Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-26-2008, 02:02 AM   #1
ruimond

Drives: Yaris YR
Engine Slow to Start

Hey guys,

Been having this problem for a few months already, but haven't really gone to have a look at it really. As it hasn't really affected the car. But was wondering if anyone had experienced a simalar problem.

Very rarely this happens, but it does...happened today but the last time was maybe a few weeks ago. Whenever i start the car i can hear the engine cranking but it won't kick in till a few seconds later, its kinda like a delayed start. The car drives fine, and the radio, lights etc seem to work fine, so i don't think its the battery.

Could it be spark plugs or something? Maybe if someone has had this happen to them could tell me what it might be, that would be great.

Thanks.

Mods: 17x7 ANZ Tazer Wheels with 215/40/17 Marangoni Tyres | AFE Air Intake System | NST Short Shifter Kit | NST Shifter Cable Bushing Kit | NST 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley | Pedders Sports Springs | Custom 2inch Cat-Back Walker Muffler with 2.5inch Xforce Twin Stainless Steel Tip | RS Side Skirts | RS Euro Spoiler | YRX Front Lip Spoiler | TRD Style Front Grill | 12mm Rear Hub Spacers | Ultra Racing 23mm Rear Sway Bar
ruimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
djgab101

Drives: toyota yaris
hey my brother drive a 2004 corolla and his is doing the same thing.... i think maybe it does this after u have dont alot of kilometer !!!

how many kilometer have u done in ur car... my bros has done 1000 km and his also does the same thing
djgab101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
ruimond

well its got almost 32,000km already. Don't think its anything to do with that.

Mods: 17x7 ANZ Tazer Wheels with 215/40/17 Marangoni Tyres | AFE Air Intake System | NST Short Shifter Kit | NST Shifter Cable Bushing Kit | NST 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley | Pedders Sports Springs | Custom 2inch Cat-Back Walker Muffler with 2.5inch Xforce Twin Stainless Steel Tip | RS Side Skirts | RS Euro Spoiler | YRX Front Lip Spoiler | TRD Style Front Grill | 12mm Rear Hub Spacers | Ultra Racing 23mm Rear Sway Bar
Old 12-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
Mine did it when I had 800 miles on it, but it didn't crank slow, it just over cranks once the engine is on, and does still does do it rarely. I asked the dealer about it they could not find any thing wrong with the car.

Last edited by Cutie Pie #2; 12-27-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
How many times has your battery died?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
xpeteyjtx

Drives: 07 BB Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruimond View Post
Hey guys,

Been having this problem for a few months already, but haven't really gone to have a look at it really. As it hasn't really affected the car. But was wondering if anyone had experienced a simalar problem.

Very rarely this happens, but it does...happened today but the last time was maybe a few weeks ago. Whenever i start the car i can hear the engine cranking but it won't kick in till a few seconds later, its kinda like a delayed start. The car drives fine, and the radio, lights etc seem to work fine, so i don't think its the battery.

Could it be spark plugs or something? Maybe if someone has had this happen to them could tell me what it might be, that would be great.

Thanks.
Can you clarify a few things...
So it cranks slower than usual? and it cranks over 1 or 2 more times and then starts?

What is the ambient temperature when this occurs? If its cold out (around freezing or below) then the Yaris will experience those symptoms. ChinoCharles brings up a good point... auto batteries don't like to be drained and then charged back up.
xpeteyjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
ruimond

It cranks a few times 2 or more times then starts. But it doesn't sound like its cranking slowly. Sounds like normal but just takes more cranks to start. So yeh it isn't instant like normal. My battery hasn't died, coz everything electrical wise has always worked.

Temperature was fairly warm the other day when it happened, its summer at the moment. But it has happened in winter before. Though we never get to around freezing temperatures really, so i think we could possibly rule that out. lol.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
it does happen to me.

do you let the gas pump go on (ie, let the light settled down, engine light ON) before cranking it ?
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:24 AM   #9
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
It has something to do with the temperature of your place now.
I know by chaning a battery will solve your problem.

These are my little tips to help you start your car better even though by changing to a new battery will solve all the problem.
Fasten your seat belt first, turn fan to zero, turn off radio, and then start your car.
I found these little step help me to start my car easier in the winter time here.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #10
xpeteyjtx

Drives: 07 BB Yaris
Quote:
It cranks a few times 2 or more times then starts. But it doesn't sound like its cranking slowly. Sounds like normal but just takes more cranks to start. So yeh it isn't instant like normal. My battery hasn't died, coz everything electrical wise has always worked.

Temperature was fairly warm the other day when it happened, its summer at the moment. But it has happened in winter before. Though we never get to around freezing temperatures really, so i think we could possibly rule that out. lol.
Many factors go into this issue...

We can rule out the battery.
It may take a few more turns to start the engine due to a previous short run. So let's say you started the engine and did not let the car run for a long time. Then, when you start it again, it may take a few more turns.
The other factor is cold weather.

Those are the major reasons for what you are experiencing. Obviously, it could be something else, but your situation sounds normal.
xpeteyjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #11
ruimond

Thanks for the replies guys. Been helpful.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #12
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Mine has been doing this it has been cold outside. Just cranks a little longer then usual. My sedan has almost 70,000 on it and I am going to go ahead and change the plugs probably.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:35 AM   #13
SL Runner

Drives: Toyota IST - Urban Cruiser
Hi...

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks.
Did you experience this problem again? I'm experiencing this issue every time I start my vehicle.-
SL Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
victorddr

Drives: 07 Yaris CE
Poor starting can be contribute by many factor. First thing to check will be your battery. If you have a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter), check if your battery have a minimum 12.4V (That is 75% of a fully charged car battery). Anything below that may cause slow start problem.
victorddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:57 AM   #15
SL Runner

Drives: Toyota IST - Urban Cruiser
Battery voltage is fine..Spark plugs (Iridium) checked and fine..Fuel pressure is normal, changed the Air Filter, Vehicle ODO is 20800, Engine light is not ON, but there is a DTC called 'vehicle start issue' if im not mistaken (cant remember the DTC code), cleaned throttle body too. I dont know what else to do... help me friends... I have started a separate thread for this.. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35594
SL Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #16
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
according to your other tread, if anyone is going to help you with your issue on yarisworld, CTScott is the man to help you as much as someone on a forum can. He knows his shit.
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
according to your other tread, if anyone is going to help you with your issue on yarisworld, CTScott is the man to help you as much as someone on a forum can. He knows his shit.
I'm kind of stumped on his, without seeing the car in person. Based on some PMs back and forth with him, the only thing I can see causing it is the fuel system depressurizing over time as it sits.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #18
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Is it basically the car turning over for several seconds and not fully starting. Relate this to us old people....does it sound like the carburator isn't getting gas?
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote