Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
I pulled the trigger! - 6-spd Manual 2020 Corolla SE Sedan

Well, I decided to go ahead & pull the trigger on a 2020 Toyota Corolla SE Sedan this last weekend (Super White, 6-spd manual - the only trim with the manual option). The deal was way too good to pass up. It was another case of an unwanted manual-transmission beauty sitting on a local dealer lot for a bit over 4 months, and a dealer who just wanted to move it. My 5-spd manual Yaris SE sat unwanted for 11 months in Colorado Springs before I bought it in 2015.

Since the purchase Saturday, my reset onboard computer has me averaging 41.1 MPG during my break-in period thus far, which is only slightly less than what my Yaris was averaging for me over the years (it was averaging 42.x MPG). I filled the Corolla up to the brim with fuel, so that I can manually calculate the MPG after driving for a full week, & see how it matches up to the onboard computer calculations.

I'm still getting used to having 6 shift gears instead of 5, but it's all good (5 gears is really more my speed though, & seems more practical for a manual). Shifting is smooth, clutch feel is silky-sweet & the 2.0L 169 horsepower Dynamic Force direct+port-injection engine really is the perfect balance of fun & economy. Toyota has really upped their game since the last-gen Corolla in terms of feel, comfort, stance & even styling (which looks a lot better in person than the weird/compressed camera angle pics that you mostly see on the net). Nothing about this car feels like a compact economy car (at least in the SE+ sedan trim level), though technically it is more the size of what my 2000 Accord EX sedan was back in the day before they started making them too large. Still, I do miss some of the minimalistic, rustic & basic elements of my Yaris, and even its endearing, featherweight go-cart driving/handling qualities. This car still has too much stupid/unnecessary tech-bloat features for my taste, and it's not even an XSE. It's interesting how the SE sedan is more like the XSE sedan, overall, than the SE Corolla hatchback is to the XSE hatchback.

I will use this thread to post some pics in the coming weeks, as well as post my likes, dislikes, & random impressions/thoughts about the car relative to my 2015 Yaris ownership experience. I have a few ideas on some minor, tasteful mods, including a creative way to break up the solid black/dark-gray grill & L/R light housings on the front maw of the sedan to give it more of a traditional look. I'm still pissed that Toyota discontinued the upcoming TNGA Yaris for the U.S./NA market - as I would have bought one of those in the SE+ trim for sure instead if it was available here.

-

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 08-27-2019 at 12:52 AM.
KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
KALISPEL II

One interesting thing that I had noticed during my car research & buying experience around here is that all the newer arriving 2020 Corolla sedans (CVT & Manual) no longer have J-prefix VIN numbers & are Made-in-USA. The one that I purchased, having sat on the lot for 4 months as it had, was a Made-in-Japan J-prefix VIN number version. Old habits die hard, & I still associate Made-in-Japan with better overall build-quality, attention-to-detail & fitment.

The Made-in-USA (SE/XSE) version sedan also uses different brand 225/40/R18 A/S tires (Bridgestone I think). The Made-in-Japan version sedan (SE/XSE) has Yokohama 225/40/R18 A/S tires.

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 08-26-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:17 PM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Congrats! Made in Japan! Super white is nice. (Pearl white is fugly).

I agree... the new Corolla looks so much better in person.

Looking forward to some photos.

Did you trade or sell the Yaris?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:58 AM   #4
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Congrats! Made in Japan! Super white is nice. (Pearl white is fugly).

I agree... the new Corolla looks so much better in person.

Looking forward to some photos.

Did you trade or sell the Yaris?
I'm not a fan of the Blizzard Pearl white either. I really would have & should have gotten a Barcelona Red or Celestial Gray one, but white is just the most practical color out here in South Arizona & that was the one that I could land the great price deal with, since it was sitting around for 4 months unloved. Plus, Super White looks great with this car also.

I was lazy & traded my little Yari in, since I don't really have the time or patience to sell it myself currently. I was able to get the top KBB trade value for the car, however, in the excellent condition level. The dealership will still make several thousand dollars on it at least I'm sure, and whoever buys it will get a sweet little well-cared-for Yari with all the tasteful upgrades & mods (like TRD rear sway bar, shark fin antennae, etc.) that I did to it.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Congrats on the new car purchase! Thank you for continuing to purchase manual transmission vehicles. I'm not sure we can change the manufacturer's minds at this point, but every one sold is a message that not everyone wants a CVT forced upon them. I just get bored driving our Camry(still a great car however), but my Echo always gives me a smile when I can downshift to pass or roll backwards when somebody gets too close at a stop
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Sounds like a nice car! I like the way they look, personally. Though, I would prefer a hatch over a sedan.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Congrats!! Like I always say, new cars are fun. Like Lee, I'd prefer a hatch. Regardless, sounds really good so far. Looking forward to the coming pics.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
. We looked at the some COROLLAs over the weekend . The window stickers gave me chills . Prices were $20,000 + . Very nice looking outside and in . Really like the hatch . How much of a discount did you get ? Keep us up to date on fuel economy , etc.. Enjoy .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:26 PM   #9
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
getting a new car is always fun

sorry to see the yaris go
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #10
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
. We looked at the some COROLLAs over the weekend . The window stickers gave me chills . Prices were $20,000 + . Very nice looking outside and in . Really like the hatch . How much of a discount did you get ? Keep us up to date on fuel economy , etc.. Enjoy .
The SE Sedan manual retails (MSRP) for around $23,700 before dealer options, taxes & fees. I picked up mine for $19,500 including all the installed dealer options (alloy wheel locks, trunk carpeted mat, all-weather front/rear floor mats, upper rear bumper black rubber/plastic scratch protector, nano-hybrid carbon tinted side/rear windows & an added alarm system) - but not including Tax & Title/Reg/Doc-fees or trade credit. Strangely enough, I also ended up with a free set of front/rear carpeted floor mats, because whoever installed the all-weather mats just laid them over the top of the carpeted mats that were already there (I just wanted them switched out, lol). I was wondering why the drivers side one wouldn't clip into the two restraining safety clips when I got home & found the carpeted version mats under the all-weather ones. I really didn't want the alarm system, but it was already installed in the car & at the price I got the car for, what the heck I guess. I also managed to squeeze $8500 trade-in for my 2015 Yaris SE with $57K miles, which is slightly above KBB excellent/top condition trade value. Not as good as selling it myself obviously, but things just sort of happened quickly & I bought a new car before I had planned to (was going to wait until 2020 sometime). The dealership knew that I wouldn't budge on price, & was prepared to wait another year to buy a car, so they had to sell it (& give trade value) at price I was comfortable with or I would just walk. Nobody else was showing interest in that car, considering that it was sitting on the lot for over 4 months, so they opted to move it while they could.

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 08-30-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #11
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Sounds like a nice car! I like the way they look, personally. Though, I would prefer a hatch over a sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Congrats!! Like I always say, new cars are fun. Like Lee, I'd prefer a hatch. Regardless, sounds really good so far. Looking forward to the coming pics.
I liked both the XSE hatch manual & SE sedan manual, but I gravitated toward the sedan more because the hatch just seemed a bit too "youthful" looking for me now (especially those with the big added rear spoiler), plus the remaining 2019 hatchbacks are in far shorter inventory supply currently, with only a few manuals left anywhere around Phoenix, AZ (just one in black & one in silver that I saw in the area). I don't think any new hatchbacks will be hitting dealer lots until the 2020 one is shipped. I already miss not having a (greater utility) hatchback, and just shake my head sadly when I look into my deep but shallow sedan trunk. But, on the bright side, the SE/XSE sedan has a more mature, sophisticated look in-person (& better front styling IMO) & just felt like a better fit for me at my age. Compared to the previous-gen Corolla, this thing is like a mini-Lexus. Toyota has really upped their game with the TNGA updates.

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 08-29-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:32 PM   #12
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Congrats on the new car purchase! Thank you for continuing to purchase manual transmission vehicles. I'm not sure we can change the manufacturer's minds at this point, but every one sold is a message that not everyone wants a CVT forced upon them. I just get bored driving our Camry(still a great car however), but my Echo always gives me a smile when I can downshift to pass or roll backwards when somebody gets too close at a stop
I just enjoy driving manuals too much to give them up quite yet, even in my 50's. I've never own an automatic, so have been driving manuals since 1982. It's second nature to drive one, & I love the feeling of extra control that you have over the engine/car in general.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:47 PM   #13
KALISPEL II

First Week MPG Results with 6-spd manual 2020 Corolla SE Sedan:

249.7 Miles Driven

On-Board Computer MPG Calculation: 42.2 MPG
Manual Calculation: 5.969 Gallons SHELL Regular/87 Octane used = 41.833 MPG

For reference purposes, My 5-spd manual 2015 Yaris SE averaged mid-high 42.X (sometimes 43.X) during my 4 years of doing the same commute/errand driving. Considering that the Corolla is at least 700-800 lbs heavier & has 63 more horsepower, it isn't doing too badly versus my Yaris in overall MPG. The benefits of the newer direct+port injection TNGA engine tech & extra 6th overdrive gear no doubt. I'm hoping this 2.0L TNGA engine proves as reliable as the steadfast Yaris 1.5L 1NZ-FE engine.

For the record, I am a pretty laid-back, conservative driver (never in a hurry) most of the time, but by no means the hyper-mile type.

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 09-02-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #14
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
If that engine is anything like my yaris, it didn't get peak mileage till close to 30K miles.Mine has had the slowest break in period of anything I've ever owned.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #15
KALISPEL II

Based on my short tenure of ownership thus far, I would have to say the major immediate likes & dislikes are:

(1) Love the nice automatic climate control system & just the premium/comfortable/insulated feel of the interior in general. Seats are plush, soft, sporty & super comfortable. Clutch & shifter also have a premium & silky smooth operating feel to them (not even sure why anyone would even need the iMT feature turned on). Wind noise is also minimal within the cabin. It's just a really nice place to be (with one caveat - see below)

(2) The SE/XSE TNGA 2.0L engine really is the perfect blend of economy & get-up-and-go (for me anyway), depending on how you choose to drive it at any given time. Engine feels smooth & willing, with available power at all the right bands.

(3) Love the styling on the 2020 SE/XSE sedan, overall. Looks modern, has an aggressive, wider, sporty stance, etc. Big step-up over the previous-gen Corolla sedan.

(4) All the so-called safety-sense tech-bloat nonsense for geriatric, distracted or intoxicated drivers can be turned off & ignored for those of use who are proper, alert defensive drivers.

(5) I like having a nice, integrated console-storage armrest again, & it actually doesn't interfere with the manual shifting dynamics that it would in some cars.

Dislikes:

(1) Whoever came up with key-less ignition & those stupid automatic proximity fobs should be shot. Plus, it makes the car easier to steal/access if you don't take the proper Faraday storage precautions with your fob. Give me a regular car key with remote manual lock/unlock remote any day. Stupid, inconvenient tech bloat posing as a convenience feature IMO. If I had to name ONE thing that I liked least about this car, THIS WOULD BE IT.

(2) Still not a fan of the protruding positioning & look of the touchscreen unit in the vehicle. It's easy to operate but an eyesore in an otherwise spectacular interior.

(3) Still wish that Toyota would have went with 17" alloy wheels of the same great look/design as the 18", with either 45 or 50 profile tires for the SE/XSE. As expected with 225/40 tires, ride quality suffers somewhat (great suspension helps though) & road/tire noise can be pronounced to varying degrees on all but the best of roads. I guess that is the price to pay for more sporty design characteristics.

(4) I already miss the utility of a hatch somewhat, but the trunk is pretty roomy at least. Something about the Corolla XSE hatch just didn't do it for me, compared to the sedan version.

(5) I really would rather have a regular old-school pull-brake emergency brake system than the e-brake switch it has, but it isn't horrible or anything. Just something to get used to.

-

I plan to give her my first wash/wax/detail treatment this weekend or next. I will get some pics to post in this thread then. Also waiting for license plate, so I can ditch the dealer temp tag on the car now. I'm reusing the nice white-matte painted license frame from my Yaris. I also kept the Toyota OEM lidded coin cup from my the Yaris, since it fits perfectly in one of the cup holders of this car also.

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 09-03-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:57 AM   #16
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I just purchased a 2020 Corolla LE.. The bottom line of the sticker was $21,800 and I wrote the check for 20,300 so I think I got a good deal. I bought it for the adaptive cruise control since I have Parkinson’s. I don’t need the lane hauling or vehicle spacing features yet, but the automatic braking saved an accident whend someone made a left-hand turn in front of me and Stopped in front of me. I’d beat the car to the brake pedal. But the car stopped before I could apply pressure.

It’s a beautiful car and best of all it’s made in Japan!
Old 09-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #17
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Hey, hey, congrats to you both! It's fun watching a couple guys that have been in Yaris' for years make the transition and hear your impressions as it's all happening.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #18
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
I liked my Yarii and Corolla hatchbacks. Shame I had to sell them :( Still have my 2007 and my wife has her 2012 though.

But such is life... I drive a Outlander Sport now so that's something.