Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #433
LeetViet

Drives: 07 Yaris 4DR
My ABS and ! light came on this week. I took it to the dealership to diagnose and they came up with rear left, and front right. I said hold off on the repair (and they wouldn't inspect my rear right for some reason). Picked the car up, and the light has been off. Took it to another mechanic I trust, and he said to drive it as-is until the lights comes on again.
LeetViet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #434
LeetViet

My ABS and ! light have been coming on more often. I took it to a small mechanic I trust to diagnose.

ALL my sensors showed up on the history, which led my mechanic to think it wasn't a sensor problem. The mechanic cleared the codes, and went for a drive. My right rear sensor came on immediately. I'm going to drive it for a week or so, and go back to see if the other sensors will come up again.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #435
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Cars don't fix them selves.
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #436
LeetViet

Took the Yaris back to my mechanic. The rear right, and ONLY the rear right, ABS sensor came up on the scan. I'm going to replace the rear right and the harness next Saturday. Hopefully that'll be the end of things.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #437
Chris Jackson

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Is there a video tutorial on how to do the cleaning and grease trick using WD40 and dielectric grease for the sensors? Or can anyone make one? I'm not very handy or knowledgeable when it comes to cars. But this trick seems to be working for a lot of people having the same problem I am. I've already brought my car to the mechanic twice, first time he replaced the sensor, second time he replaced the bearing. Still no luck, can't afford to keep replacing things if its not going to solve the actual problem! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Chris Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:57 PM   #438
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Is there a reason the mechanic only replaced one sensor? Any of the 4 sensors could cause the issue so replacing one is good, but not if the other 3 are also causing the issue
Old 04-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #439
Chris Jackson

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Is there a reason the mechanic only replaced one sensor? Any of the 4 sensors could cause the issue so replacing one is good, but not if the other 3 are also causing the issue
He showed me the old sensor he replaced and I could see it did have some noticeable corrosion. He didn't mention any of the other ones having problems with them. I guess ill have to bring in my car again and have him try to do this clean and grease trick to see if that fixs the problem. Otherwise Ill have to replace more sensors.
Chris Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #440
z0mb13k1ll

Drives: '15 Dodge Challenger
had mine go 4 or so years ago, was told it was $700+ to repair so i pulled off the gauge cluster and covered the lights with electrical tape behind the face. Last year when i replaced my front bearings i noticed a ton of corrosion on the speed sensors.

Really a problem that should have been addressed by Toyota. :(

Edit: never really needed the ABS, just buying some good tires and brakes and my little Yarii can plow through winter like no tomorrow
z0mb13k1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:10 AM   #441
LeetViet

My ABS and ! light turned off this week with the warmer weather.

Despite that, I went through with replacing my rear right wheel bearing and ABS sensor harness. Cost me about $450. Fingers crossed the issue doesn't return next winter.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #442
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
My ABS light came on yesterday for about 10 minutes, then it turned off. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #443
RichardPan

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
My 07 Yaris Sedan base model experienced ABS light on in February 2014. It was a particularly cold winter. It was out of warranty, and the repair at Canadian Tire cost $1177 CAD. Both rear sensors and their harnesses were replaced. Haven't had problem since.
RichardPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #444
cerberii

Drives: 2005 Yaris
is there anyone with used connectors and hub/bearing assemblies? whats the cheapest prices anyone can find these parts for?
cerberii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:15 PM   #445
Billiond

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I know this is an old thread but wanted to share appreciation for the advice. Had ABS and brake light on this week. 2007 sedan, in Calgary; particularly slushy recently and brakes were still working but no ABS, so this thread sounded like it could be related to the problem.

Per advice I took rear wheels off and checked sensors, sure enough they were absolutely covered in salt. Cleaned and applied some dielectric grease.

Now lights are off, tested brakes on a patch of ice and ABS working fine. Fingers crossed that this is a lasting fix.
Billiond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #446
Kazimodo

Drives: Yaris 2007 3 doors
went in today , the little outer shell is easier to remove than trying to
remove everything at once with just jamming a mini screwdriver under the connector
once the outer housing is removed , it is still touchy to get the connector to
come out of the sensor , both sides looked good and the dielectric grease did not
change anything for me , both abs and " ! " lights are on , time will tell if they
continue to go ON and OFF 50 times an hour when driving ,
I've been looking at those warning lights for over 5 years , don't care ,
only thing is once a month the brake pedal goes to the carpet with no stopping
and the grinding feeling typical to ABS brakes .
Back to the drawing board .....
Kazimodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:22 PM   #447
yarisa07hatchi

Drives: yaris 07 hatchi
anyone in sauga/toronto have an 06-08 yaris with cruise. looking for someone to help me install it
yarisa07hatchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:19 PM   #448
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
Does ANYONE know how to COMPLETELY DISABLE the ABS system and clear the codes? I'm talking so the main ECU doesn't even know the car has ABS, so the fault codes don't come up??

I really don't want to fix this expensive problem and already know it is the rear right sensor causing a problem, but my vehicle won't pass inspection with it throwing codes. I already took apart the connector and cleaned it but it didn't fix the problem.

I removed the two ABS / traction fuses from under the hood and tried clearing the codes with a scanner but it doesn't work. It still knows there's an ABS module somehow. I WANT THE CAR TO THINK IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ABS AT ALL SO I CAN PASS INSPECTION.

Thanks
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:22 AM   #449
Max527

Drives: Yaris
I'm joining the club. Paid $1000 for a 2007 Yaris with 300,000. I'm at 315,000 now and the infamous ABS and brake lights have come on. After reading this thread, it looks like I don't have to worry much. Bring on Toronto winter lol
Max527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:53 AM   #450
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I think you made a wise purchase! I hope you have a good luck with the car.

The ABS module went out on the Ford F150 I was considering buying a used car lot. I told the guy fix the ABS module And I’ll buy it. He fixed it and it cost $700. So I bought the truck. In New Jersey vehicle without working ABS will not pass inspection.

Of course it’s not necessary. And statistically it doesn’t prevent accidents or injuries or deaths to any measurable degree.

What error codes do you have? Perhaps we can figure out what is wrong with it. It might be an easy fix If you can do the work yourself