Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
zyovka

Drives: yaris sedan 07 BLACK
Crack on the windshield

Guys, maybe some advice from you. I have had a small crack in the upper left corner of my windshield for quite some time. It never actually crossed my mind before that it may get worse. I was driving for more than a year with it, and there was nothing wrong with it. Yesterday, I noticed that it had spread for an additional 4-5 inches. I got some information from the internet, and it looks like the best thing to do is to get a windshield replacement. Toyota gave $850 as the price for a new windshield glass and $60 for rubber molding. Generally, I think you can find a certified guy ( not dealership) who can do the job for $125 and up in the Milwaukee area. But what about the windshield by itself. I think there are options to go not with OEM, but third party glass. Is it worth it? Has anyone else had this experience. Thanks, in advance, for all the inquires.
zyovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Send a message via AIM to dvlnblkdrs Send a message via Yahoo to dvlnblkdrs
there are third party companies that still use oem glass and dont charge what the dealership charges... i just looked up the cost with the company my insurance uses.. they charge 300 and use oem glass.. and they are mobile! but only in california.. but there are lots of other companies similar....

dvlnblkdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
i had mine replaced last month,with a non toyota one , i now have a
blue tinted strip across the top,
it cost me nothing as it is covered under my car insurance.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
zyovka

I did check with my insurance (GEICO), and it says no matter what happens to your windshield you still have to pay deductible. God knows if your rates will go up after that. I have been reading that in some States insurance actually covers windshield replacement without deductible and that it has no influence on your rates after that, because cracks may happen without your involvement. I wish Wisconsin were one of those States.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Here your rate wouldn't go up since it doesn't count as a Collision. It's just your Glass Coverage at work, which doesn't really get factored in if the break only happens once. There is a deductible applied though. If replacement costs about the same as your deductible, I wouldn't even bother getting insurance involved

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

yea, i work for AAA southern california insurance.. comp/otc ded applies for glass with us.. but we offer that company and they use 15% discount for AAA members.. so u may want to just call ur ins company and ask them without filing a claim.. they may give u useful info

Old 03-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
zyovka

How are those MOBILE services? I found a few local services like that, and they rate approximately $325; still don't know if that's going to be OEM or 3rd party glass...
Old 03-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

ask them what glass they use.. we use 2 diff companies.. 1 is oem and the other is oee(3rd party glass) both cos are mobile... so u just have to ask the companies or check out their websites...

Old 03-19-2009, 05:21 AM   #9
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
If I remember, prior to the hack of this site, there was a forum discussion on members who had cracks start on the edge of their windshields and they went back to Toyota and had them replaced for free. Maybe some others will remember this discussion. Apparently, these people had not had anything hit their windows and the flaw was the windshields original installation, or something like that.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:10 AM   #10
David90

Drives: Mazda
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlnblkdrs View Post
there are third party companies that still use oem glass and dont charge what the dealership charges... i just looked up the cost with the company my insurance uses.. they charge 300 and use oem glass.. and they are mobile! but only in california.. but there are lots of other companies similar....
I am really struggling to find a concrete solution. Thanks for your answer here mate! It really makes me believe that it is all about checking in with your insurance, local dealers etc.. I am not sure if in general it is better to go with an oem rather than something aftermarket, online as well I dont seem to find that one or the other is better. I looked a lot at stuff like this https://www.carwindshields.info/wind...something-else
but I still am not sure. Car is about 5k miles on it...if that makes a difference at all when choosing.
David90 is offline   Reply With Quote