Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
Thebigwicks

Drives: 2008 lowered yaris on 17's
Stance wheel and tire questions.

Hey guys. I'm in the market for some new wheels. I'm looking into going with either 17x8's or 16x8's. I would sit at about the same ride hight with both with the right tire selection so that's not an issue. I just can figure out if 17's look "right." Sometimes I look at my car (which is on 17x7's right now) and think "man that looks good" and then I see it from other angles and I feel like I'm donning with those big wheels. I just want to know what you guys think. Btw I would stretch 205/40/17 on the 17's and I'm not really sure what I would put on the 16's. Thanks guys!

Pics for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.2 KB, 149 views)
Thebigwicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
Thebigwicks

Donk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.1 KB, 142 views)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I think you'll get a mix of opinions on this topic. I love my 17s, but once had a guy at a Yaris meet ask me if I was going for that "gangsta" look. You have to lol at the thought of a gangsta Yaris. Some folks like a more race functional look, so they go for the 15s and 16s. Others like hella flush and might go bigger, camber out and maybe stretch. I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder on this and many other things.

Besides, what's wrong with a donk? I'd rock an '84 Cutlass on 15" hundred spokes or 24" chrome!
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #4
Thebigwicks

Hey man thanks for The quick response! Absolutely nothing against donk here either! Just not really my style. I'm actually going for the old-school 80s euro look on my Yaris. Already have the DTM exhaust and I'm currently working on a wooden roof rack. My next will set up will be a fullface will send that to the old 0Z rally wheels. I'm still going for the stance look and will still keep my negative camber in the rear. Really just looking for opinions here and just you guys different ideas.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #5
Thebigwicks

Here's the mock up of the wheels that Yarisugi did for me. Awesome guy. They look to be about the size of 15's and I think that kind a looks weird. I'm just worried that 16s will look too small in that 17s will look to big. The struggle...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.8 KB, 142 views)
Old 05-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
ern-diz

I like the 17s you're rocking right now. I agree with you; 15s look too small to me. I wouldn't do 15s even though it's technically, functionally correct. I think 17s are perfect and wouldn't go below 16s.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #7
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
If youre looking for old school 80's look then you would have to keep the rims small and have a good amount of sidewall on the tire. Don't go higher than 16's. Plus, the yaris drives like crap with bigger heavier wheels. Personally, I'd go 15x8 BBS style rims (kind of like the 80's BMW m3 rims) and slam it, If you're going for a throw back look. In the 80's, 14" and 15" were the norm on almost every car with the exception of a few running 16's.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...

Last edited by aspro; 05-22-2015 at 01:25 PM.
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #8
aspro

A rim like this on your ride would look bomb. These are 15x8 BBS rs replicas.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
Old 05-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
aspro

Here is an example of those style of rims on a Yaris. This car belongs to a member on here TerenceCruz he did a wicked job, I think the car looks amazing. These rims are 16x8.5 and slammed to the tits. 15x8 with a bit more tire would also look amazing.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspro View Post
Here is an example of those style of rims on a Yaris. This car belongs to a member on here TerenceCruz he did a wicked job, I think the car looks amazing. These rims are 16x8.5 and slammed to the tits. 15x8 with a bit more tire would also look amazing.

Great example of 16s!

I, personally, love 15s. The 17s on your car look really big, but it's mainly the white color that exaggerates the size, IMO. Just like one of the members had mentioned in previous posts, beauty does lie in the eye of the beholder. I get crap all the time for my 15s like I should go bigger, but hey, I don't care as long as I love them and I have a thing for fat rubber
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
ern-diz

Quote:
If youre looking for old school 80's look then you would have to keep the rims small and have a good amount of sidewall on the tire. Don't go higher than 16's. Plus, the yaris drives like crap with bigger heavier wheels. Personally, I'd go 15x8 BBS style rims (kind of like the 80's BMW m3 rims) and slam it, If you're going for a throw back look. In the 80's, 14" and 15" were the norm on almost every car with the exception of a few running 16's.
In my 8 yrs on this forum, this is not the first (and won't be the last) time I've heard the "Yaris drives like shit with bigger than 16s" argument, but my mileage, again, over the last 8 yrs, has shown that not to be true at all.

If we were on a track comparing lap times, sure, maybe. Out in the daily driven world, my car handles insanely good and I can't count the number of compliments I've gotten, many of which where from folks who thought my car came stock with the wheels I have on it. In my opinion, the gains you get in looks from 17s far outweigh the supposed drop in handling (which again, I've never even experienced). Not to mention that my car felt like shit at highways speeds on the stock wheels and sat down big time after installing 17s.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #12
aspro

I'm just speaking from experience. I've run 17's, 16's and 15's all on the same car. 17's were horrendous, 16's weren't that bad but I could still feel a loss in power, braking (and these were 'lightweight' 16's).

Everyone's threshold for negative or positive change in the vehicles dynamic is different. We have a difference in opinion - that's all. Doesn't mean I shouldn't give the OP a heads up from my own personal experience.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #13
ern-diz

Quote:
I'm just speaking from experience. I've run 17's, 16's and 15's all on the same car. 17's were horrendous, 16's weren't that bad but I could still feel a loss in power, braking (and these were 'lightweight' 16's).

Everyone's threshold for negative or positive change in the vehicles dynamic is different. We have a difference in opinion - that's all. Doesn't mean I shouldn't give the OP a heads up from my own personal experience.
Absolutely, we agree there. No hard feelings or anything personal either, it's all good. I just have a distaste for the many, many comments I've seen over the yrs about how bad the car handles on 17s and I just don't find it to be true on city streets. I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that the car got infinitely better on 17s than the stock wheels and tires it came with, so I feel like it's all relative. It might gain a little with 15s, but I feel it comes at a significant visual loss, unless you're one of those folks that likes how the car looks on 15s with more rubber showing, in which case, more power to you.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #14
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Personal fan of some good offset 15" rims... Although I would rock some 16" for DD, but on race day, I am all about 15"

I am running 15x7.5 with 30offset
Old 05-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #15
aspro

Yeah I'm not a big fan of thin sidewalls. I like a little more meat on my shoes. But everyone has their own preference and that's what makes the tuner world what it is. No hard feelings brother. One thing is for sure, we both drive a yaris, so at least we share one preference :) unless you're one of those sedan folk. Haha jks, no offense to the big butt crowd ;p

Old 05-22-2015, 03:10 PM   #16
ern-diz

Quote:
Yeah I'm not a big fan of thin sidewalls. I like a little more meat on my shoes. But everyone has their own preference and that's what makes the tuner world what it is. No hard feelings brother. One thing is for sure, we both drive a yaris, so at least we share one preference :) unless you're one of those sedan folk. Haha jks, no offense to the big butt crowd ;p
Ha! Yeah, I've got a hatch
Old 05-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #17
aspro

Ada boy ;)

Old 05-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #18
aspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSPLASTIC View Post
Great example of 16s!

I, personally, love 15s. The 17s on your car look really big, but it's mainly the white color that exaggerates the size, IMO. Just like one of the members had mentioned in previous posts, beauty does lie in the eye of the beholder. I get crap all the time for my 15s like I should go bigger, but hey, I don't care as long as I love them and I have a thing for fat rubber
Hey man, haters gonna hate! Like is said I had 17's, 16,s and now 15's and I love the look of the 15's lowered with some juicy rubber. And the car drives a million times better both on the track and on the road and especially for long distance hauls. 15's FTW.

But I get why people prefer a bigger rim and why a 15" rim doesn't appeal to them. But like is said, its preference and they differ widely and that is the beauty of the the tuner scene.

I saw your post about your car and I absolutely love the way you did it. Keep up the good work buddy. Did you find that elusive x brace yet?

Tags
helpwanted, stance, wheels