Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2008, 01:56 AM   #1
onizuka

Drives: Yaris Blk 5 Drs RS
ABS and "!" lights are ON again!

Last year I got the speed sensor problem fixed. Waited for parts for 2 weeks, and driven my car without ABS in snow for 2 weeks. And now a year later, the problem happens again after an afternoon of snowy driving.

I recall my dealer telling me how the speed sensor can easily be malfunction due to salt splash. Dammit, I hope it's on the other side, because I can't believe how the same parts fail twice in 2 years. I have to bring my car in on Monday.

My car is heading its 4th year, and I hope my warranty continues to cover this.
onizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:04 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
(!) is handbrake ... hmm... ??? let me try to spot if there's another ! somewhere... haha..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
onizuka

Yes, ABS and handbrake lights are on. Meaning that your ABS is inactive.

Been there, done that last year. Speed sensor is defective. If I'm getting the same problem again due to cold/snowy weather, this proves that the car is poorly handling our Canadian winter.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
+1
Been there done that....
Last winter, I was without ABS for about 2 month, through the thick of it.
They initially replaced the sensor for one of the rear wheels ($450+), but after a week, the problem came back. It took me about a month to take the car back in and their senior mechanic spent 2hrs on it and decided he couldn't fix it and they'd have to order in a new wiring harness since the connections were corroded. After a week, they got the new Harness in, and that solved the problem. However, I was dinged another $250 for the harness. Total was over $700+ to fix the problem. However, since I sold the car several month ago, don't know if the problem would have re-occur.

If I was in the market for another Yaris, I'd pass on the ABS, unless Toyota Canada came to the rescue. But, Since the problem seems to happen shortly after the warranty expires, I doubt it.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Pars

Quote:
Originally Posted by onizuka View Post
Yes, ABS and handbrake lights are on. Meaning that your ABS is inactive.

Been there, done that last year. Speed sensor is defective. If I'm getting the same problem again due to cold/snowy weather, this proves that the car is poorly handling our Canadian winter.
Actually, the car handles great in the snow, without the ABS. I put on about 20,000km last winter, with ABS light on...(not working). Having the ABS would have been nice, but the little car still has good balance, all it needs is a good set of snow tires. In fact, I think the Yaris's ABS system shines when the road is dry, in the snow, it tends to over react.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i wouldnt pay for sh!t if its under 60k and 3 yrs

even if its a part they replaced....should have a warranty on it too

i had LOTS of stuff go wrong with my matrix xrs in the 3yrs and 87k i owned....and i never paid one penny for warranty items (that steering rack paid for the ecp, lol)
Old 12-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
I also had the same problem, on mine last year winter. Make sure they change the harness with the sensor, and if you can see if you can watch. I made a big fuzz when they did mine so they let me watch. It was badly corroded. when he placed the new one he put contact cleaner on it and once installed put white grease on it also i believe. Since then no problem but it winter like every two to three weeks i try to wash under the car and wheel area. Not sure if it help to stop the problem, but it salt free till next wash.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
This is kinda concerning to read. Three people have had this same problem? Is there anything that can be done to prevent this problem from happening? Would that rust-proof undercoating help?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
onizuka

actually, this happens to me for the second time now
seems to come back when winter starts to pound snow and when temperature is dropping
definitely a defect from Toyota. Only had my car for 3 years with 71k
Old 12-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
jesse1000

Drives: White 2007 Yaris 3DR Hatch
this happened to me last year as well...only during the winter....it sucks, but as long as I know that the ABS doesn't work when the light is on, I'm okay, becasue I don't expect it to kick in....my car is long past warranty, so there's no way I'm paying money to fix it....I like driving without ABS in the winter anyway
jesse1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #11
onizuka

this should be something of safety concern and perhaps a recall should be made
when most of us upgrade to ABS package, we expect it to last and come to use
jesse, I can see that your car is 2007, how can you past your warranty this quick?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #12
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
I'm glad i didn't get ABS. Seems like a problem to come back after a while. BTY, how's the sway bar doing?
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:26 AM   #13
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Is this a sedan problem as well or only a lb issue?

I have a sedan and am entering the second winter with it. I haven't had this issue yet and am wondering if any sedan owners are also having this problem?
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #14
jesse1000

Drives: White 2007 Yaris 3DR Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by onizuka View Post
this should be something of safety concern and perhaps a recall should be made
when most of us upgrade to ABS package, we expect it to last and come to use
jesse, I can see that your car is 2007, how can you past your warranty this quick?
Ya, it's a 2007...I didn't bother getting the extended warranty (it's a Toyota), and i was working as a co-op student about 90km from home for about 16 months....I have put on 110,000km so far
jesse1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #15
Pars

I put on 150,000km on my Hatchback in less then 2yrs. So I quickly blew through the warranty.

I spoke to the mechanic fixing my ABS, he told me that the sensors being used on the Yaris's ABS is the same as the Corolla and according to him, there wasn't any issue with Corolla's ABS. If that's true, I suspect it's the harness/connections that are getting corroded and causing the problem. But, since both ends are getting corroded, so the sensors is still suspect even if it's working.

Anyone with a 2008 model that's having the ABS problem?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Those connections should be water proof.. much like all other connections that are in the engine bay. But it's not a bad idea to grease them to avoid corrosion...

I got my sedan in 2006.. and have not had any problems with the car except the water pump bearing that gave up.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #17
ammes
I've made a post!

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Yaris Sedan
Question Exclamation Point Light Question

Does anyone know what the exclamation point symbol means? I just got my 08 Yaris Sedan on October 14th and this morning that exclamation point light was on an did not go off like usual. I found the light symbol in my manual, but no explanation on what the light is suppose to indicate. I am taking it to my dealer on Friday but I am curious to know what it is suppose to be telling me. Any help is gladly appreciated.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #18
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammes View Post
Does anyone know what the exclamation point symbol means? I just got my 08 Yaris Sedan on October 14th and this morning that exclamation point light was on an did not go off like usual. I found the light symbol in my manual, but no explanation on what the light is suppose to indicate. I am taking it to my dealer on Friday but I am curious to know what it is suppose to be telling me. Any help is gladly appreciated.
I'm guessing, but isn't it parking brake?
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote