Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Question Are camber bolts needed after installing springs?

I'm about to install some Tanabe DF210 springs and was told that I'll need an alignment after the springs settle (after a couple weeks) because the lowered stance will give you bad camber and your tires will wear unevenly and wear out fast. Are camber bolts needed to fix the camber problem? A friend of mine said something would need "slotting" to fix it. If I don't get camber bolts, will the "slotting" be expensive? Anybody know?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
smofskra

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
Send a message via MSN to smofskra Send a message via Yahoo to smofskra
i highly doubt it. im willing to bet that 98% of people on this forum that have lowered their cars do not have camber bolts. just get an alignment and you will be good.
smofskra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
likely a good idea on a drop more than 1.25"

could end up w/ camber wear on your tires...

but whats more expensive $35 for camber bolts to get the correct alignment or 2 new tires in 15k miles?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
Just an extra precaution isnt it? I doubt a difference would be made, unless someone can explain how it would?

And glad you made up your mind, hope you dont regret it hehe.
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I just got mine aligned and I use DF210's. I haven't noticed any camber issues and it's been a year.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
I have the trd springs and camber bolts... but its intentional. I got them specifically to give me more negative camber, sure I have to buy more tires but the extra grip is worth it.

A moderate drop will produce some negative camber but the stock bolts do have room for adjustment, any good alignment shop can put the geometry back pretty close to stock specifications.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Yes, it's always good to get an alignment after changing springs. Camber bolts only allow for more - or + camber, as Morgan stated. The rears use shims to adjust camber.
If you have a friend who is a fanatical racer, they could probably do an alignment for you, with all the proper tools and gadgets.
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
After installing my TRD suspension the alignment shop did need to install camber bolts to correct the front camber to factory spec.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

if the struts need "slotting" what does that mean? Would that cost extra?

Old 01-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
if the struts need "slotting" what does that mean? Would that cost extra?
I believe that just means ovalizing out the holes in the struts where the factory camber bolts are placed. This allows for more movement and more adjustability in terms of camber while not having to buy new camber bolts. If done correctly it is a perfectly acceptable way to overcome the camber adjustment issue. In addition, struts are wear replacment items, so they're going to get replaced in the future anyway...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ this is correct. Camber bolts are just a way to adjust camber without having to modify any other part. They also offer a greater range of adjustment. The ones I stock go +1.75 to -1.75.

But as other have noted, you should be able to get very close to factory spec even with lowering springs installed.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

ok then I'll just get the alignment after I install the springs, and hope it all works out

Old 01-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #13
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Having slight camber doesn't ruin your tread life. It will be probably only a smidge shorter.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Having slight camber doesn't ruin your tread life. It will be probably only a smidge shorter.
agreed. if you rotate, or even flip, your tires regularly you'll be fine

what kills tires is excessive toe

remember, folks, because you have trailing arm suspension in the rear, any "built in" camber set by the factory (and believe me, there's built in camber) is turned into "toe in" when you've lowered your car. lowering a trailing arm suspended car almost always leads to more understeer then you experienced pre-lowering. a swaybar can help trick the rear into rotating, but the best thing you can do for the rear end of a yaris after lowering is to get shims to correct that excessive toe-in created by lowering.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:33 PM   #15
phenoyz

Drives: yaris
shims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
agreed. if you rotate, or even flip, your tires regularly you'll be fine

what kills tires is excessive toe

remember, folks, because you have trailing arm suspension in the rear, any "built in" camber set by the factory (and believe me, there's built in camber) is turned into "toe in" when you've lowered your car. lowering a trailing arm suspended car almost always leads to more understeer then you experienced pre-lowering. a swaybar can help trick the rear into rotating, but the best thing you can do for the rear end of a yaris after lowering is to get shims to correct that excessive toe-in created by lowering.

planning to lower my car...plan to get springs and sway bar
what is SHIMS? do i need that too
thx
Old 02-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #16
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenoyz View Post
planning to lower my car...plan to get springs and sway bar
what is SHIMS? do i need that too
thx
shims mount between your axle and hub. most alignment shops have them. they're unfortunately usually made from plastic though.

i corrected by putting a stainless washer between the hub and axle, installed on the lower "front" bolt. i'm currently running about 1/16" of toe OUT in the rear. the washer thickness was .058.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote