Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
Aggressive alignment??

After we drop our cars we get the wheels realigned. What is the difference between a stock alignment and an "aggressive" alignment. What are the pros and cons of each???
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
stock is 0 camber probably. Aggressive would be in the -1 to -1.5 range for most people but I would say "aggressive" is really more like -2 or more.

A little negative camber will help your car handle better (by creating a larger contact patch in corners) without causing excessive tire wear. At some point, enough negative camber WILL cause uneven tire wear - great for racing, tough on the equipment.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Stock alignment can be found in the manuals, which are available online.

Factory rear alignment I remember is .9 degrees camber. I believe the front was about the same. Definitely not zero. The stock Yaris wouldn't handle as well as it does if it had zero camber.

Otherwise, Cali is close. 1.5-2 degrees in front is an "aggressive streret" setting. 2-3 degrees in front is a "competition" setting. You shouldn't need to worry about the back unless you're in "competition" mode.

Usually, negative camber, even up to 2-2.5 degrees, doesn't cause tire wear UNLESS coupled with excessive toe settings. Make sure you're at or very near zero toe and you won't have wear issues. But, it also depends on your driving style and the type of driving that you do. If you do 90% straight line highway driving and you have 2 degrees of negative camber, you might see "some" inside edge tire wear. But, if you corner agressively, or do some mountain driving, or autocross or track driving, that wear will balance out.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
I had mine pretty aggressive with camber bolts, but like Loren said make sure your toe is in check. Never really noticed any excessive tire wear but then again I go through tires quickly for other reasons... gl
Old 04-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
fuji

Sounds like toe is something to be avoided. Will most shops have a problem with doing a camber which differs from stock? How will a car with high camber perform at higher speeds going straight?
Old 04-23-2009, 01:30 AM   #6
fuji

Just got back getting my alignment checked by Hunter laser alignment system. ...

Front Left
- Camber -0.2
- Caster 3.9
- Toe 0.09

Front Right
- Camber -0.5
- Caster 3.6
- Toe 0.09

Rear Left
- Camber -0.2
- Toe 0.17

Rear Right
- Camber -1.2!!!!!!!
- Toe 0.47!!!!!!!!

Arrgh!!!!!! - Why is the rear camber and toe off from each other? My understanding is you can align your frame - Any other advice????

Obviously I need to get a camber kit for the front.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
lol in a perfect world all three of those major setting would be easily manipulated with a flip of a switch....

unfortunately that's not the case. there are numerous factors that will affect the alignment....

but at any rate the easiest thing to tell you is that it's not going to be the same.
there are specifications that come from the manufacturer that say as long as the parts are within the following numbers your suspension is considered aligned.
your rear is probably just within the green zone. the rear toe is not really an issue.

but I take it you are looking for an aggressive alignment?
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:25 AM   #8
fuji

I would like a slightly more aggressive camber to aid in cornering without promoting premature wear of the tires. Sounds like 2 degrees will be just fine. I will have to get some adjustable camber bolts as well.

I was on Garm's website and noticed they offer 1.75 degree camber bolts. Are there bolts that offer more camber??

He also sells shims for the rear. That may work to correct my problem.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #9
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
What's your suspension mods anyways?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:35 AM   #10
fuji

Running NF series Tanabe springs in the front with the stock springs in the rear(carry lots of heavy people from time to time). Other than that, TRD rear sway. Would love to have some urethane bushing - too bad there are none yet.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
Loren
What?

How many curbs have you hit with that rear suspension? It's bent.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #12
fuji

The funny thing is I don't ever remember hitting a curb or big pot hole.

An suggestions on how to fix the camber and toe in the rear???
Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
Loren
What?

I'd start with a second opinion. Having a cool Hunter laser alignment rack doesn't mean that it's calibrated or that the tech knows how to use it properly.

If it really is that whacked out... it's bent. Either replace it with an axle that it's bent, or band-aid it with shims.