Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
UkuleleLady

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Road Tripping Yaris... or should I just buy a van?

Hey Everyone, I'm new here but wanted to start a discussion about road tripping in a Yaris. I have a 2007 LB with about 130k miles. (yes, i'm sure it's been done)...

so, I've actually been thinking about buying a van - I actually almost bought a van a couple of days ago but rescinded my offer based on some advice from my dad. ANYWAY, I was camping this weekend and thinking more about keeping my yaris and trying to do some road trips in that.

First off, I just want to praise my Yaris for what it does, I have lots of love for this little car! They are much roomier than you could ever imagine. Current setup behind the front seats: two small coolers, 3 gals water, dog food container, bag of camping gear, and a ukulele. On top of the coolers is my giant duffel bag of gear, clothes whatever. In the back (the seat is ALWAYS folded down), I have a small card table, two dog beds stacked on top of one another, and a large rubbermaid bin full of wet kayaking gear (that wedges between the sides and the dog beds and stays secure). Then i throw a camping chair back there too. I can throw in some wood even, and still have room for my dog to comfortably lie down in the back.

When it comes time to sleep, I put the front seats forward, pull the card table up on top of the coolers/duffel bag to make the back flat and extend the space. bin of gear moves to front passenger seat, and the egg crate dog beds get turned around and perfectly fill out the back. Those are great for napping, but not overnight (sore hips), so I add a thermarest and it's perfect. I can totally stretch out and still have everything in the car. I've slept in my car a lot figuring out this system, and I think it works really well...

So... I keep wondering... do I really need a van?

I've thought of some improvements. Whatdya think?
- Remove backseat and build a platform in the back. I've seen the DIY thread. Can you leave the rear part that covers the spare tire, and just platform the other side on a hinge so it lifts up? I also think there is some other stuff I want to bring that wouldn't fit so well now, and this might open up some more space for me (like a larger water container, larger dog food container, coleman camp stove)...
- Has anyone done a house battery type system? So you can still have power without accidentally draining your starter battery. I am wondering if I removed the backseat if I'd have room to put one back there somewhere.
- Any other thoughts or ideas?

Mostly I'm just thinking out loud. A yaris will never be as comfortable as a van, but a van will never have the mpg of a yaris. But last weekend I was foiled by snow and not having the ground clearance to get to the campsites I was planning to stay at. I did find another snow free one, so all was well in the world :)

If you guys have any ideas or opinions, I'd love to hear them.
UkuleleLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Mongoose7

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Hello,
Wow, sounds like you've really got that camping in your Yaris figured out pretty good already. Would like to see some pictures of your set up..... got any??
I say if it works for ya, then go for it in the Yaris!!!!!
Mike
Mongoose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
UkuleleLady

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my pack job or bed, but I might be able to take some soon. It's about 50% still packed from last weekend.

Here's a pic of the space in the back once I'm packed and ready to go. There's a rubbermaid bin to the right of the dog. and i put an old torn tent footprint down on the beds in case of wet dog.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
UkuleleLady

sorry about the pic size...
Old 03-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Do a search around this website. There is someone here that has done exactly what you're asking. Took out his rear seat and put in a plywood floor, etc. Unfortunately, I've forgotten who it was exactly...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
UkuleleLady

Yeah, I saw one thread where he took everything out. don't remember a plywood floor though.. I'll have to go back and look at it again.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
UkuleleLady

I was just out there and had a revelation... With the seat in there, I can lift it up and have an alternate lounge spot. I didn't think to do that when hanging out on a rainy day, I normally set up a tarp. I pretty much have to lie down in the back or my head touches the ceiling. I can still lift up the seat with the table and beds in there...

I took pictures to show the idea for the bed. But I only have one in there and not my big duffel bag. I would pull that card table way towards the front and turn the bed sideways to fill out the entire back.

I think I'll want to make some reflectix panels or get window tint for the back. And also hang up a little curtain when I'm sleeping. It's fine how it is now for when I'm in the woods or at a campsite, but not so good for sleeping at a truck stop.

Unfortunately I can't upload the pics as attachments or upload to a photo album on this site, so let me find another way.

Last edited by UkuleleLady; 03-05-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
UkuleleLady

hopefully shadows and not water damage...

the basics:

with gear:

sampling of my junk:
Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
bairjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Making a platform for the rear is pretty easy and would gain you the thickness of the folded seat in headroom/volume.

Toyota used to offer, in some countries, a tent to mate to the hatch. There are a couple of aftermarket companies that still offer generic hatchback tents.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Very interesting thread, OP. I thought about doing the same thing, but I'm too tall (a bit over 6' 3" guy). I thought about getting a standard Prius or Prius V (do a search for 'Prius RV'...there is a lady who has driven a 2004 Prius abouk 50k miles around the U.S., using it as an 'RV') as my next car (my height wouldn't be an issue), but I don't know if I would use this aspect often enough to justify the extra cost.....and I recently decided against any Prius, as I still want to have a manual transmission.

What about getting a tent? I spent over 4 months in 2006 driving across Canada (Vancouver, BC to St. Johns', NL (Newfoundland and Labrador)) in a 2001 Suzuki Swift 3-door Hatch (same body as the last generation Geo Metro...smaller than a Yaris). I brought a 12' tent from Wal-Mart with me. The tent folded down to a very small footprint. Sometimes I stayed in a hotel or a motel, and sometimes I pitched my tent. The first time I used the tent was also the first time I'd ever put up a tent by myself. Five minutes after I finished, and had set up my air bed, it started raining (I was in Jasper, Alberta). I stayed dry, and the sound of the rain on the tent = . I ended up getting my Yaris (once back in the U.S. on this trip), because the roads at campgrounds in Newfoundland pretty much fried the remaining life of the steering rack in my Suzuki. I was already looking at the Yaris before I left on the trip .

I loved driving my Swift around Canada . I've been to 46 states in my Yaris (all but ID and MT (visited those in an AWD sedan), and of course HI and AK) and to Ontario, Canada...and I've never regretted doing so in a Yaris. If you are like some members (definitely not me) who can fix anything (or just about anything) that might go wrong on a van, that option would give you more room. Personally, I can't imagine doing that (because I wouldn't want to spend the extra money on gas..and would be worried it would break down).....and having already camped in your Yaris, you might find the van to be a waste.

Pic of dog = adorable. One thing that would definitely tip the scale in favor of the van would be if you plan to bring a dog with you. Person + Dog on long term camping/road trip in a Yaris ....NOT a good idea .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Making a platform for the rear is pretty easy and would gain you the thickness of the folded seat in headroom/volume.

Toyota used to offer, in some countries, a tent to mate to the hatch. There are a couple of aftermarket companies that still offer generic hatchback tents.

. I've spent a fair bit of time searching, and never found anything like this (namely, that showed a pic of a Yaris being used with the product). Habitents (?) makes one that encapsulates an open hatch into a tent, but the last time I looked they only made one for the Standard Prius (not the Prius c/Yaris Hybrid, nor a USDM Yaris).

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 03-05-2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Added - (namely.......product)
Old 03-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
Old 03-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #14
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
The Yaris is a great road trip car. It's reliability and fuel economy make it ideal. Don't know why some people think small cars are only good for the city.

I know the OP isn't simply driving from A-B but also camping out of it. I think the Yaris has plenty of space for that.

I have a sedan and have enjoyed round trips from MA to FL. MA to TN. ect. Loaded with passengers, weeks worth of baggage, coolers, ect. No problem.

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #15
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Okay. I've wrestled with this, as a rider and as a van-lover, for many moons.

The Yaris is cheaper. Cheaper to buy; and MUCH cheaper to run.

Living in a van...oh, for a weekend, or for a party, it's fun. For a month...IT BLOWS.

A van uses gas. BIG TIME. A customized van either costs money or time to finish it.

When you're riding to work, 40 mpg Yaris versus 15 mpg Van doesn't much matter. Cross-country...IT DOES.

Take the Yaris. By gum and by God, take the Yaris. Pack camping gear, but you can use some of the savings for clean, fresh hotel lodgings.

And you'll enjoy the drive that much more.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #16
UkuleleLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

Yeah, I am thinking more about making a platform. I have never built anything like that, but I'm sure I could figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Very interesting thread, OP. I thought about doing the same thing, but I'm too tall (a bit over 6' 3" guy). I thought about getting a standard Prius or Prius V (do a search for 'Prius RV'...there is a lady who has driven a 2004 Prius abouk 50k miles around the U.S., using it as an 'RV') as my next car (my height wouldn't be an issue), but I don't know if I would use this aspect often enough to justify the extra cost.....and I recently decided against any Prius, as I still want to have a manual transmission.

What about getting a tent? I spent over 4 months in 2006 driving across Canada (Vancouver, BC to St. Johns', NL (Newfoundland and Labrador)) in a 2001 Suzuki Swift 3-door Hatch (same body as the last generation Geo Metro...smaller than a Yaris). I brought a 12' tent from Wal-Mart with me. The tent folded down to a very small footprint. Sometimes I stayed in a hotel or a motel, and sometimes I pitched my tent. The first time I used the tent was also the first time I'd ever put up a tent by myself. Five minutes after I finished, and had set up my air bed, it started raining (I was in Jasper, Alberta). I stayed dry, and the sound of the rain on the tent = . I ended up getting my Yaris (once back in the U.S. on this trip), because the roads at campgrounds in Newfoundland pretty much fried the remaining life of the steering rack in my Suzuki. I was already looking at the Yaris before I left on the trip .

I loved driving my Swift around Canada . I've been to 46 states in my Yaris (all but ID and MT (visited those in an AWD sedan), and of course HI and AK) and to Ontario, Canada...and I've never regretted doing so in a Yaris. If you are like some members (definitely not me) who can fix anything (or just about anything) that might go wrong on a van, that option would give you more room. Personally, I can't imagine doing that (because I wouldn't want to spend the extra money on gas..and would be worried it would break down).....and having already camped in your Yaris, you might find the van to be a waste.

Pic of dog = adorable. One thing that would definitely tip the scale in favor of the van would be if you plan to bring a dog with you. Person + Dog on long term camping/road trip in a Yaris ....NOT a good idea .
Yeah, I have a tent, and every time I've brought it, I haven't used it. It's just easier to set up the car, enough space for me and my dog, no chance of getting wet. And I'll always have my dog with me, so it would be nice to have more space. Sounds like a nice trip you took.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Okay. I've wrestled with this, as a rider and as a van-lover, for many moons.

The Yaris is cheaper. Cheaper to buy; and MUCH cheaper to run.

Living in a van...oh, for a weekend, or for a party, it's fun. For a month...IT BLOWS.

A van uses gas. BIG TIME. A customized van either costs money or time to finish it.

When you're riding to work, 40 mpg Yaris versus 15 mpg Van doesn't much matter. Cross-country...IT DOES.

Take the Yaris. By gum and by God, take the Yaris. Pack camping gear, but you can use some of the savings for clean, fresh hotel lodgings.

And you'll enjoy the drive that much more.
i do plan to "live in it" / camp out of it for at least a month this spring, with one particular area in mind. I'm also considering a road trip along the west coast, and possibly learning to surf. i'm seeking some adventure for an extended period, and hotels will add up. It will be interesting to look at some numbers.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #17
UkuleleLady

I've seen the Prius RV blog... i'm going to have to go back and look at it again.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #18
UkuleleLady

sprinter's do get decent mileage since they are diesel. and are quite spacious and you can stand up inside... but it's a lot more time and money.. but maybe for an extended period of time it's way more comfortable and worth the money.

and whoever mentioned the issue with fixing older vans, yep, that is definitely a concern and part of why i had to walk away from the van i was looking at - an old vanagon. it was sweet though.