Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Detailing Methods/Procedures

Due to Wisconsin FINALLY starting to warm up, and also RaptorRacing's recent post, I really want to make my Yaris shine. Thing is, I'm not that experienced at detailing, and I'm looking for some input on the procedure/methods and products used (specific brands not required, but appreciated).

So far, I'm thinking an order something like this:

1.) Rinse/wash
2.) Detergent wash to remove existing wax job
3.) Clay Bar
4.) Polish
5.) Re-Wax

Any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
suckerface
#1 Lemming

bump
Old 05-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Not required to use a detergent based wash to strip the wax. Cause at the same time it strips nutrients from the paint leaving you with that horribly dull finish. Claybar and polish we will remove old wax and residue from your paint. You will know cause it will have a squeeky clean finish when you are done.

My advise is to first wash then towel dry. Then claybar atleast the roof and hood surfaces. Then use a polish. Then polyermer based wax or sealant. Let it dry for 24 hours and park in a garage if you can to cure and then put on another coat or your favorite carnuba based wax on top for the ultimate shine.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
the trick to using Claybar is to listen to your rubbing motions, dont use too much force, listen and feel for grittiness. go slow and use enough lubricant so it slides easy. ...sounds dirty LOL

but yeah, dont forget to wipe the liquid off, cuz not all of the grit will be in the bar it will be in the liquid. Break off small sections of the bar so in the event you drop it you wont waste an entire bar.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Thanks for the fantastic input!

Quote:
Let it dry for 24 hours and park in a garage if you can to cure and then put on another coat or your favorite carnuba based wax on top for the ultimate shine.
Is the purpose of the garage primarily to get it out of the sun, or also to keep dirt/junk off of the car? If I park it under a canopy, could that suffice?

Quote:
My advise is to first wash then towel dry
Currently, to dry I use a squeegee to get most of the water off, then a shammy-like towel to dry the remaining moisture off. Obviously, I'd be better off with trimmed micro fiber cloth towels, but is the squeegee a really bad idea to use?