Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Velox wheels?

Hey everyone.
I might have the opportunity to get a good deal on a set of velox wheels. The trouble is, I haven't seen anyone with them on a yaris, so i'm not sure how they will look or feel. (I searched the site about Velox wheels and came up with nothing.)
I'm trying to find wheels that are 16" and are fairly lightweight (weight is my main concern), I found that SSR type F wheels are 16x7 and weigh about 11lbs each, but they're quite expensive.
I'm not in a big hurry to buy them, so if I have to, I can save up for them.
I also would need to get tires, i've been looking at Toyo tires but i'm not sure what to go for. So any suggestions on tires would be helpful too.

Also, I do plan on lowering the car, i'm still not sure if I want to go with the lowering springs or do coilovers. I'm trying to do research on both.

If anyone has had any experience with velox wheels, let me know. I'd like to know if they would be a good buy or not.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
you'll be fine w/ velox wheels....they'll be the same as any other cheapy wheel brand

i run toyo proxes4's on my yaris...i like them just fine for a performance all season tire..

i ran coilovers for a summer....they were too rough for my wife on our daily drive to work (since we commute together) so now im just on eibach sportlines, which i love (plus stock shocks)
Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Black_griffin6

So they're a cheapish brand? I haven't had any experience with aftermarket wheels, but if I buy some wheels i'd like them to last. Do you think it's better to go for some more expensive quality wheels?
I'm really leaning towards getting some SSR type F wheels, but I want to know if they're really worth it.

I might end up going with those, some people probably like different tires, since i'm a noob at this and all I might just go with what a bunch of people have recommended.

What kind of coilovers did you have? A rough ride doesn't really bother me too much, but i've heard you can adjust coilovers and you can't adjust lowering springs w/shocks+struts.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
yarr_is

Drives: yaris
what about type C ... those are lightweight too. Might be cheaper also.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
So they're a cheapish brand? I haven't had any experience with aftermarket wheels, but if I buy some wheels i'd like them to last. Do you think it's better to go for some more expensive quality wheels?
I'm really leaning towards getting some SSR type F wheels, but I want to know if they're really worth it.

I might end up going with those, some people probably like different tires, since i'm a noob at this and all I might just go with what a bunch of people have recommended.

What kind of coilovers did you have? A rough ride doesn't really bother me too much, but i've heard you can adjust coilovers and you can't adjust lowering springs w/shocks+struts.
wheels/tires are easy to sell if you don't like them....

ive had all sorts of wheels and tires on my yaris...it just happens that i settled on some rather expensive wheels which are super light (enkei rpf1's). id roll on a cheap brand...the only issue is that they're often heavier than more expensive wheels

i had megan coilovers. i found once you drop it with coilovers, you won't likely ever adjust it because its kind of a pain in the ass (but i also have a wife and kid, so my time is often at a premium). i would just get springs/shocks at a height you want to drop at....you'll likely be just as happy at half the price of coilovers
Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
Black_griffin6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarr_is View Post
what about type C ... those are lightweight too. Might be cheaper also.
I've looked at those, I kinda like the style of the type F more though.

@ Thebarber. Thanks for all the helpful info.
I was trying to decide on springs vs. coilovers, and I wasn't sure if I really needed the option of adjusting it.
I guess it's really not needed though, since I'd probably keep it lowered 90% of the time.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
SailDesign

Drives: .
Nothing to say on the wheels, but I'll chime in with another prop for Toyo Proxes4 tires. I'm on my second Yaris with these for summer, and couldn't be happier.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote