Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2019, 05:17 AM   #1
AdamDavis

Drives: Yaris Diesel 2007
Clunking when car accelerator is pressed + Heavy clutch

Hi all,

I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 1.4 diesel with 196,000 miles on the clock.

I have had this car for 50,000 miles now but most of the time when I press the accelerator after changing gear or after releasing the accelerator fully and then pressing back down on the accelerator I can hear a clunk noise and the car jolts a little bit (although this is not that bad). It doesn't do it all the time, but does it for the majority. I'm thinking it is something to do with the throttle plate but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this and what it could be?

Also my clutch is heavy to press in, so wondered if this is a characteristic of the diesel Yaris or if anyone knows of an issue causing this? Is there a clutch assistance spring on the pedal that may be past its use now or could I get a spring to help push the pedal down?

On a related or unrelated note, my brakes also make a squish sound when pressing the pedal initially. Does anybody else have this or could this be trapped air in the system?
AdamDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I'd check the motor mounts for the clunk.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
johnwk

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
I agree with ex-x-fire about the motor mounts. Here's a helpful video on diagnosing that problem.

Squishy brakes are very good evidence that there's air in the system, so I would recommend bleeding them.

I'm not sure about the clutch.
johnwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:12 AM   #4
rayfloyd170

Drives: Yaris 2016 1.3 Manual
whats the update?
rayfloyd170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:15 AM   #5
rayfloyd170

Drives: Yaris 2016 1.3 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDavis View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 1.4 diesel with 196,000 miles on the clock.

I have had this car for 50,000 miles now but most of the time when I press the accelerator after changing gear or after releasing the accelerator fully and then pressing back down on the accelerator I can hear a clunk noise and the car jolts a little bit (although this is not that bad). It doesn't do it all the time, but does it for the majority. I'm thinking it is something to do with the throttle plate but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this and what it could be?

Also my clutch is heavy to press in, so wondered if this is a characteristic of the diesel Yaris or if anyone knows of an issue causing this? Is there a clutch assistance spring on the pedal that may be past its use now or could I get a spring to help push the pedal down?

On a related or unrelated note, my brakes also make a squish sound when pressing the pedal initially. Does anybody else have this or could this be trapped air in the system?
I have the same issue for 2 months and glad i was able to figure out the cause... i thought i am going to be replacing my clutch and I almost ordered a new kit (quotation ready from the auto-parts).. Good i did some last resort troubleshooting and even damaged one of the bolt holding the exhaust since i thought that was creating the screeching sound... The 2 shifter cables were just beside the exhaust flange and i never thought that was causing the problem ...

Kindly check the 2 shifter cables with a metal guide... mine has a metal guide which holds the 2 shifter cables in place but also at the same time one of the cable has an insulator which was a bit worn-out due to hitting the metal guide and this created the squeaking, screeching, creaking, cluncking, whirring - i dont-know-how-to-describe kind of unwanted sound". i just put some rubber cushion and it saved me some $$$.

Just Imagine a 5 min job which could end up to unnecessary clutch replacement...
rayfloyd170 is offline   Reply With Quote