then set the dash alight.

The windshield shattered and the entire car is smoke damaged. I have a pretty wicked tint job going on right now.

If anyone here has seen this before, or heard of it before, or knows just exactly what Toyota will do considering it's still under warranty (and definitely a write off), I'd greatly appreciate their input.

Pics below.

Last edited by eTiMaGo; 11-02-2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Additional information
purpleminx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Wow that sucks. That is the first one I have seen and the first electrical fire I have heard about in a Yaris (actually any toyota).

My suggestion is.......
clean out your cigarette butts.....
let the insurance company handle it and they will probably approach toyota about the warranty.....

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Bob_VT

I can tell you that Toyota WILL NOT admit any fault or they would be responsible......

Did you EVER install any electrical items yourself?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:42 AM   #4
purpleminx

The cigarette butts would never be blamed. They're all empty of any tobacco. I used to hold them out the window and twist them until the lit part fell out of the car.

I never installed anything in the car. From the sounds of it, Toyota already knows they're in deep. It got towed from the insurance company's assessment centre over to Toyota on Friday, and when we spoke to them we were told that after they saw it, they were instructed to lock it up, put it somewhere, and call in a bunch of engineers.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Drives: Yaris
Send a message via MSN to andries
Whow, that looks very bad

I hope for you that this can be made.
andries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:54 AM   #6
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
I sure hope you've not fitted voltage stabilizers or anything of that sort. Otherwise you haven't got a leg to stand on.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:57 AM   #7
Bob_VT

Well..... this is going to sound terrible but I hope it was a toyota "fault" and you should be replaced free-of-charge. In the insurance industry there is a term..... substitution of collateral where you should end up with a new car if your current one is financed.

I have seen fire destroy chevrolets and fords too in the US

Old 11-02-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
purpleminx

I haven't installed anything, added anything, changed anything, and all services were done by Toyota.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:58 AM   #9
purpleminx

No lit cigarette butts were possible. Hadn't had a single one in the car that day. Just got in, drove to where we were going, went away from the car for 20 minutes, came back, windows were blacked out, and sirens were in the distance =/
Old 11-02-2008, 07:13 AM   #10
purpleminx

It was a hot and sunny day, it always is, I live in Australia, lol. Nothing in the top compartment that was flammable. There were just some pieces of paper and my GPS unit.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
Bob_VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
i wouldn't tell them you had a gps, they will blame it for the malfunction. was it a battery powered one or cigarette lighter one? it could be that the lithium ion battery malfunctioned or cooked with the high heat (its been reported before ) . so th miux of high temps , paper bits and a malfunctioning gps unit or its power adapter and you have your fire. but thats just a theory
It's probably melted in the glove box........

Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #12
purpleminx

They'll know I had a GPS anyway, considering it's fused into the top storage compartment, relatively untouched. You can see that the charger was plugged in to the car at the time of the fire. It was also plugged in to the GPS which was sitting in the top storage compartment. If it had been a fault in the GPS it would have melted the cable, and the top storage compartment would have been a lot more messed up than it is.

So... nobody thinks that the theory I presented is plausible?

It started in the dash itself. Not in the storage compartments. Look at the two photos from different sides of the car, look at how far back it goes.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #13
Bob_VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleminx View Post
They'll know I had a GPS anyway, considering it's fused into the top storage compartment, relatively untouched. You can see that the charger was plugged in to the car at the time of the fire. It was also plugged in to the GPS which was sitting in the top storage compartment. If it had been a fault in the GPS it would have melted the cable, and the top storage compartment would have been a lot more messed up than it is.

It started in the dash itself. Not in the storage compartments. Look at the two photos from different sides of the car, look at how far back it goes.
What theory? You intitially said the carpet?

Old 11-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #14
purpleminx

The theory is that a short circuit in the dash sparked, which lit the synthetic carpet that goes all the way from the floor up to underneath the dash. Then, in turn the carpet set the dash on fire.

Also, as I said previously. The fire department said that it was an electrical fire.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #15
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
lol if they total it see if you can pay the salvage fee and keep it and part the sucker out... usually if the ins totals the car you can buy it back for $50 bux.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #16
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
Same thing happened to my wifes 91 camry.
We never did figure out what really caused it.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleminx View Post

I've done some analysis of this nature on some of our products that have had catastrophic failures in the field. If you weren't on the opposite side of the globe, I'd like to poke around under there. You would think that fuses would prevent this type of thing from happenning, but you'd be amazed at how little current it can take to set a small component ablaze.

Also, When I installed my remote start/ keyless entry unit in my car, I found a nice nick in one of the wires, with exposed copper. There is a mile of wiring in a modern car and a whole lot of sharp sheet metal (and humans dragging one over the other).

Having never seen a right-hand-drive Yaris in person, can someone describe what is different and the same under the dash. For example, is the fuse panel above the left front kick panel?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #18
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan

Or there was a problem with car's electrical systems that caused a fire, or am I looking too far into this?
tuckevalastin is offline   Reply With Quote