Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
cudchew

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris Auto 3 dr
2009 Yaris starting issue -need help

Hi, I have a 2009 Yaris with automatic and about 15k miles. It just started having starting problems this week. When I got off work Friday, the engine wouldn't start, I thought the battery is done, so I got a jump and the engine started. The next day I changed the battery, but after letting the car sit for 4 hours, the car would not start again. Since I had a new battery, I just kept cranking the engine and pumped the gas pedal a few times, and the engine sputtered but managed to start. Once it starts, I can shut off the engine and restart it no problem.

I took it to the dealer and told them that the car has problem starting when sitting more than 4 hours. They kept the car overnight and said they didn't have any problem starting the engine in the morning, and they couldn't diagnose any problems, so it was a waste of time. I thought maybe they reset something during the diagnostics and the problem went away. I was wrong.

Today, after work (car's been sitting 8 hours), it would not start again. I did the trick of keep cranking the engine and pumping the gas pedal for 30 seconds, and managed to get it started again.

So I'm at a loss. The car runs fine once started, so I don't think it's any mechanical problem. Since I just changed the battery I don't think it's an electrical problem.

Any help with this one is greatly appreciated.
cudchew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, problem, starting