Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2022, 07:12 PM   #1
Gilbertsmith

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatchback
Instrument cluster flickers while driving

Hey there! I've got a 2008 base model hatchback here, and for the last year or so I've noticed every once in a while (maybe weekly) the instrument cluster will flicker while I'm driving.

It looks like the backlight goes off and on a few times, like I'm adjusting the dimmer knob, which is always cranked all the way up and "locked" in that notch at the top. The gauges don't misbehave, the LCD stays lit, it's just the backlight by the looks of it, but all of the backlight, not in sections or anything.

I've had the whole cluster out and checked the connections and it all looks fine from what I can tell. Usually it'll flicker for a few seconds and then be fine for another few days.

Any thoughts where I should be looking for this? No other electrical problems (or any problems really) other than this

Thanks!
Gilbertsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:54 AM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
outside of pulling the cluster apart for inspections as well as swapping the switch out for one from a wrecker

sadly the clusters are not really bolted down..or..atleast not bolted to anything remotely solid so they are in a sense prone to alot of internal vibrations
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote