Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #55
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
Ummm, yea, please tell me what you do -- I want to do it, too!

I, "hypermile," and I am only getting a paltry 36MPG. Did you rub cheetah blood on your engine block while doing the hokey pokey or soemthing?
I set the cruise on 70, with AC on(it's 80 degress with 100% humidity today in TX and its December) run the cheapest gas I can find, I don't idle to warm up, etc. I do have a K&N drop-in in both of my Yaris's. I have a 40 mile commute to work that is very hilly and has a lot of curves......44 mpg!
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #56
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
BILL , you can't win . I've tried and it gets us and others more rild up . We too keep tires at 34 p.s.i. ( <or> lb. ) and get an overall average of 38 m.p.g.. If they want to speed up earlier wear on their suspensions and put themselves / others at risk that's their decision . Yeh can lead a horse to water , but yeh can't make 'em drink . NEYYYYY .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #57
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Perhaps your first set of tires were not steel belted? Many truck tires are not, or are not fully belted. The ones that came on my friend's 2004 Tacoma were not fully steel belted, nor were the ones that came on my coworker's 2008 Tacoma.

Additionally, I would be wary of trusting anything undocumented from a dealership, and only about half of what is actually documented. They are in the business of making money and will say anything to that end. They simply DO NOT want you to get any kind of longevity out of your tires, especially if they offer a tire service.
60 psi ...cool, bet your contact footprint for your tires are about 1/4" x 5"

Yeah, I'd feel reeeeeeeeeal safe with that much of nothing making contact with the road.

On a side note...most tire machines say not to seat the bead of any tire at a pressure exceeding 40 psi...but had an extra 20 psi and get out on the freeway...

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #58
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
So putting 50 psi in a tire is "disciplined driving?"
I'm sorry I wasted your time by trying to tell you about what I've learned from others; and actually implemented into my daily practices; in some great online communities where people are open minded to learning from others. Communities where people can learn about other ways of doing things which might prove our previous behaviors to be wrong and misinformed.

As I've slowly learned from some real trend setters like Bailout I've been able to increase my MPG from just over 40 MPG to consistently over 50 mpg on nearly every tank with our AT Yaris and enjoy saving money/resources by reducing wear and tear on our vehicle. I also feel much less stress from driving in a very hostile, extremely busy highway environment as my safety level has increased dramatically as well.

It's not like you're getting bad gas mileage, but I'm sure you could reduce the amount of money you spend on gas and maintenance on your vehicle if you ever put some of the ideas put forward by people like Bailout and members at cleanmpg to the test in your own daily life.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #59
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
I'm sorry I wasted your time by trying to tell you about what I've learned from others; and actually implemented into my daily practices; in some great online communities where people are open minded to learning from others. Communities where people can learn about other ways of doing things which might prove our previous behaviors to be wrong and misinformed.

As I've slowly learned from some real trend setters like Bailout I've been able to increase my MPG from just over 40 MPG to consistently over 50 mpg on nearly every tank with our AT Yaris and enjoy saving money/resources by reducing wear and tear on our vehicle. I also feel much less stress from driving in a very hostile, extremely busy highway environment as my safety level has increased dramatically as well.

It's not like you're getting bad gas mileage, but I'm sure you could reduce the amount of money you spend on gas and maintenance on your vehicle if you ever put some of the ideas put forward by people like Bailout and members at cleanmpg to the test in your own daily life.
Who to believe...the new trend setters...or the tire tech and Pat Goss (Goss' Garage) in a recent airing of Motorweek???

Sorry, I'll stick with Goss, and the recent Chrysler TSB that warned about over-inflated tires.

Less contact with the road might be good for gas mileage, but tires are made to be inflated properly, for handling and braking reasons; safety being more important than maximum fuel economy.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 12-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #60
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE -- RIGHT ANSWER! YOU MUST ALL FIGHT TO YOUR DEATHS!

Seriously though, why does everyone need to be so right on this? The OP just wanted to know what pressures you run your tires at, not your life story.

Me, I keep 'em at 37psi. Maybe will go up to 40 in the future.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #61
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post

Im just stating what I have seen in real life on my own car. You are the one attacking my results saying that they are impossible. BTW, who pays for this Cleanmpg thingy?
Old 12-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #62
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE -- RIGHT ANSWER! YOU MUST ALL FIGHT TO YOUR DEATHS!

Seriously though, why does everyone need to be so right on this? The OP just wanted to know what pressures you run your tires at, not your life story.

Me, I keep 'em at 37psi. Maybe will go up to 40 in the future.

I'll try to be right on everything: Toyota says 32psi, I'll put 32psi in the tires.

They also say 5w-30, so I use 5w-30, etc...

I might start thinking like a rebel next year and switch to 20w-50 (7qts), going down to 11psi, using green coolant, R-12 freon, bias ply tires, ATF in my 5-speed, torque my lugnuts to 200 ft/lbs, do OCI every 20k miles...or not...Toyota was right on all the other specs, don't know why they'd put a tire information label on the car that had inaccurate info on it; they didn't. OP, Toyota says 32psi...believe Toyota, or believe people that decide to nearly double that number

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 12-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #63
yarswiss
Albino truck smasher

Drives: '07 Yaris LB Auto
Had them at 45 psi for about 6 months, and have now had them at 50psi for the last 4 months. No problems to report, and while I haven't noticed a significant increase in fuel efficiency, my rolling distances have increased when not using gas.

I have actually hit a few curbs and ruts that blew out a set of tires I had before at 32psi, and they didn't show any damage when I hit the same curbs with my current 50psi tires.
yarswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #64
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I have been involved in 2 personal injuries lawsuits in my life. One has the plaintive and the other has the defendant. From my experience, I certainly wouldn’t put anything past lawyers or insurance companies. Running tires over or under inflated is a persons personal decision, that I respect. However, if I was way out of Toyota guidelines I would not post my PSI on the internet. It could be a decision that would bite me in the ass at a later time. The same goes for oil viscosity.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #65
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
I have been involved in 2 personal injuries lawsuits in my life. One has the plaintive and the other has the defendant. From my experience, I certainly wouldn’t put anything past lawyers or insurance companies. Running tires over or under inflated is a persons personal decision, that I respect. However, if I was way out of Toyota guidelines I would not post my PSI on the internet. It could be a decision that would bite me in the ass at a later time. The same goes for oil viscosity.
The way I look at it, if running nearly double the psi in my tires was the new super-magic way to see increased fuel economy, every single car company would have jumped on that free bandwagon years ago. They haven't because they want their customers to have a balance of handling, braking and fuel economy, not tilt the scales totally in favor of a 20% increase of fuel economy for their products.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 12-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #66
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarswiss View Post
Had them at 45 psi for about 6 months, and have now had them at 50psi for the last 4 months. No problems to report, and while I haven't noticed a significant increase in fuel efficiency, my rolling distances have increased when not using gas.

I have actually hit a few curbs and ruts that blew out a set of tires I had before at 32psi, and they didn't show any damage when I hit the same curbs with my current 50psi tires.
Try a panic stop at 70mph, one with 50 or 60psi in the tires, one with 32psi...see if the over-inflated tires do as well in the braking test as they did in the rut test.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 12-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #67
b_hickman11

Did any of these "test" have a deer involved? I almost hit 3 different deer this week...one of which I had to massively slam on the brakes to avoid hitting it. I would assume with double the air pressure(and less road contact) I might would have had a different outcome. Like maybe some back strap for Christmas dinner.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #68
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Panic stops do not happen to those that pay attention on the road and plan ahead. This holds true even if your fellow drivers fail to do so. On the few occasions that I have needed to brake any harder than usual I experienced no difficulty whatsoever at 60 PSI.

As for deer, yes, I run into them on the roads here, too. Also coyotes, quail, rabbits and the occasional black bear. I have never had difficulty avoiding them.

All,

There simply is no room in fuel economy discussions for alarmism or "doomism". Please stop with the venom and rhetoric or I will have this thread locked.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #69
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Panic stops do not happen to those that pay attention on the road and plan ahead. This holds true even if your fellow drivers fail to do so. On the few occasions that I have needed to brake any harder than usual I experienced no difficulty whatsoever at 60 PSI.

As for deer, yes, I run into them on the roads here, too. Also coyotes, quail, rabbits and the occasional black bear. I have never had difficulty avoiding them.

All,

There simply is no room in fuel economy discussions for alarmism or "doomism". Please stop with the venom and rhetoric or I will have this thread locked.
Triple what Toyota states for psi, you have all the built-in excuses required. Hope a semi never locks his brakes, smoking all of his trailer tires, like what happened to me last sat.

It's winter now. People drives like idiots in a hurry. Road conditions won't be that great in many areas due to the weather and road treatment (lots of sand on the ground here)

Safety is more important than fuel economy, especially in a small car that already gets 40 mpg anyway

Call up the auto makers with the revolutionary idea of running double the psi, tell them the easy way to increase the fuel economy numbers by 20% ...I'll expect them to slap their foreheads and turn their tires into 60psi basketballs soon as they hang up the phone...NOT!

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 12-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #70
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
What ? PLAN AHEAD ! There's no planning for a deer that decides to bolt out in front or into the side of your vehicle from over an embankment or from thick brush / wooded area . This has to be the dumbest ( ) thing stated on this topic so far .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #71
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
What ? PLAN AHEAD ! There's no planning for a deer that decides to bolt out in front or into the side of your vehicle from over an embankment or from thick brush / wooded area . This has to be the dumbest ( ) thing stated on this topic so far .
The real problem here is the deer. If they had more psi in their hooves, they would have better control at full stride and thus be able to avoid traffic much easier.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #72
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
So your saying you dont have the ability to forsee 5 seconds into the future to make planned decisions accordingly. And I thought i was the only one.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote