Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
SRS light comes and goes?

Just noticed yesterday that the SRS warning light seems like it comes and goes. It doesn't stay lit constantly...it did once yesterday, but now it seems that when you turn the car off and back on, it stays off until maybe 5 minutes later driving down the road. I didn't mess with anything or hit anything with the car so I can't really figure what it could be. Perhaps I'll try unplugging the wires underneath the drivers seat and reconnect them, etc to see what happens.

Anyone have any ideas? I tried to get the code pulled but the closest place to me that has a code reader will only do it if it's a "check engine"...they won't check any other codes.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Check the following thread for instructions on how to read the code yourself, by just jumping two pins on the OBD connector:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...d=1#post557473
Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
detroiter

i have no idea what that means to jump two pins, sorry :(
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
i have no idea what that means to jump two pins, sorry :(

Basically, you need to connect those two pins together using something metal. A piece of wire that fits into the connector holes with 1/4" of the insulation stripped off will work, or even just a paper clip, bent to allow the two ends to insert into the two holes.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I had those symptoms a few years back...the dealership had to replace my sensors.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
detroiter

Do I want to even ask how much something like that is going to cost?

Is there any harm, mechanically speaking, in not getting it fixed?

I did some internet searching and it seems like the Toyota Yaris SRS warning light was a major problem with numerous
occurences. Something like that, even if it is out of warranty, Toyota should fix it free! An airbag problem is not
caused by owners fault, it's a part that no matter how old the vehicle, it should never fail. It's like saying my
seatbelt rips in half during a crash...that sure isn't my fault.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
detroiter

I found this too...could it possibly be I have a low battery or something? When I unplug the battery and reset it, then plugged it back in to fire up...it definitely would chug very low in revs and almost try to die out. or is that the system relearning itself?

"DTC Normal Source Voltage Drop
(no code is output, but the SRS light will stay ON)

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The SRS is equipped with a voltage–increase circuit (DC–DC converter) in the airbag sensor assembly in case the source voltage drops. When the battery voltage drops, the voltage–increase circuit (DC–DC converter) functions to increase the voltage of the SRS to normal voltage. The diagnosis system malfunction display for this circuit is different from other circuits that is when the SRS warning light remains lit up and the DTC is a normal code, source voltage drop is indicated. Malfunction in this circuit is not recorded in the airbag sensor assembly, and when the source voltage returns to normal, the SRS warning light automatically goes off.

There is no other malfunction that would clear itself. "
Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
detroiter

I'm thinking it might be the problem up above, about the low life battery causing it to stay on. I just had the battery checked out and it came back in "bad" condition. And it would also make sense as to why the light comes and goes, sometimes stays on too..but if I disconnect the battery and put it back in, the sensor light will stay off for a bit before it comes back on. Perhaps when the diagnostics finally relearn itself after a bit, then it realizes that it doesn't have the battery juice it's requiring, in turn setting it off
Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
The SRS light came and went for awhile, then stayed on. Took it to the dealer, they ordered in a new flex cable and installed it for free; it's the law, apparently.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
detroiter

I hope that law applies for here in the States as well. I'm going to try getting it in tomorrow to have a look taken at it