Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #19
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
Are you sure you can tune that with just the FIC?

I was sure an E-manage was a necessity when boosted... For reliability without a check-engine light...
Both are piggybacks that essentially can be used in the same ways (I believe the FIC may even have more functionality).

I've been driving around for about 2 weeks without a tune and see no reason to mess with timing and ignition, as the ECM handles that just fine. There may be some performance to gain by advancing timing, but that's a very grey area because the ECM is likely to try and work around it. Maybe in a couple months, and if I like my tuner, I'll mess around with those. For now, the only problem is really the air/fuel ratio. In all honesty, with 1ZZ injectors in and no tune, the AFR is still pretty safe right up to about 5 psi. Then it begins to get really lean. I've yet to experience any knocking running on 93 octance gas.

Also, running with a CEL isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not all CELs indicate a serious issue. Many of them are just the ECU's way of indicating something abnormal... And if you know what you're doing and why you're getting those CELs, it isn't really a big deal. Nonetheless, if I'm correct about the CELs I do currently have, a proper tune with MAF clamping included should sort them out anyways.

2manywheels, thanks a bunch for the PDFs.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #20
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
running with a CEL isn't necessarily a bad thing.
If the CEL is causing the ECU to go into "limp home mode", which the kind you are getting do, that is a very bad thing.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #21
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
If the CEL is causing the ECU to go into "limp home mode", which the kind you are getting do, that is a very bad thing.
Agreed, but actually P0101 is the one MAF code that doesn't cause limp mode lol. P0100, P0102 and P0103 all would cause it though.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #22
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Blinking cel is the one u dont want to see.

If blinking it is unsafe to drive.

Source: Toyota
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #23
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Limp-home mode is not good for your motor, whether the CEL is blinking or not.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #24
sleey0

Thanks.for.that but i would hope.we all know limpy is unsafe. Goes.without sayin, imo.
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #25
Focus_Sh1ft

Yeah limp mode is no fun. I had to drive home for the first time in limp mode on thursday when I was having battery problems.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #26
sleey0

You got brass balls, focus.

I truly admire you.

I am still having issues getting into contact with zage. Grace answers emails but doesn't even really answer my questions.

Got any other contacts? Phone numbers? etc

Thanks!

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #27
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleey0 View Post
You got brass balls, focus.

I truly admire you.

I am still having issues getting into contact with zage. Grace answers emails but doesn't even really answer my questions.

Got any other contacts? Phone numbers? etc

Thanks!
I'd ask her if she can refer you to anyone else. I did all of my transaction through her, but come to think of it, I didn't really ask her any technical questions.

If anything, she is incredibly nice
Old 10-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #28
sleey0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
I'd ask her if she can refer you to anyone else. I did all of my transaction through her, but come to think of it, I didn't really ask her any technical questions.

If anything, she is incredibly nice
Will do.

And thanks!

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #29
sleey0

Question for you experts. Say I get the zage and then want to drop in a different turbo. Look at the zage dowbpipe flange.

Can ANYONE see if another turbo (greddy, hks, etc) will work with the 4 bolt flange? I know that only a small turbo would fit but that can be managed. I just want to know if that flange can be used with another turbo.

Let's say it blows for whatever reason. Getting another turbo besides the zage would be much easier (for me at least) than dealing with zage.

I know the garrett will not fit becaue of the 5 bolt pattern.

Thanks, fellas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ManiTurbo.jpg (162.8 KB, 593 views)

xbgod - 9/23/2010

Last edited by sleey0; 10-04-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #30
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
I just sent you an E-mail on this kit and what to do. build this bitch already.

Aras
xbgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #31
sleey0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgod View Post
I just sent you an E-mail on this kit and what to do. build this bitch already.

Aras
Got it and I will once I play with a Blitz for a while:)

Twin charged Yaris, anyone?

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #32
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
Ok,

Here's my opinon. After much research on the Zage kit, here is what I found out. That kit for your car uses a 15G turbo which is one step higher than the Greddy 14G kit which means more power. Zage is using a Mitsubishi turbo just like Greddy for their kits so your still getting a Mitsubishi turbo either way. The Zage kit quite nice, more than enough power for your stock motor. You will still need engine management for that kit too as it does not come with it.

Here is what you do. Get the Zage kit use a AEM/FIC, Greddy boost controller and timmer and Run a AEM water Methanol kit. You can safely turn up the boost with the Greddy boost controller and use the Methanol kit to control the detonation. You will have unbeliveable power with that set-up. You could run 10lb no problem. Do not do more than this for your DD. YOU WILL BLOW THAT MOTOR UP!!!!! Unless you have deeper pockets to build a motor than do just this and you will be very happy.

This is my advice to you, take it or leave it. But you'll be bitting off more than you can chew if your not careful.

Also don't make all the same mistakes I did. If you want to turbo charge then go turbo don't waste your energy or money on a S/C. Not worth all the effort to change it all around to a different type of system.

XBG
xbgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #33
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ +1 million

Really no need to discuss it any further, that says it all. Looking forward to your build.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #34
sleey0

I just want to know how aras found out about the zage using mits internals?

Thats all.
XBG and garm have been truthfull 100%,but where thiis mitssu turbo came from I want to know more!'

Thank, guys!
Wes

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #35
sleey0

Oh, and focus_shift

Are u reading these posts!

Might make u happy!!!!

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #36
sleey0

And as always, thank you aras and garm for your patiene with me.

I am somewhat new to this so please be kind.

I know I get a little carried away but it is just my enthusiasim! I have NEVER had my own boosted car, and in the next month or so i will!

Can you appreciate that? Remember back to your first boosted car? Wasn't it thrilling?

Well i am going through that now, happily eagerly.

:D

xbgod - 9/23/2010