Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
yaris0985

Drives: yaris sedan 09
How to have 37mpg + ??? Need help

Hey guys !!
I not a big member here..put I read you a lot...

I want to know how I can get 37mpg+ with my yaris sedan A/T full equip
engine 1nz-fe (80% highway / 20% city)

I already have fews tricks, but I always want a better scores
but I want to keept the car with OEM spec (no overpressure tire) etc etc

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/saws/yaris

Thank !!!
yaris0985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
http://www.gassavers.org/article.php...ps-to-save-gas

I will say that I don't do a lot of these but it is a good reference.

you are also taking a hit with it being an auto. My manual hatch used to get 41 or so until I started modding. now I am around 39.

***edit***

also, on the tire pressure thing, you can go to the sidewall max and still be fine. if you exceed that maximum, you're in trouble. realize that the vehicle recommendation is for comfort and not for safety. Different tire manufacturers have different ratings on their tire so the pressures are different depending on the tires you have. I have been running 45psi in mine for quite a while and cornering like crazy since the springs and sway bar without issue.

Last edited by BEEF; 03-15-2013 at 10:28 AM.
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Well my 2 cents.

First off, 36-37 mpg in the winter in Quebec/Montreal is pretty good and a little better than I am doing right now.

Now in the winter I really don't get overly exercised on mpg, too many things working against me.

I use my Cruise Control ( Self installed, tyvm. ) always, whenever possible. I have tried a couple of tanks not using it and I can't match it.

I am always anticipating stops, stop signs, red lights, foot off the throttle, coast up etc. People behind me hate it, who cares they're not going anywhere anyway.

Again I think 36-37 in the winter where you are is really not bad.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Getting over 35mpg on winter gas in the colder states is tough as already said above. I avg around 32/33 during the winter on highway. Every once in a while I might get lucky and get 35/36, but for the most part the prior is where I sit. This was even before I was modding also. During the summer I would get 38/42 without a problem.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris0985 View Post
Hey guys !!
I not a big member here..put I read you a lot...

I want to know how I can get 37mpg+ with my yaris sedan A/T full equip
engine 1nz-fe (80% highway / 20% city)

I already have fews tricks, but I always want a better scores
but I want to keept the car with OEM spec (no overpressure tire) etc etc

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/saws/yaris

Thank !!!
One trick to instantly increase your mileage is to install rims with really low profile tires. You'll get fabulous gas mileage by making the odometer run fast.

(sorry, couldn't resist )
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
yaris0985

Drives: yaris sedan 09
my tire said 32psi recommend or 45psi max...normally they are around 32-35psi
I try to keept my rpm around 2000rpm and try to drive like a cvt

the weather is around -10c or 14f without windchill for the fews last month...
yaris0985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
With winter gas, I've averaged 36.8 mpg over 965 miles with the way my car is set up right now. I get good freeway mpg, but it starts to tank once I get into city driving...that's heavy rims for ya.

It's currently costing me 11.3 cents per mile. LOL

But yeah, inflate your tires up higher (if it's safe for snow, I don't know anything about snow driving since I live in California), check you alignment, and get rid of any unnecessary weight in the car. Also utilize DFCO if you aren't doing so already.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #8
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I looked at your Fuelly .. and I think that you are doing pretty good. I am getting somewhere from 7.0 and 7.5 L/100 KM, and that is similar to what you are getting. So really .. you are getting typical values from what I can see.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
bigdoglover

Drives: 2007 red lb
don't know how to help you but my 07 auto hb drops to about 32/33 mpg in the winter here in the burbs of chicago. with warmer weather i always am around 38 mpg without really trying
bigdoglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
You are doing well. Getting 36 mpg in this cold weather is not easy. You could always slow down on the highway. every mile per hour slower will get you better gas mileage.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
every mile per hour slower will get you better gas mileage.
^^^^^ This.

...and I am always in the slow lane, going a speed that is legal for that freeway (never less than 55)...and people don't like it....and they can take a flying leap at the moon. I'm not going to get worse gas mileage just because someone else doesn't like it while I am obeying the law.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
Ataristyle

Drives: 2011 5dr 5spd LB
Slow is key. Keeping the speed between 55-60mph going to Milwaukee plus other driving not much city but some I got 40.4mpg on winter blend fuel. Slower helps a lot if you can deal with it. Usually though I get 35-37mpg in the winter on my commute and 38-42mpg in the warmer months mainly lingering near 39mpg.
Ataristyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
^^^^^ This.

...and I am always in the slow lane, going a speed that is legal for that freeway (never less than 55)...and people don't like it....and they can take a flying leap at the moon. I'm not going to get worse gas mileage just because someone else doesn't like it while I am obeying the law.
I've done less, I'll take any excuse. I did 50 on a 65 because it was raining. All I need to tell the cop is that I have horrible vision and he'll be fine with it. When you start telling people you have zero depth perception, they will let you drive a little slower.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataristyle View Post
if you can deal with it.
Some people are such a**wipes that I hope my speed practically gives them a coronary. I was driving South on I-45 (between The Woodlands and the Hardy Toll Road) a few days ago. I was in the slow lane, going 58 in a 65, bright clear weather. A jacked up older F series Ford comes up at most 2 feet off my bumper. He starts turning his headlights on and off to get me to speed up. I don't. I can see that he has 5 horns mounted on the front, so I expect him to blast me an earful if he passes me. He did, as he passed me on the right to get on the Hardy Toll Road. That didn't get my goad. What did was how close he came to the corner of my car when he passed. I flipped him off.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I've done less, I'll take any excuse. I did 50 on a 65 because it was raining. All I need to tell the cop is that I have horrible vision and he'll be fine with it. When you start telling people you have zero depth perception, they will let you drive a little slower.
I drove up I-45 to Huntsville,TX recently. I think this was the first time since they raised the speed limit from 70 to 75 all the way to Corsicana (just south of Dallas). I didn't want to spend the time to double check the law, so I figured I better go 60 (which I did). I didn't have any incident like the one with the F series Ford, but every single Semi that pulled into the next lane to pass me honked briefly. I've never had that happen before. Perhaps they thought I didn't know the speed limit has been raised. Later that day I tried checking re the law, both on a government website and on Wikipedia. The only reference I found to a minimum (on freeways in Texas) was that in some places where the maximum limit is 70 a minimum of 40 will be posted right below it. I assume, re this, that I could have gone 55 and it would have been legal. I did 60 on the way back as well. Didn't get any honks, and the few semis that passed me saw my speed beforehand and were already in the fast lane.

If one has vision that needs correction for driving, that is a great thing to say...stops any hassle. I have 20-15 vision, and I don't want the potential of being in some government database saying that I have terrible vision when I have always passed the eye test for my DL without ever needing correction.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
Ataristyle

Drives: 2011 5dr 5spd LB
Yeah, there are jerks out there. I've been guilty of participating in the rage with people. If I do go slow I do the posted limit at least for a single lane. If two lanes or more I stay to the far right and let 'em pass. Now I've driven my vw bus as far south as Florida and up into Canada. I keep it at 55mph, no faster. Being in such a vehicle people usually just smile when they pass. I did have one guy flip me off one time near home cause of accelerating slow but I just looked at him, smiled and gave the peace sign :-) I take a route to work that is about 45-50mph with smooth country road. If I take the other route its higher speed and nuts flying down that road. Also the road is traveled by Semis and just beat up. Taking the slower route yields a lot better mpg for me which is why I can hit 40-42mpg in the summer. If I'm late to work I take the beat up higher speed road but usually rare.
Ataristyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I keep my throttle at 24% since I found that that's best for my car (not for all Yarii) and let the road determine my speed. So that means I'll go anywhere from 55-75 mph. I cap it at those extremes and change my throttle percentage accordingly.

I currently have 85/15 fwy/city on this tank, and my SG reports 40.6 mpg (will be more like 41.9 or so since I set the SG to read lower than what I'm really getting).

Anywho, if I'm driving slow, I'm in the slow lane. If someone starts tailgating me or blasts their horns at me, I just low down even more. I'll take a little mpg hit (since I'll have to accelerate again) to piss them off, especially when there are several other lanes they can switch to and pass.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
I keep my throttle at 24% since I found that that's best for my car (not for all Yarii) and let the road determine my speed. So that means I'll go anywhere from 55-75 mph. I cap it at those extremes and change my throttle percentage accordingly.

I currently have 85/15 fwy/city on this tank, and my SG reports 40.6 mpg (will be more like 41.9 or so since I set the SG to read lower than what I'm really getting).

Anywho, if I'm driving slow, I'm in the slow lane. If someone starts tailgating me or blasts their horns at me, I just low down even more. I'll take a little mpg hit (since I'll have to accelerate again) to piss them off, especially when there are several other lanes they can switch to and pass.
If someone tailgates me for a couple of miles I'll do that (slow down more) . If I'm on a one lane in each direction road and someone does that, I'll tap my brakes to get them to back off.