Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2021, 04:55 PM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Touch up advice needed for rusty scratches

Hello everybody,

I need some advice for touching up some rusty scratches.

QUESTION(S): Should I use touch up pens, a small brush, spray can or other?

What should I use to get rid of the rust before touch up?

Should I use primer paint before touch up?

Should I use clear coat after applying the touch up paint?

I am not sure what I should use or what touch up tools are out there.

I have inserted/attached pictures of the three scratches on the 1) right door, 2) right front window frame and 3) the hatch. There is a closeup and wide shot of each scratch.

Background: My car is a 2008 Bayou Blue Yaris. The car is over 13 years old, but in good mechanical condition. So I am not looking for perfection or glassy beauty & shine of the paint finish, just protection of the body & finish from rust and some improvement in appearance.

1) The door scratch was from rubbing against a white (painted) parking lot canopy support pillar. I plan to use rubbing compound to remove the white paint on the door.
2) The "scratch" on the window frame was made in a Montana hail storm by a hail stone. The hail stone struck which such force it dented the window frame and caused a crack in the paint above the hail stone impact dent.
3) The hatch scratch is actually from rubbing (I think) from a bike rack. The rubbing went through the paint down to primer and even through the primer to the underlying metal.

Thanks,

R.

DoorScratchCloseup.jpg

DoorScratchWideShot.jpg

WindowFrameScratchCloseup.jpg

WindowFrameScratchWideShot.jpg

HatchScratchCloseup.jpg

HatchScratchWideShot.jpg

Last edited by RMcG; 08-27-2021 at 01:37 AM.
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:56 PM   #2
Isaac1

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
A good rule of thumb is anything bigger than the size of a dime needs to by sprayed, and anything with rust needs sanding and prep with primer.
Isaac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:23 AM   #3
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac1 View Post
A good rule of thumb is anything bigger than the size of a dime needs to by sprayed, and anything with rust needs sanding and prep with primer.
Thanks Isaac,

Since there are two scratches, long and thin, is there anything like a "pen" for sanding to remove rust and a "pen" for applying primer? I know there are "pens" for applying touch up paint.

For the one "scratch" on the rear hatch, the bare metal/rust area is small, smaller than a dime. Is there anything that allows you to sand this limited area? Perhaps sand paper affixed somehow to a regular (non-Phillips head) screwdriver would work. Perhaps something like this scheme would allow sanding of the other scratches on the door and window frame.

Perhaps there are spray cans with tiny tubes in the nozzles like for WD40, see link .

Maybe I should just tape these areas with duct tape (for a tape that will protect against sanding), so that just a very small area around the scratches is exposed and then sand the exposed areas somehow. Then prime and touch up the scratches with brush or spray. On the other hand, the adhesive of the duct tape might be hard on the surrounding good paint & good finish, so maybe masking tape on the paint, with duct tape over the masking tape would be a better scheme.

Any comments from you or others will be appreciated.

Thanks,

R.

Last edited by RMcG; 08-27-2021 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:40 PM   #4
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
definitely knock that rust off with a magic eraser or some fine sandpaper first, then glob on your touch up paint, then you can use running compound to smooth it out a little
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 02:43 AM   #5
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
definitely knock that rust off with a magic eraser or some fine sandpaper first, then glob on your touch up paint, then you can use running compound to smooth it out a little
Thanks remcafee,

What grade sandpaper would you use? You mean rubbing compound, not running compound, don't you?

I looked at some information about using magic eraser to remove auto rust, and some people do use it successfully to remove auto rust. Thanks for the tip. I will investigate this more, as I want to use it correctly and intelligently and not damage the surrounding car finish.

Thanks again,

R.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:21 PM   #6
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
probably 400 grit to start then try 800 and then use magic eraser, yeah i meant rubbing compound lol, and then polish to bring back the dullness after rubbing compound, and finally wax or ceramic coat
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #7
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
those areas on your car could probably use sandpaper. i would use a metal etch primer after sanding, then base then clear. wait a few days 3000 grit paper to smooth then a little buffing compound. they make pens to clean rust from tiny spots like this :
https://www.amazon.com/Economy-Scrat...0180035&sr=8-5
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 01:46 AM   #8
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith6 View Post
those areas on your car could probably use sandpaper. i would use a metal etch primer after sanding, then base then clear. wait a few days 3000 grit paper to smooth then a little buffing compound. they make pens to clean rust from tiny spots like this :
https://www.amazon.com/Economy-Scrat...0180035&sr=8-5
Thanks bladesmith,

Can you or others recommend brands of primer, touch up paint (i.e., "base") or touch up clear coat?

Would you recommend small bottles with a small brush?

Thanks for the pen recommendation. I had also thought about wrapping sand/emery paper around a small non-Phillips head screw driver and fastening the sand/emery paper to the screwdriver using a hose clamp (that could be tightened by a screwdriver).

Further comments from you or others will be appreciated.

Thanks also for your recommendations remcafee, I appreciate them and will factor them into my thinking.

R.

Last edited by RMcG; 08-29-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:17 PM   #9
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
i would get a can of the 2K spray clear. you only have about 24-48 hours to use it after you activate the can but the durability of the clear is much better.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:17 AM   #10
RMcG

I called parts at a local Toyota dealer here today and gave them my VIN Number. They had a bottle or pen with the correct (base) paint color, Bayou Blue. I mentioned that I was dealing with scratches that had rusted and asked about a primer layer before applying the base touch-up and then following up clear coat over the base.

Surprisingly, they said primer and clear coat was not recommended for touching up.

QUESTION(S): Is this correct, is primer and/or clear coat not recommended for using with touch-up paint?

Thanks,

R.

Tags
rust, scratches, touch, touch-up