Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #37
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
I had a huge collection of wax cylinders, with all the latest tunes, but when the 78 came out they were instantly obsolete, I've been trying to catch up ever since!
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #38
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahotom View Post
I had a huge collection of wax cylinders, with all the latest tunes, but when the 78 came out they were instantly obsolete, I've been trying to catch up ever since!
That was just an improvement of the same technology, not an abandonment of the entire technology!

Some day, we might all realize that the digital technology as we know know it is obsolet also but, it may be too late to save the world's knowledge as most digital info is susceptible to radiation.....both man made and natural.

BTW, it is not a widely known fact but, some Russian fighter jets still use some vacuum tubes in their critical circuits because if there ever was a nuclear war, solid state circuits could be wiped out and cripple certain functions of the the aircraft.
Yes, Russia, (along with Chiana) still manufacture vacuum tubes and are considered very high qualty!

Most high qualty guitar amps still use vacuum tubes!

Last edited by RedRide; 01-20-2012 at 06:34 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #39
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
I know the digital world has its place. The challange for all of us is to keep it in its place
Years ago, when a person was about to go around the bend, they would call everyone they knew on the telephone and talk for hours. Psychiatrists called it "telephoneitis."

Considering how obcessed people are by their cells phones these days (to say nothing about how long they spend talking on them) we as a society are securely in the looney bin.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #40
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Years ago, when a person was about to go around the bend, they would call everyone they knew on the telephone and talk for hours. Psychiatrists called it "telephoneitis."

Considering how obcessed people are by their cells phones these days (to say nothing about how long they spend talking on them) we as a society are securely in the looney bin.
That just goes to show you that there are looneys in every generation.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #41
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I recall debates regarding the "warmth" of tubes and vinyl versus the "cold accuracy" of digital formats...

S/N ratio and the ability to play dynamic tracks effectively at any level with no audible distortion is what does it for me.

Whether that be a CD player or an MP3, WAV, FLAC (whathaveyou), I don't care. All I need is to experience the ambiance of the recording or recorded event, especially the live tracks. In my little world, it's connecting the piece of equipment together to have a signal chain that is a lossless as I can get. The source with a digital out from the CD mechanism (CAT5, S/PDIF, etc) to the processor, and ultimately to the amplifiers (which is still uncommon), keeps the recording as close to true to life as possible.

IMHO of course.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #42
RedRide

Keeping everything/all componets digital to maintain its faithfulness to the original sound is senseless if one considers that most of the original sound was not digital to begin with.

It we were to do a blind analog vs digital sound test, I would wager that most could not tell the difference with few favoring the analog.

Some have just been brainwashed/conditioned into believing digital sounds better than analog is in every case.
If one truly understood how digtal sound is created, they would understand that its impossible to reproduce absolutely every variation in the sound as analog can.

Shure, digital sound can often sound pretty damn good but, good analog can sound even better.
S/N ratio and has nothing to do with digital vs analog. Granted, all things being equal, digital media can give a bit more dynamic range than say, analog vinyl but, not by that much in most cases.

BTW, most would be shocked to learn/hear just how good AM radio can actually sound with a properly designed AM tuner. The problem is, just about all the AM sections of radio tuners, even on the best equipment, is just an after thought and often even purposely made poor quality to make the FM sound even better by comparison.

Last edited by RedRide; 01-20-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #43
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Indeed.

I agree completely that the original sound in most cases isn't digital. I also agree that most could not tell the difference between a digital source and analage source (depending).

S/N ratio for me is trying to get the best range above the noise floor. I'm not trying to change the source music, rather just trying to eliminate/reduce outside influences from the source (whether it be an analog or digital soruce). Am I going to hear the difference between 60dB and 90dB? Maybe, maybe not. This depends on all the other multidude of variables.

Don't think me an "enemy" of analog at all. As a matter of fact, You would have probably enjoyed the setup we had going on at CES last week...We had Alan Hulsebus senior engineer from JM Labs really enjoy the tube pre amp & amp setup working with our 1/4 wave BIBs.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #44
RedRide

FWIW..... Tecnology to eliminate the pops, clicks other surface nose that can develope on vinyl records was develoved in the 1970's. It works. much like oversampling does with damged CDs.
However, it was abandoned by the original maufacture when CDs came on the market for puely economic reasons and was never picked up by another company for the same reason.
By todays standard, the tecnology was very simple.

I frequently play a CD of my mp3s in the car's CD deck. Yes I can play the same MP3s via the aux jack with most any mp3 capable player.
However, that's a bit contrived with the extra wire/ conections involved, is it not? Also, the volume is often not adequate. This is (positive) progress? I thought progess was suppose to make things better and easier, not more difficult with less quality.

Liike I previously said, it simply about the complanys saving money by falsly claiming its progress and is what most peoole want!

Eliminating the cassette decks made good sense as a RWCD took the place of a cassette for the most part and was much less contrived. However, any MP3 player in any form does not equal a CD in this respect!

I don't mind a contrived sound systems for the home (I have one) but in a car, keep it simple and let me concentrate on driving!

IMO, we are putting all out tecnological eggs in one basket labled "smart phone". If the smart phone was truely smart, it would tell us not to do so! Remember what happened to the great library at Alexandria when they engaged in a similar folly of concetrating information/knowledge.

With increasing frequency, we hear of digital info that has been compromised to one degree or another.

Last edited by RedRide; 01-21-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #45
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Hey RedRide, I just wanted to say that I agree with all that stuff you said. I'll keep my old, heavy 11 inch (or 12 inch? I don't know) TV. I don't have a Smartphone, and never want to get one. I have just a regular flip phone, and the texting capabilities have been turned off. I have yet to buy an mp3 player. I don't feel like I need to buy a new computer every couple years. By the way, I am not an old person. I'm 27. However, I see all these people glued to their phones all day long, or spending their hard-earned money on (Chinese-made) big screen TV's. And do those things make them happy? Is it adding to their quality of life? No. So why bother with it?
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #46
RedRide

Don't get me wrong, I love alot of the newer tecnologys like, HD TV for example. About a year ago, I sold my perfectly good 32" 16x9 CRT TV for a 46" LED TV and I love it!

However, we must all be the master of all tecnologys and not let them be the master of us as you pointed out.

BTW, there is a misconception (fostered by comedic media) that older people do not like or understand modern/new tecnologys. This is totaly false for the most part.
Don't forget that those in their mid 60s for example, have seen the birth of the transistor and the development of the whole digital revolution.

Truth is, they simply know how to be the masters of those tecnologys they want while shunning those they trully do not need.
Example... I presently have three computers at home (that I built myself) that are connected to the net. WTF do I need (and have to pay for) a telephone that also can connect to the net for?
I also have a "flip phone" with a camera as I think also having a camera is handy to have at times. However, I just use, and only pay for its use, as a telephone with no texting.
I treasue my privacy and time when I can not be contacted and often turn my cell phone off if I do no not need it. If someone truly needs to contact me (family and close friends), they have my land line number and they can leave a message.

Endless and often pointless text messages are for children!!
Why are so many people now so afraid that they are going to miss something if they are not in contact with 100% of the people they know 100% of the time? They must be leading boring, miserable lives to be constantly so concerend about what other people are doing!

I'm getting a bit annoyed being bombarded by "scan this with your smart phone". When did advertising become entertainment that we woudd seek out?
It's another example of people allowing a tecnology to be their master

Last edited by RedRide; 01-21-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #47
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
It's another example of people allowing a tecnology to be their master

When we were married in 1980 we decided I would work and she would stay home and have and raise the children. It was great not having my wife exposed to the crazyness of the world.

But years passed the kids grew up and she joined the workforce.

One day she said:

"You know Im the only one in my office who doesnt have cable TV, a cell phone, and a car with electric windows and keyless door opener."

I said

"The house is paid for the kids are thru college we have two new cars and we dont own anyone a dime."
Old 01-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #48
RedRide

BTW, I always tell people that they should own a car and not to let a car own them, no matter how much they might like it.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #49
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Oh yeah, that scan with your smartphone stuff....I also find that that so annoying! And all it does is bring you to some sort of advertisement (like we need more of that).
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote