Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2022, 04:13 PM   #1
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
FIX FOUND hid/led "no high beam" indicator for pennys

ok so i know this is a VERY common issue and there are a ton of fixes out there most of them dont exist or are 20$+ and up and up....

that said i put hid's on my wifes 07, and found, sure enough the high beam indication doesnt light tho the highs do indeed work

knowing its a simple ecu "i dont see voltage being used" type of thing i went and ran thru some simple tests. starting with plugging in an h4 bulb on the unused right side harness, and yes the dash lit up
tested a 194(dash and marker bulb) and initialy i thought id failed, but then found you dont plug it into the HIGH beam side you plug it into the LOW side, and it lit the dash

test and re-test and its without fault

so knowing this, i looked up the 194's specs, roughly 4watt @50 ohm

i went digging thru my resistor stash and started tossing resistors at it and didnt need much, in fact i used what i "think" are a pair of .43k ohm, in parallel by just twisting the ends together and stuffing it into the socket, sure enough the dash lights up

anyone whos played with led's likely has the resistors laying around, or...enough of them to re-produce the same fix at zero cost

the resistors i used were tiny blue ones with 5 stripes yellow, red, black, black, red

hope this helps everyone, i suspect it will work on other years and makes, since i doubt toyota changed how the system senses stuff
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:42 AM   #2
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Very nice. I wonder if this fix would need tampering if going back to halogen. I keep halogens ready for emergencies as I've had LEDs burn out too
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:27 PM   #3
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndestructibleYaris View Post
Very nice. I wonder if this fix would need tampering if going back to halogen. I keep halogens ready for emergencies as I've had LEDs burn out too
considering i pluged em into the spare socket youd be unplugging them if you put the halogens back in anyway, and being very..VERY low resistance, id bet if you only had to put in one halogen it would have no bearing on anything..either way i too carry spares just encase...i cant see it having any effect if you hardwired it even
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote