Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2020, 11:54 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Rotor Painting Experiment

Since I had a bit of 2K epoxy primer let from my wheel restoration, I thought I do a little rotor painting experiment. I've had a set of rotors for the Yaris sitting on the shelf forever. These cars never seem to need new rotors.
Anyway, I degreased them really well and then shot them with a couple coats of the primer. This epoxy is supposed to hold to metal like nobody's business. I then topped it with 3 coats of VHT Flameproof ceramic paint.

The reason I call it an 'experiment' is that I really have no idea how much heat epoxy can take. I know of the G2 epoxy kit for calipers but they don't get nearly as hot as the rotors themselves. I know that the VHT paint can handle the extreme heat, but what it can't do is hang on to the rotor for very long. I does not adhere very well.

I'll be surprised if this paint job lasts much longer than the summer, but maybe I'll be surprised. I'll remove the over spray from the contact surface with a razor blade before installing. I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of performance brake pads. I'm leaning toward the Hawk pads, but they're so dang expensive here in Canuk land. I can get the Powerstop z23 pads for a fair bit less.

On to the pics:

Epoxy Primer

VHT Paint

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
My concern is: What happens to the brakes as the paint is worn/burned?
I'm sure it would degrade brake performance but how & how much.
I'm interested to learn more.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonfb View Post
My concern is: What happens to the brakes as the paint is worn/burned?
I'm sure it would degrade brake performance but how & how much.
I'm interested to learn more.
What? The hats do not come into contact with the pads. OP said he is sanding off the overspray that actually got onto the rotor mating surface, so there should not be any issues with braking performance.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote