Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
Radosity

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
3rd Fuel Pump in a year just failed

I own a 2008 Toyota Yaris 4d compact. Over the past year, I've had the fuel pump replaced twice. Every time, the symptoms are the same... no sputtering or acceleration issues, just all of a sudden while driving it'll stop accelerating and that check engine light pops on.

The first time I was just told that it was likely because of letting the car run on low fuel. From research now, I know that that's largely a myth. I took it to heart and never let my car run beneath a half/quarter tank. It went out again about 5 months after it was replaced, same symptoms. It's under warranty with the mechanic, so I took it back and he said that they thought it might be the fuel injector, but they see no way to really get to it.

Now, it's just gone out a 3rd time. I've checked the fuses myself, they're all fine. The car still has power, it just turns over without ever firing up again. What I wanted to know is, have any of you experienced this sort of thing before with this model? I'll be able to take it back to the mechanic again under the warranty, but it'd be great if I could go back offering him some ideas as to what it could be. Thanks for any help/ideas.
Radosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:35 AM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Three fuel pumps in one year! Highly, highly unlikely. I suspect something else is going on. I know you said you checked the fuses but I'm thinking it is something electrical, perhaps a bad connection, broken wire, or bad ground that has been overlooked. I would start by doing a continuity check on all wiring.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:33 AM   #3
Radosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Three fuel pumps in one year! Highly, highly unlikely. I suspect something else is going on. I know you said you checked the fuses but I'm thinking it is something electrical, perhaps a bad connection, broken wire, or bad ground that has been overlooked. I would start by doing a continuity check on all wiring.
Okay, I'll put the word to my mechanic. Thank you. It's just over 100k miles, so it's not out of the question it could be some eroding wires.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Although I cant pinpoint your problem I strongly suspect your mechanic is the problem. Three fuel pump failures is imppossible.

I would look elsewhere for repairs!

Do you remember the error code that comes on?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Food for thought - I recently had to replace my water pump twice within a few month period.

Like you, my shop warranties work nationwide for 2 yrs, so it didn't cost me anything. When questioned, they talked about part houses providing a mix of new and rebuilt stuff based on gov regulation on managing waste. They claimed that they've seen a drop in the quality of parts over the last several years, but claimed that they're still better than AutoZone/Pep Boys/etc. parts. They claimed this would be the case whether going to an independent shop, or Toyota.

Coincidentally, the same thing happened with my alternator. Keep in mind this is an established and very highly rated (Yelp) shop, so I tend to think it's not something they're doing, but who knows.

After redoing the water pump and alternator jobs, my car has been great, but I thought it crazy that I'd have to have both jobs done twice.

Now my starter seems to be sticking a bit, causing a short grinding noise on the first start of the day. I plan on taking my starter to a local place that specializes in rebuilding them and changing it out myself (with massive help from my bro-in-law lol). We'll see if I get better results.

On Wheelwell

Last edited by ern-diz; 12-15-2016 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Type-o's
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I agree with the above, there is likely an electrical issue leading to premature failure of the pump.

Fwiw running low on fuel under hard accelleration and braking or cornering or running out of fuel will burn out the pumps in the Yaris, it is not a myth. This is how the pump cools itself
Old 12-16-2016, 03:38 AM   #7
Radosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Although I cant pinpoint your problem I strongly suspect your mechanic is the problem. Three fuel pump failures is imppossible.

I would look elsewhere for repairs!

Do you remember the error code that comes on?
No, unfortunately I've never seen the error code myself. Since the issue is the car fails to start, I've never been able to get it to a part shop and ask them to read the code. Someone told me recently that you can get a bluetooth part to hook up and a corresponding app to read the code, so I'll be getting that soon.

As for the shop, I'd certainly have the same doubts if I heard my story from someone else but he's done me right. I think it's legitimately just a hard issue to diagnose, and the first time my fuel pump went out my car was nearing 100k miles, so fuel pump going out isn't that unusual. 2nd time could've been a faulty part. Now with the 3rd time, I trust him to get to the bottom of it, if only so he doesn't have to see my damn car again. :P

Last edited by Radosity; 12-16-2016 at 03:51 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:42 AM   #8
Radosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Food for thought - I recently had to replace my water pump twice within a few month period.

Like you, my shop warranties work nationwide for 2 yrs, so it didn't cost me anything. When questioned, they talked about part houses providing a mix of new and rebuilt stuff based on gov regulation on managing waste. They claimed that they've seen a drop in the quality of parts over the last several years, but claimed that they're still better than AutoZone/Pep Boys/etc. parts. They claimed this would be the case whether going to an independent shop, or Toyota.

Coincidentally, the same thing happened with my alternator. Keep in mind this is an established and very highly rated (Yelp) shop, so I tend to think it's not something they're doing, but who knows.

After redoing the water pump and alternator jobs, my car has been great, but I thought it crazy that I'd have to have both jobs done twice.

Now my starter seems to be sticking a bit, causing a short grinding noise on the first start of the day. I plan on taking my starter to a local place that specializes in rebuilding them and changing it out myself (with massive help from my bro-in-law lol). We'll see if I get better results.
Yeah, when I talked with him today he said they got the parts directly from the manufacturer as well. Not directly from Toyota, mind, but from the company that manufactures them for Toyota. I strongly doubt faulty parts could be responsible for 2 failed fuel pumps in a 5 month period anyways.

Hopefully your starter gets sorted out without much trouble man. It's not a fun feeling driving your car worried that it could break down again any second.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:48 AM   #9
Radosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I agree with the above, there is likely an electrical issue leading to premature failure of the pump.

Fwiw running low on fuel under hard accelleration and braking or cornering or running out of fuel will burn out the pumps in the Yaris, it is not a myth. This is how the pump cools itself
I mentioned a possible electrical issue to my mechanic today in reference to the answers I got here, so hopefully that'll lead him to figuring out what the hell's going on.

I saw a detailed post previously about Toyotas, Yaris' at least, being built in such a way that pump burnout isn't possible, but I'm not a gearhead so it could've been bullshit for all I know. Not a bad practice to keep above a half/quarter tank anyways, no reason not to continue topping off.

Thanks for all the help yall. :) I'll update again once I get my car back with the results.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #10
goddessondemand
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 4 door
Fuel pump problem? Electrical problem?

I had a similar breakdown last week - driving down the freeway and lost acceleration with no warning (no weird sound, no engine light). The battery is now dead because of running the hazards and heater for an hour on the side of the road.

So when I have it towed to a mechanic, should I point him to the fuel pump? Perhaps he should have a look at the electrical wires? I have about 95,000 miles logged.
goddessondemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #11
Debracarter
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
My 2007 Toyota Yaris feel pump keeps

So I have a Toyota Yaris 2007 and I replace the fuel pump for three times and this is going to be the fourth time I am stuck outside my work and I know it’s the fuel pump I looked and there’s no recalls but this should really be looked at when my car is running it runs brand new it is so nice but the fuel pump keeps going out and even the mechanic says there’s no reason it should keep going out
Debracarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:23 PM   #12
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Do you have a fuel pressure tester to see what's it putting out?
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #13
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Not right, but if you are using aftermarket pumps, maybe. Electronic stuff, you should always use OEM parts. And alway fill up at a 1/4 tank.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 yaris, fuel pump