Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-25-2009, 03:50 AM   #55
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
lol panda boy. why are you back? get banned on a scion forum?
keep in mind what got YOU banned..

do the right thing, ignore me, and i'll ignore you from now on
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:57 AM   #56
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Please add me to your ignore list.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #57
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
honestly, i dont see why you guys are doing superchargers and turbo kits. its a little K car, its not going to be fast in a straight line, but it can be a fun little car. bolt on some sticky tires and nice suspension, and its like a fwd miata; light, fun to drive and cheap.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #58
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
its not going to be fast in a straight line
False.

Quote:
easy to say when you've bought a 500$ turbo kit, but is slowly falling apart. you still haven't dyno'd your car. let's see some numbers before you wave to an imaginary s/c yaris. But for a fact, you are definately putting down more whp. We are all just curious to see how much, and I highly doubt you'll be in the 13s on a 1/4. But good luck.

*when i retune with a larger tb/injectors, we might be seeing similar numbers if you don't upgrade your kit.
I've got one bad bolt, Peter... lets keep it in perspective. The kit isn't "falling apart." It doesn't change the fact that $3500 is a hilarious amount of money to spend on 50 HP. I just don't get it.

We need a turbo kit.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #59
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Its can be made into an under 2000 lb car with a built engine and a turbo you can be sure as hell it will be fast in a straight line...

Ok we can't argue over whose supercharger or turbo charger is better, they all have their advantages/disadvantages.

Supercharger

Ease of install
colder air charge if turbo is run without intercooler
no oil/coolant lines
but has parasitic loss from the engine and consumes power before it even makes power.

Turbo
easy to install if you have all of the piping/parts
boost can be adjusted at will
damn oil/coolant lines
need an intercooler
takes energy from exhaust and recycles it :P

But honestly if you had a turbo kit vs. a supercharger kit and all the parts laid out and ready to slap on there without doing any work to the car. I would take the turbo kit, but this is A's and B's since this car isn't going past a certain amount of power without some major work done. And also if you were going to want power with upgraded internals on a SC kit, you would have an eaton right now... But if i just wanted it for fun spirited daily driving i would pick the Blitz supercharger kit that Garm has...

They both have their fair share of reliability issues where pulley slips or shreds belts on the SC or the, well you know i haven't really seen a turbo get messed up from itself, someone chime in if they can think of something

Last edited by Nexus1155; 04-25-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #60
yarissr57
Love Motor Racing

Drives: Yaris SR 1.3
Hey i agree too.

Recently had my yaris lowered on TRD springs and new alloys and tires fitted. Once finished, hoping to write to Banzai. Maybe they could do something about the Yaris scene.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #61
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
I seriously wish we could get back on topic and THREAD specific.
There's fast drivers and fast cars. This thread is obviously for fast drivers.

All the S.C./T.C. comments need to stay away. Yes, we all know that the car can be made "faster" in a straight line. Enough to be as fast as a stock corolla. Or a stock scion. Or a stock,xxx. You see where i'm going with this? If you wanted to build a fast straight line car,
for the price of what you threw down, you coulda had a matrix xrs,corolla xrs, etc. And since you're not doing any real racing, still have your warranty. B/C i know many who modify here won't blame the parts when something breaks, they will want toyota to pay for their mistakes.

You gotta pay to play, bottom line.

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #62
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
Its can be made into an under 2000 lb car with a built engine and a turbo you can be sure as hell it will be fast in a straight line...

Ok we can't argue over whose supercharger or turbo charger is better, they all have their advantages/disadvantages.

Supercharger

Ease of install
colder air charge if turbo is run without intercooler
no oil/coolant lines
but has parasitic loss from the engine and consumes power before it even makes power.

Turbo
easy to install if you have all of the piping/parts
boost can be adjusted at will
damn oil/coolant lines
need an intercooler
takes energy from exhaust and recycles it :P

But honestly if you had a turbo kit vs. a supercharger kit and all the parts laid out and ready to slap on there without doing any work to the car. I would take the turbo kit, but this is A's and B's since this car isn't going past a certain amount of power without some major work done. And also if you were going to want power with upgraded internals on a SC kit, you would have an eaton right now... But if i just wanted it for fun spirited daily driving i would pick the Blitz supercharger kit that Garm has...

They both have their fair share of reliability issues where pulley slips or shreds belts on the SC or the, well you know i haven't really seen a turbo get messed up from itself, someone chime in if they can think of something
Nexus,
Those who heavily track their turbocharged cars need to let it cool down before shutting the power off, be it oil or water cooled. I have seen some nasty nasty mishaps.

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #63
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
False.

I've got one bad bolt, Peter... lets keep it in perspective. The kit isn't "falling apart." It doesn't change the fact that $3500 is a hilarious amount of money to spend on 50 HP. I just don't get it.

We need a turbo kit.
You are proving my point by you putting the price of the S/C into perspective. It's easy for you to talk when you got the kit at a ridiculous low price. Let's face it, if that offer didn't come about, you would definately still be N/A right now. Can we agree on that? Some people were just dying for boost, no matter what the cost. The blitz had to suffice.

ps: I got the kit for much cheaper than you listed. Shhh.. Don't tell anyone.

K i'm done back to the topic. But yah, seriously, let's be honest....not many people besides garm or tamago are crazy enough to fab their own turbo kits for this engine (besides people out of states). People want a foolproof kit, tuned,proven, and ready to be plug and play. Heck, that's why I got the blitz. Before the yaris, I would think that most of the blitz owners have no experience with boosted engines (myself), and this was a fun alternative way of getting some extra power. And when there is such limited supply of kits out there, for the blitz, it's supply and demand. That's all......... :)
Old 04-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #64
ChinoCharles
Banned

You could source the same turbo, manifold, BOV, piggyback and wastegate used on my kit for around $1250.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #65
Tamago

let's also keep in mind, garm is not fabbing his own turbo kit. he's paying someone to do it for him..
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #66
ChinoCharles
Banned

I wonder if someone could just make and sell piping for a kit and let people source their own stuff? The biggest challenge about it right now is getting the kit piped and flanged right and all that crap.

Yes, I'll post the f'n map eventually.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #67
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
let's also keep in mind, garm is not fabbing his own turbo kit. he's paying someone to do it for him..
Old 04-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #68
Tamago

Quote:
I wonder if someone could just make and sell piping for a kit and let people source their own stuff? The biggest challenge about it right now is getting the kit piped and flanged right and all that crap.

Yes, I'll post the f'n map eventually.
get friendly with your local muffler shop.

they're already set up to do this for you.
you nailed it sir.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #69
ChinoCharles
Banned

Going back to my list of crap we need...

Quote:
1. Some exposure
2. More willing buyers
3. A viable piggyback tuning option
4. A formula and/or bolt on kit for reliable boost
5. Cheaper, more available upgrades geared toward 4: pistons, cams, head gasket, intake manifolds etc etc
I'm trying to work on the exposure end of things as best I can, but Garm is gonna take care of that soon methinks. Either way, we need 5 or 10 people to step up and say "I'm building a kit." It can be done.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #70
PETERPOOP

Quote:
You could source the same turbo, manifold, BOV, piggyback and wastegate used on my kit for around $1250.

You forgot to mention intercooler. But everything you mentioned there ended with "used." eww. And I definately would not use the emanage blue, but i follow ya. i COULD have, but wouldn't. You COULD have, but you wouldn't have either. You got the used kit. Just putting things into perspective..
Old 04-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #71
ChinoCharles
Banned

Its the only thing that we know of ATM that works short of a standalone. Yes, I would have bought it.

The E-manage blue may end up being the solution anyway. I called my tuner today, once the money tree grows a few more leaves I'm going to see what we can do.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #72
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
You forgot to mention intercooler. But everything you mentioned there ended with "used." eww. And I definately would not use the emanage blue, but i follow ya. i COULD have, but wouldn't. You COULD have, but you wouldn't have either. You got the used kit. Just putting things into perspective..
you dont' need an intercooler.
you nailed it sir.