Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2008, 03:12 AM   #37
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
OP says SK(SILKROADS) are 7kgf/mm front and 4kgf/mm rear but on SK japan, it says 5kgf/mm front and 4kgf/mm back....which one is correct?

and also what else are the difference between the SK RM/A8 and DFV Ohlins other than the spring rates?
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #38
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
OP says SK(SILKROADS) are 7kgf/mm front and 4kgf/mm rear but on SK japan, it says 5kgf/mm front and 4kgf/mm back....which one is correct?

and also what else are the difference between the SK RM/A8 and DFV Ohlins other than the spring rates?
The 5K/4K listing on SK Japan site is new, it used to always be 7K/4K. Not sure if it's a typo or if they changed it to appeal to a more "comfort" oriented customer.

I ordered my setup with 8K front and 5K rear springs, I'm very happy with the balance. They also sent me the 7K/4K setup so I can switch if needed, that's one of the benefits to the SK setup is that it runs standard linear coilover springs both front and rear so you can swap out springs easily.

The other stong points of this setup are:

8 way adjustable damper (adjustment knobs can easily be accessed without any tools once installed)
monotube damper
separate height adjustmet front and rear
separate spring preload adjustment
adjustable front sway bar links included

Cali Yaris can answer better on the Ohlins, I'm pretty sure he's the only one to ever bring those in. I can't remember the screen name of the person who bought them but I do remember him saying he was very happy with the setup. If I remember correctly the Ohlins did not have height adjustable shocks in the rear and I don't recall if the shocks where dampening adjustable? Also I think the springs up are pigtail style to meet up with the stock upper mounts.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #39
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ all correct about the Ohlins and "thePoche" is the one that bought them.

My Silk Roads and the sets I have in stock are 7k/4k. Pretty stiff, but not unbearable.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #40
revoturbo

Drives: yaris
yesterday just install TEIN coilover super compact.. on my Yaris..
a little hard than OEM standard shock set with tein spring only..

adjustable hard-soft.. & now must saving again for next project :

net yet try on hi speed handling ..
http://www.tein.co.jp/e/products/edfc.html
Old 01-03-2009, 01:47 AM   #41
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
so i dont see this answered..... what is the TRD coil spring Rates?
ka0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:09 AM   #42
tca4

Drives: Yaris RS (white)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revoturbo View Post
yesterday just install TEIN coilover super compact.. on my Yaris..
a little hard than OEM standard shock set with tein spring only..

adjustable hard-soft.. & now must saving again for next project :

net yet try on hi speed handling ..
http://www.tein.co.jp/e/products/edfc.html
where can we get the super compact here in N.A.?
tca4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #43
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
did anyone know that H&R makes a coilover for the 07 yaris hatch now? its on the tirerack site...

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...lar=&brand=all
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #44
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
I think Cali also sells them. Check out www.microimageonline.com
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:30 AM   #45
2006fronty

Drives: 2010 Mazda3 iTouring
KW Suspension also makes a set of coilovers for Yaris'. They look like they're one of the nicer sets of coilovers available, dual rate springs, independently adjustable rebound and compression damping. Part # 35256008 http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/30_P...nder/index.php
I attached the install pdf as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KW Suspension front.jpg (81.5 KB, 965 views)
File Type: jpg KW suspension rear.jpg (125.3 KB, 970 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf eah68656008.pdf (790.1 KB, 75 views)
Old 03-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #46
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Whoa, those look sick.

My shocks on my car are dead.
I am currently trying to see what I can do to fix that, I don't think I want to invest any more money into this car though as my next project... is buying a house instead.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #47
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
FYI, I had a set of matched KW springs/shocks on my 2001 Ford Focus, and they were very nice. I also added these to the first page.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #48
SEVEN

Drives: 07' HB Black
SO AFTER READING THIS WHOLE STICKY I'VE COME UP WITH THE CONCLUSION THAT I CLEARLY HAVE NO IDEA WHICH COIL OVERS I SHOULD BUY!! so ... can anybody tell me which coils to buy????
Old 03-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #49
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
SO AFTER READING THIS WHOLE STICKY I'VE COME UP WITH THE CONCLUSION THAT I CLEARLY HAVE NO IDEA WHICH COIL OVERS I SHOULD BUY!! so ... can anybody tell me which coils to buy????
It depends on what you want, really. If you're concerned about ride, the Tein Basics are supposed to be pretty good. If you're more concerned about handling and adjustment, check out the Megan Racing/D2/KSport/BC Racing (they're about the same price as the Teins).

I'd say those are good places to start, since they're not too pricey. If you don't mind spending a decent amount of money, look in to the other options, such as the Silk Roads, the Cusco, KW, H&R, etc.

Just my dos centavos.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #50
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Alright, I've done a lot of searching through different forums and on the web in general, and I still don't know what the function is of pillow ball mounts: so what's their function? Additionally, I remember reading a long time ago that they cause additional stress to the frame. Is this true?
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #51
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Pillowball is another term for an upper mount design that uses a "solid" spherical bearing instead of the stock rubber mounts.

The benefit of a "solid" mount like this is there is less unwanted deflections or twist that can throw off or change the alignment settings. It will also give more direct steering response and overall the car will feel more connected. On some cars with macpherson strut front suspension you can also adjust camber, caster or both from the upper mount by moving the mounting location in/out or forward/back.

The downsides can be:
more vibrations due to no rubber isolator
added maintenance (replace bearing if worn)

Here's a generic picture of two common pillowball designs. The one on the left is front for that specific application and allows camber adjustment by the four smaller nuts/bolts through the slotted holes . The one's on the right are solid for the rear but can also be used in front applications.

Here's a generic front strut suspension picture I found on google, you can see it is using a rubber mount at the top of the picture where it would mount to the car.

03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #52
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
^ Thanks a bunch - that was really helpful :)
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #53
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Drives: 07Liftback/07sedanS
This thread has been very helpful.

You guys seem to have a pretty good understanding of the Yaris's suspension and the modification there of.

I just finished paying off my Wifes car (AKA more money for my car) and I want to mod the suspension of my Yaris 3doorLB. I'm not too worried about the ride quality so much as I am its handling ability.

In the end, I think I want to get a coilover kit and some rear/front struts/braces but I have no idea of what a good combanation would be.

Any insight you guys might have to offer would be greatly appreciated.
GnomeBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #54
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
My suspension history started with TRD springs that made a big difference over OEM suspension. I stiffened it up with spring rubbers up front, and used air shocks in the rear to help handle occasional heavy cargo loads. This worked well and eliminated rubbng while using 205/40R17s.

After a year I wanted more power and better cornering. I first went with lighter wheels (Enkei RPF1s) with 195/50/R15 tires. Then I got some coilovers.

D-A-M-N!!!

I didn't know how good this car could handle until now. I was lucky enough to get the last set of Cusco GT-Zeros on the continent (thanks Saggio!) and I am amazed at how well they work. My car is so damn low it's sick. AND it doesn't EVER rub! I don't know the science, but the thing is like its on rails. It nearly throws me out of the seat in turns, and never starts sliding. Dialing up the dampening only makes it better, but it does harshen the ride so I usually keep it dialed down for daily driving.

I appreciate all the input found here. I've never even heard of coilovers before, and I'm glad I found you guys. I am also really glad I invested my money in the "good stuff."