Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-15-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
nwdixieboy

Drives: ecoh
Yari vs. Honda Fit

I really love my 2001 4 door Echo and am torn between buying a new Yari or the new Honda Fit, which looks very tempting. Has anyone ridden or sat in a Fit/Jazz in another country or auto show?
nwdixieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Well, the Toronto Auto Show will start in few days, I will see if I could go and check it out.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
vicpai

Drives: '00 Lexus LS 400/'00 Metro HB
Exclamation There is simply no comparison at all!!

The YARIS LIFTBACK wins hands down against the Honda Fit. Generally speaking, I am a big Honda fan because of their Navigation Systems (have owned a 2000 Acura TL/NAVI and an '03 Acura MDX/NAVI/RES), but when it comes to these 2, the Honda is waaay behind. The Yaris is much SAFER than the Fit according to the Euro NCAP tests, and besides, this is the first Toyota to incorporate their breakthrough MICS (Minimal Intrusion Cabin Structure) body, which is supposed to be able to withstand a collision with a 2-tonne vehicle!!!!! .....Sadly, Honda has not used their proprietary ACE (Advanced Collision Engineering) body structure on the Fit (which, BTW, is just as good as Toyota's MICS). Secondly, the Yaris is simply better all round from it's ultra-tight turning radius, it's fabulous exterior dimensions, better fuel economy etc. etc.!! .......I will still end up buying the redesigned MDX, which is coming out this fall, but for my commuter vehicle, it's going to be the YARIS LIFTBACK!!
vicpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
nwdixieboy

Thanks for the info. I am strongly leaning towards the Yaris sedan as it is so much classier looking and I like having a trunk to hide things.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:32 AM   #5
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
One of the factors that will tempt me to buy a Fit instead of a Yaris is the availability of side and curtain air bags on the Fit. In Canada, the Yaris does not come with them, even as options. Since you are in the US Nwdixieboy, you can get side and curtain bags on a Yaris if you want them, so the Fit loses its advantage in the US in that respect. Therefore, I would urge you to consider the Yaris for its fuel economy and overall newer design(introduced only in 05, or 06 in the case of the sedan which has not even been put on sale here yet). At least you will not have to risk buying a car which may be redesigned and have its look and other things changed sooner than you may expect.
Moreover, if you are considering a sedan, I believe the more appropiate comparison from the Honda side should be the Civic, not the Fit.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:48 AM   #6
corey415

Drives: 95 Integra
With respect to the Euro NCAP results, keep in mind that the Yaris they tested had front, side, and side curtain airbags. The Jazz/Fit tested only had the 2 front airbags.

Also, there seems to be a contention that there is a huge difference in fuel economy between the Fit and Yaris. Looking at the specsheets, I dont see the difference as being dramatic in my opinion.

But it is true that the Fit is an old design. I wonder when the new model is coming out...
corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
Some good comparison photos, it really makes a difference seeing them side by side...

echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #8
Karel

Drives: 2004 Phontom Grey Camry SE
Thanks..I prefer the Yaris..
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:51 PM   #9
hhcchen
stop staring my star perv

Drives: 97 tercel
sorry... still don't like the "mini minivan"...
hhcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
hoahmaru

Drives: 2007 White Yaris RS B Pac.
I still prefer the Yaris. The curves on the Yaris makes it look so much better and for me I think toyota engines are better that honda engines, just by experience.
hoahmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #11
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Until I saw the pictures, I never knew the Fit was so much bigger. I have already bought the Yaris and will not change to another car soon, but I still enjoy reading posts discussing about which of the two is better.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
hhcchen
stop staring my star perv

Drives: 97 tercel
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Until I saw the pictures, I never knew the Fit was so much bigger. I have already bought the Yaris and will not change to another car soon, but I still enjoy reading posts discussing about which of the two is better.
well, over here, everyone is bias toward yaris...
at honda forums, they are bias toward fit...

don't know what to say...
hhcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:28 PM   #13
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
thanks for the side by side camparison. The more I see of the yaris the more I wish it was the end of march and I was driving mine.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:03 AM   #14
Speedz
Will work for Yaris...

Drives: Yaris
Look at it this way...

Fit is more than a few years old and Yaris is new...

I dont want to sink my $$ in a older model even though I'm buying it brand new...

And I also test drove the Fit... there is alot higher cabin noise than the newer Yaris... but the Honda V-Tec engine is a gem even though it is only a 1.5 SOHC...
Speedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #15
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Wow, looking at it side by side, I am glad I did brought a Yaris instead of waiting for Fit or Versa. ha ha.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #16
nwdixieboy

I have decided that since I LOVED my Echo so much, I am going to stick with the Yaris, as it is a known product and it is a newer design than the Fit.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:24 AM   #17
jazzer
I've made a post!

Drives: Honda Fit 1.5T
i drive 2005 honda Fit 1.5T, and my wife's 2006 yaris s limited is already at home. i think this 2 cars have its own fanatic fans, because the driving caracter is different, the yaris is more comfortable and solid than Fit (my wife and my daughter love it soo much), but for driving enthusiast who loved spirited driving... go for honda fit, .. believe me it has sportier performance and better driving experience in my opinion

Last edited by jazzer; 02-25-2006 at 10:49 AM.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 04:13 PM   #18
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy

Drives: '08 Scion xD
Odyssey with shrinkage

Looks rather familiar.
Attachment 145
While the above is not mine, I do have the rebadged Isuzu Oasis, don't think I need a mini version too.

Last edited by jdgriswald; 09-06-2006 at 05:59 PM.
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote