Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2020, 08:11 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Lowing Springs vs Coilovers

I've been vacillating between coilovers and lowering springs for the past couple of weeks. I have a number of things that I plan to do to the car that will require some significant funds, so I'm inclined to take the cheaper route here. The stock handling with TRD rear sway bar is pretty good, but I want to go a bit lower; about 1" lower. I have no plans of tracking the car but would like a wee bit more cornering stability. I polled Trevor (tmontague) and appreciate his advice, which is basically that if I'm not tracking my car and just want a bit of an improvement in handling, plus my 1" drop, go for the lowering springs and aftermarket dampers. Hope you don't mind me paraphrasing you, Trevor.

Anyway, here are some pics of my current setup. I realized a day or two ago, that I can't lower the car much more than an inch or I'll be getting close to my turbo drain hose. I'm optimistic that the Eibach Pro Kit (assuming I can get my hands on them, been having a little trouble contacting the outfit) 1" drop will allow me lower the car without contact with the car body under all driving conditions.

Rear

Rear

Rear

Front

Front

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:35 PM   #2
06YarisRS

Just bit the bullet. Ordered a set of Eibach springs from Tunershop. We shall see if it goes through. They're coming from Germany, seemingly unavailable in the USA or Canada. I'll have to borrow a set of spring compressors from our school shop.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 07-09-2020, 04:16 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Which damper set are you going with? That's the nice thing about (quality) coilovers. They're usually valved/matched for their intended spring rates.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:16 AM   #4
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Which damper set are you going with? That's the nice thing about (quality) coilovers. They're usually valved/matched for their intended spring rates.
According to Eibach, these are designed to go with the stock dampers. I assume, since they're vehicle specific, they would be designed around the OE spring characteristics. I'll try that and if it's not what I'm looking for, I'll look into appropriate dampers. It may be moot anyway, as I received an email this morning from tunershop Germany and they inform me that they are out of stock. If I didn't get the last set, I'll cancel my order as I'm not waiting a month or two, which apparently is when they will have stock again.

Yesterday, I spoke with a Canadian outfit and got lots of info on this coilover set. They seemed to know their stuff and recommended a custom spring rate based on the fact that my car is a hatch as opposed to a sedan. Although they don't sell Fortune Auto coilovers, they will eventually become a certified dealer. They suggested Fortune Auto coilovers as an alternative. I was rather surprised that they'd recommend the purchase of someone else's product.

https://racingcoiloverscanada.com/pr...8c9e504c&_ss=r

Old 07-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #5
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
Damn. Should have looked into the Bilstein B12 kit. Comes with B8 shocks and Eibach springs. I threw them in my car and have been pretty happy with them.

However, now I wish I had of gone the B14 coilover kit as I want the car a little lower.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:36 AM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
Damn. Should have looked into the Bilstein B12 kit. Comes with B8 shocks and Eibach springs. I threw them in my car and have been pretty happy with them.

However, now I wish I had of gone the B14 coilover kit as I want the car a little lower.
Hah, I was just looking at this and about to post.

http://garage16.ca/bilstein/bilstein...i-2444199.aspx

Old 07-09-2020, 06:41 AM   #7
stidnam

Yeah, I wish I'd gone those now.

Jason@SportsCar put some in his daily according to this thread

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...postcount=1302

*edit* based on that price in your link, it'd nearly be cheaper to buy them out of the UK as well.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:51 AM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:
Yeah, I wish I'd gone those now.

Jason@SportsCar put some in his daily according to this thread

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...postcount=1302

*edit* based on that price in your link, it'd nearly be cheaper to buy them out of the UK as well.
They are nice, but for a few hundred more, I could get fully adjustable coilovers. I'm assuming the pic in my link is a generic pic. I assume so as the kit in Jason@SportsCar's pic shows separate rear springs and shocks as opposed to the website pic that shows the rears as coilover shocks.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
06YarisRS

Here is another coilover possibility. I read several reviews and these seemingly pretty good.

https://www.tdotperformance.ca/hsd-h...itz-ncp91.html

Old 07-09-2020, 07:55 AM   #10
stidnam

Yes, the picture on the site was just a generic picture.

Point taken about adjustability. However, even with my other car that has fully adjustable coilovers, I've only tweaked things to the point that I'm happy with and then set and forget. I'd hypothesis that if the shocks are overall better quality with better matched valving and spring rates, they'd perform and feel better than a cheaper adjustable coilover. In saying that, I've not looked into HSD, nor do I know whether they are any chop for daily driving :)
Old 07-09-2020, 08:09 AM   #11
06YarisRS

Quote:
Yes, the picture on the site was just a generic picture.

Point taken about adjustability. However, even with my other car that has fully adjustable coilovers, I've only tweaked things to the point that I'm happy with and then set and forget. I'd hypothesis that if the shocks are overall better quality with better matched valving and spring rates, they'd perform and feel better than a cheaper adjustable coilover. In saying that, I've not looked into HSD, nor do I know whether they are any chop for daily driving :)
Thanks. Yes, I likely too would leave the settings once set. I am fond of the concept of adjustability to get that initial setting. With a coilover set, I might be able to overcome potential obstacles, such as my turbo drain and fender clearances should they arise.

I just got the anticipated email from TunerShop Germany. They won't have stock of the Eibachs until 22 July. I cancelled, so am now, again, looking. A little disappointing though it may ultimately be for the best.

I watched a few videos on the HSD coilovers and they do seem to be good quality. I'll be doing more research.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #12
06YarisRS

The deal is done. I bought this coilover set, but for $849.00 CAD from another outfit. Shipping is $110.00. $1083.00 all in. I hope I've made the right decision. I read many 'testimonials' and watched videos. Apparently it's a very 'streetable' set.

https://www.tdotperformance.ca/hsd-h...itz-ncp91.html

Obviously, this is a generic pic:

Old 07-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #13
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Nice! Do they come with all the mounts or do you need to re-use anything from the stock struts?
Old 07-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #14
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Nice! Do they come with all the mounts or do you need to re-use anything from the stock struts?
I'm pretty sure that the factory strut mounts need to be reused. I'll Likely pick up a set of new ones. They do look nice, don't they. The reviews I've read have been overwhelmingly positive as compared to the 'eBay type' coilovers, such as Godspeed, Rev9, for example.

Here are some pics of the car as it is. I think a 1" drop to start will be good. I may have to use a heat gun on the plastic front inner fender liner edge. Fortunately the plastic liner which extends inward can be easily moulded upwards. I'm pretty sure the tires will completely clear the quarter panel wheel well edges.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #15
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Makes sense. I think a 1 inch drop will look fantastic and provide a good handling improvement.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I think you shouldn't rub with a 1" drop. I didn't rub with Tein S.Tech springs on OEM dampers, and those drop the car a lot. But then again, I wasn't running wide tires. lol
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:12 PM   #17
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Makes sense. I think a 1 inch drop will look fantastic and provide a good handling improvement.
I think so too, Leegamer.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:14 PM   #18
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
I think you shouldn't rub with a 1" drop. I didn't rub with Tein S.Tech springs on OEM dampers, and those drop the car a lot. But then again, I wasn't running wide tires. lol
Yeah, I hope it won't rub. This is part of the reason I went with coilovers. More adjustability. Even if I don't get a full 1" drop, I will get better handling.