Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Drives: 2003 Echo Coupe
Installing a tablet in lieu of a head unit

This will probably require the help of all the audio genius yaris world has to offer.

I would like to exchange my current head unit and use my tablet instead as my entertainment center. It has been done with the iPad, and I would like to do it for my non apple tablet since I want to replace my head unit anyway.

For example, take a look at these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SkltRqOF5k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsU6RxHwsu4

But the absolute best, in my opinion is this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSnIXfoSU6I
It's a 4 part series of videos, I think. You can find the rest easily after watching that one.

So, what do you guys think of these installs? Anyone, besides me, interested in doing this?

Last edited by Emerge; 08-01-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Fixed URL
Emerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
Video does not work
Old 08-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
What size tablet do you have? And I'm assuming it's an Android one. Does it have everything you'll need? GPS? AM/FM radio?

If the tablet is small enough to fit where the CD player was, that would make it very easy. If not, you'll need to do some fabricating. You'll need to figure out how you want to control your volume. If you're putting this into a STOCK Yaris, then you are going to need to add an amp to power your speakers. If you add an amp, you could get one that has a remote volume knob that you could mount in your dash. Then you'd just run a 3.5mm to RCA cable from the tablet, into the amp, which then feeds the speakers.

The kit in the first link is cool, but it also screams "STEAL ME!!" If you can mount it flush in the dash, making it look like some aftermarket radio, I think you'd be better off. There are plenty of us on here to help you through this!
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Fixed the last link.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I would suggest a good line output converter OR a processor that can help you take the level of the integration even further. I'm thinking anything from a JL Cleansweep or an MTX ReQ to an Audison Bit Ten D (or even better a Bit One .1) or a JBL MS-8. I just installed the Audison Bit One in my system, even though I don't NEED it. A piece like this gives you the ability for exptreme control.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
What size tablet do you have? And I'm assuming it's an Android one. Does it have everything you'll need? GPS? AM/FM radio?

If the tablet is small enough to fit where the CD player was, that would make it very easy. If not, you'll need to do some fabricating. You'll need to figure out how you want to control your volume. If you're putting this into a STOCK Yaris, then you are going to need to add an amp to power your speakers. If you add an amp, you could get one that has a remote volume knob that you could mount in your dash. Then you'd just run a 3.5mm to RCA cable from the tablet, into the amp, which then feeds the speakers.

The kit in the first link is cool, but it also screams "STEAL ME!!" If you can mount it flush in the dash, making it look like some aftermarket radio, I think you'd be better off. There are plenty of us on here to help you through this!
I have the ASUS EeePad Transformer. It is, indeed, running Android (Honey Comb 3.2 to be exact.) OS. It has everything I need. As far as AM/FM goes, with an app I can be on any radio station in the country which is cool.

It is actually bigger than the double din I have going on. Which means I could do an ugly mount with some makeshifting, but that would look terrible in my opinion. I would rather do the type of install that looks much more OEM.

As far as controlling the volume, I would probably get a bit one like SQ recommended. Or, something like this:

I think the biggest issue I will have is getting the tablet integrated to my interior. Currently, my car looks like this:

But, installing the tablet where the radio goes now is not optimum for use during driving. Ideally, it would go where the AC controls start. But, how the hell could I possibly change the locations of the AC controls? Also, I have no way of molding stuff from fiber glass. I can barely use a screwdriver. =/
Old 08-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I totally missed the echo part until the last post. That's not a lot of space to work with and a tough position for that small of a screen. I messed around with the car PC thing a while back and actually drove around for a couple of months with a 10 color CRT mounted to the center of the top of the dash of my Subaru.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Yeah, the small space presents some major problems with me if I want to try to have a factory look.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
I keep looking at this, and it seems like an interesting challenge. Moving the temp controls would be tough if you have no experience in molding. The better bet is putting in the stock location. But that seems like a terrible spot, and the viewing angle would be terrible. If you put it in the stock location, you'd have to angle it upwards to make it readable. You might be biting off more than you can handle. Sorry.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Curiosity got the best of me and made a huge mistake of opening this thread to learn about the OP's tablet model (the ASUS Eee Pad).

I am now endlessly searching for the best deal to get my hands on one including a dock

p.s. I don't plan to mount it to my dash lol (unless emerge finds an ideal way to mount it haha)

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy_toronto View Post
Curiosity got the best of me and made a huge mistake of opening this thread to learn about the OP's tablet model (the ASUS Eee Pad).

I am now endlessly searching for the best deal to get my hands on one including a dock

p.s. I don't plan to mount it to my dash lol (unless emerge finds an ideal way to mount it haha)

-toy

I was thinking it's better to find something with a 7 inch screen so it's an easier fit. So far it looks like the Dell Streak might be a good option.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 AM   #12
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
I keep looking at this, and it seems like an interesting challenge. Moving the temp controls would be tough if you have no experience in molding. The better bet is putting in the stock location. But that seems like a terrible spot, and the viewing angle would be terrible. If you put it in the stock location, you'd have to angle it upwards to make it readable. You might be biting off more than you can handle. Sorry.
Appreciate the honesty lol. I really don't want to buy a new head unit though. =/
Old 08-04-2011, 02:51 AM   #13
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy_toronto View Post

-toy
The transformer is the best tablet out now; trust me, I researched for months@!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:52 AM   #14
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
I was thinking it's better to find something with a 7 inch screen so it's an easier fit. So far it looks like the Dell Streak might be a good option.

If it's bought with the intent to integrate to your car's entertainment system, I agree. But, then again, it depends on what type of car you have. Some can handle the bigger tabs quite well.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
get yourself an exogear exomount with tablet adapter:

http://www.mobimega.com/exogear-exom...martphone.html

the suction cup also has an adhesive coating so it sticks to pretty much anything, you might be able to stick it in front of the speedometer and have the tablet hand in the area in front of that little pocket thing... worth a try!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
The transformer is the best tablet out now; trust me, I researched for months@!
I'm officially picking mine up tomorrow --Thanks for doing most of the leg work for me

I agree, it's a very legit tablet per the reviews I've read.

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #17
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
get yourself an exogear exomount with tablet adapter:

http://www.mobimega.com/exogear-exom...martphone.html

the suction cup also has an adhesive coating so it sticks to pretty much anything, you might be able to stick it in front of the speedometer and have the tablet hand in the area in front of that little pocket thing... worth a try!
Cool products on that website. Thanks for the input, it might be worth a shot.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
i was thinking of getting a 7in android tablet too. Either the Galaxy Tab 7 ~$300 or the Nook Color ~$200 and get android on it. As for GPS, the nook color doesnt have it but i have a BT gps keychain anyways. Theres pros and cons to both but the IPS screen on the Nook Color seems the best in a carpc kind of role. Of course i want to do double duty with the tablet and undock it for normal day use..then again i already have the asus Transformer with dock.

With that said, im looking forward to see how you mount yours.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote