Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2022, 07:08 PM   #1
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
2007 ac swap, will update untill finished/solved

so lets set the stage

the car in question is a 2007 canadian 5dr that my wife brought with her when i imported her LOL, she loves the lil yaris and dubbed him mr wedgie

this car is not only clean but LOW miles.160k kilometers..you do the math into miles, however she couldnt get all the options she wanted when she bought mr wedgie new, so im on a slow road to fix that bit by bit

fast-forward, weve been using the car for deliveries and her mother is potentially moving a 500mile 1 way thru the desert away from us..while an AC swaps been on the list for a while..its now rapidly becoming a priority

i have scoured the forums with alot of mixed input and nothing condensed or finished into something usable

if ANYONE has an accurate detailed 07 wiring diagram please let me know

over the past year ive gathered up all of the obvious parts, like the controls, and the lines as well as the condenser and evap, waiting to buy the pump new

found out there was an 07 2dr at the yard not far from me and went out and GUTTED the poor lil car to the bone when i found out it had AC..so now ive got pretty much 2 of everything(ive got another project tat ill use it on), but i also went so far as to cut up the wiring harness with precision and traced all of the wires as best i could even cutting out chunks of fuse box etc and taking mess of pics so i know where wires go and plug into where they Y off etc, i just need a diagram to triple check everything

before anyone states find a car with it....let me till you that first off the 07 5dr doesnt exist in the US, and we both hate the 08+, secondly "low mile" clean examples are pushing 8k+ localy soooo yeah no!

so again if anyone has a 05-07 diagram for the wiring i really want to triple check everything before i pull our DD yaris apart for this

Last edited by sh0rtlife; 05-04-2022 at 07:40 PM.
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:25 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

a few relevant side notes to onlookers and naysayers

first off
the engine does NOT need to come out..only the passenger side engine mount needs to be lifted or removed with the engine jacked up "slightly"

secondly
the heater boxes are 100% identical and you can just get the Evaporator and slide it into your existing box WITHOUT fully removing the box and dash(but its not entirely easy)

thirdly
while removing the wipers and cowl pan make life easier its totaly un needed, since if your hands dont fit well you can lower the engine to gain some hand/arm space..tho if you find yourself needing to remove the wipres and pan its about a 3 min job

fourth
YES the ENTIRE dash has to come out
HOWEVER, while this seems scary its actualy VERY straight forward and ment to be easy(think about the manufacturing)yes the steering column needs to come out too, but again its very VERY straight forward, most of the plastic parts are cliped and held in by nothing, the passenger air bag is the only real item holding the entire dash top in, there are otherwise only a dozen or so screws for the whole dash, the real "meat" in the removal is the side to side brace bar that EVERYTHING mounts to

lastly
the parts list..of which all the parts seem to be the same 05-11?
3 ac lines
2 fender wall clips
heater/ac controls
compressor
condenser
Evaporator
THE PIECE I FORGOT..theres a plastic panel in both the AC and non AC yaris that sits next to the radiator, non AC cars its a MUCH bigger item, the AC cars its smaller....i need to go retrieve that

on initial inspection...atleast my 07 has ALL of the pigtails in the wiring for this to possibly be plug n play?!?!?!?

since i took pics of every conection point as well as each connector in the entirety of the heater system from the unit to the controls to the compressor and sensors....a days worth of work wittling away and surgicaly stripping the wrecker car

i have manged to check the car my pics against the "stripped down" harness i bought and compare everything to mr wedgie and to my disbelieving
ac sensor pig tail, exists
compressor pig tail, exists
all 3 heater control plug wireing matches(no extra wires here)
the control unit on the bottom of the heater box both plugs and wire pin out and connectors match

am i missing anything?!?!?!?!..i dont think so

with all that said if ANYTHING is extra in the harness..only a diagram is going to point it out at this point...but....ive defiantly got my hopes up!

current cost right around 100$ and that includes a COMPLETE heater/ac box assembly and EVERYTHING except the compressor and a wiring harness i likely wont need,, with the compressor prices skyrocketing i may opt for a used unit and rebuild it..justifying 400-700 for a compressor seems a bit silly when a rebuild kit if under 100

Last edited by sh0rtlife; 05-04-2022 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:16 PM   #3
sh0rtlife

small update

ALL 07 models share all the same parts, from the interior to the engine side a/c wise

HOWEVER 2008+ the wiring changed on the controlls side at the very least

also the "late" 07s seem to have changed the "big" ac line to have a canister in it the same line is used in the 08+..im unsure if its a dryer or an expansion tank...still looking into it
Old 05-14-2022, 01:20 AM   #4
sh0rtlife

so here goes

so first off this pic list is LONG as i tryed to detail every last inch of whats required to pull the dash...that said i got my wifes 07 heater box out in roughly 2 hours so its NOT a lengthy job

youll only need 5 or so tools, a pair of pliers for the 2 hose clamps, a 12mm wrench, 12mm socket 10mm socket and a philips driver, a flat head is usefull for some of the "tabs" as well

another noteworthy bit..the steering colum does NOT need to be removed from the car if done right, thus i did NOT remove it, also to be noted i did not remove the guage cluster as i know that can sometimes cause a brain to toss codes on some cars..so i worked around it just encase
Old 05-14-2022, 01:26 AM   #5
sh0rtlife

heres your basic parts..i opted for the "newer" 08+ big line as it has an expansion canister on it, otherwise the -07 and the 08+ are the same..in fact it seems the canister is a midyear switch on the 07s sooooo the fatcory changed it probably for good reason

also added new o-rings, dryer, and expansion valve, ive also got a presure switch on the way as they seem fail prone from what im seeing around here

Old 05-14-2022, 01:28 AM   #6
sh0rtlife

from here out im just pointing out where all the nuts, bolts screws clips etc that need to be removed are

Old 05-14-2022, 01:29 AM   #7
sh0rtlife

more dash dissasembly

Old 05-14-2022, 01:30 AM   #8
sh0rtlife

continued

Old 05-14-2022, 01:31 AM   #9
sh0rtlife

and the finish

Old 05-14-2022, 01:36 AM   #10
sh0rtlife

bonus note

the car in question checks out as having ALL of the A/C wiring in place from the factory..as in ZERO wire mods required, even tho i have a gutted harness pulled for the other box that i grabbed just as a precaution as i was worried id have to build an AC harness

BONUS the brain on the bottom of the heater box in the last 2 shots, above is the "heat only" brain below is the AC box...both are the same part number..i have a 3rd brain from an 08 thats a totaly different part number...

i got a good laugh out of the AC uh "plug" for in the heater box..the amount of molding work and such is astounding...i cant belive toyota even made that thing

anyway all looks good right now, awaiting the pressure switch, but i will be re-installing everything tommaro as well as detailing the requirements and walkthru of the engine side of things

got the heater box out only spilling about 1/2 a cup of coolant...and didnt drain the engine or rad
Old 05-15-2022, 12:27 AM   #11
CrimsonEclipse

Drives: .
You have my respect.

I'd rather change the engine than replace an evaporator.
CrimsonEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:16 AM   #12
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse View Post
You have my respect.
+1

Lots of good info and pictures here for the next guy. Well done.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:58 PM   #13
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse View Post
You have my respect.

I'd rather change the engine than replace an evaporator.
honestly tho its EASY "light" work and only took 2 hours to get out and another 2 to get it back in, and i also did some re-routing of fog lights, usb hookups, and wired it for cruise

all said the biggest pain in the job is the steering colomn piviot bolt which requires dissconnecting the brake arm from the master rod, and even then getting that bolt out is a TIGHT fit, otherwise the only other snag bit is fishing the box out the passenger side of the car as you hold up the cross bar..a second set of hands would have made that simple
Old 05-15-2022, 03:00 PM   #14
sh0rtlife

ill toss up the finishing pics shortly, the front end of the ac stuff is stupid easy

also..the black plastic "fill" panel for the radiator is the same for with and without AC so it is NOT needed!
Old 05-16-2022, 09:53 PM   #15
sh0rtlife

so heres the engine side of things

if for some reason you needed to replace a line or the compressor you instantly have access by just popping the bumper off, in fact the rad crossmember does NOT need to come off if you were doing lines or comp, but it does have to be removed to get the condensor in

fun lil side note, mind the top tab "finger" of the engine mount on the body side
so heres the trick
put a jack under the engine and take the weight "just" off the mount remove the top 2 engine bolt and get out a 2ft+ extension and come up from the crank to get the 14mm NUT, after that remove the 3 body bolts on the other side of the mount....youll now find the mount still wont come off, you need to lower the engine slightly and pull it forward ever so slightly and the finger should come out..if not you may need to lift the engine just above its normal position at this point the finger will be loose enough to get out...its honestly the only "tricky" bit

outside of the engine mount everythings VERY straight forward

Old 05-16-2022, 09:59 PM   #16
sh0rtlife

remove the bumper, pop loose the radiation top support, as well as remove the top clips that hold the black plastic "fill" beside the radiator..dont break anything you will re-use it all

insert your 2 body ac line clips and basicly just slip everything together..the lines go in best if you come in from a low angle and go over the top of the engine with the radiator end of them down tward the ground

the filter and dryer can be removed with nothing more than a bolt and vice grips..dont bother trying to find an allen that will fit them it wont be worth the price, i didnt measure the bolt but can tell you that its NOT metric lol

Old 05-16-2022, 10:04 PM   #17
sh0rtlife

still waiting on some pag oil as well as a pressure switch, however i vac'ed the system amd after 2 days its still holding right where i left it so...its good to go

also seems you dont need to change any fuses or relays...110% plug n play!!!!

after looking at several 09+ i suspect they are the same plug n play, in fact the first car i gutted for the parts was an 09, the wiring from an 09 to an 07 is totaly not the same even tho ALL of the parts are save for the part number on the brain on the bottom of the heater box..its the ONLY piece i can find thats actually different..atleast as far as the number is concerned

once i get my r134, switch and oil and get it charged ill report back again on it
Old 05-23-2022, 04:13 PM   #18
sh0rtlife

charged up today took on almost 2 12oz cans, and with that said it blow nice n cold, its not as cold as a 03 crown vic of a friend of mines HOWEVER its colder than my 01 explorer sport so...im quite pleased with it

will see how it holds up over the next few months