Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The EPA may have that number representing the Yaris but obviously Toyota Approves of it as thats the numbers it posts on its website,
My car with no mods and 35psi in the tires gets 44 to 45mpg when cruising on the highway at 70mph and if i go 55mph that figure goes up close to 50mpg,there may be many people who are looking for a car with that kind of economy as an alternative to a hybrid but if Toyota is advertising 29/36 rather than 38/50 those people may look elsewhere.
You don't seem to understand the laws. Neither Toyota or any other company are allowed to claim anything other than the government generated EPA numbers. Every car can easily beat EPA estimates but that doesn't mean the company can advertise the potential MPG.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #20
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
You don't seem to understand the laws. Neither Toyota or any other company are allowed to claim anything other than the government generated EPA numbers. Every car can easily beat EPA estimates but that doesn't mean the company can advertise the potential MPG.

true. I 'potentially' can get 348mpg rolling out my driveway and down the first hill, coast to a stop and shut off the motor. can I claim the Yaris gets 348 mpg ?

real world, it gets 36 mpg. epa estimates are pretty accurate.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #21
Canuck

Drives: 07 5 door Hatchback
Bottom line is that all the cars are tested the same way. We can sit and and bitch about the testing methods, but if a car's EPA beats the Yaris, then driving that car like some of us drive our Yaris would yield even better results.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #22
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Bottom line is that all the cars are tested the same way. We can sit and and bitch about the testing methods, but if a car's EPA beats the Yaris, then driving that car like some of us drive our Yaris would yield even better results.
Exactly.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #23
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
37mpg here,, slightly heavier rims and tire set up.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #24
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
question: How are you figuring the mpg? I set the trip meter to 0 when I fill up. On the next fill up I divide the miles by the gallons put into the tank. According to that method the best I have every gotten was 38.... and that was just once. I generally get around 31-34. I kept track for about the first 2 years. But I haven't been keeping track for about 1 1/2 years now.

Is that how you are calculating mpg's? Or are you using a tool that gives constant updates to your mpg? Like 127.0.0.1 said about getting 348 rolling down the driveway, but if you were driving up a hill it would display something much lower... like 20 something or maybe. Cause I know my sisters Envoy has all that fancy computer stuff measuring all that for her and I can get it to display 80+ under the right conditions. But I can also get it to display 6.
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #25
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
my guess is toyota sandbagged the yaris so it wouldn't take away prius sales.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #26
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
The EPA changed its testing criteria after the 2007 model year. My 2007 was rated at 40mpg highway. Under the new standards, it only rates 36. Check it out at http://www.fueleconomy.gov

For what it's worth, I can generally beat 36mpg in city driving. I can get above 40 on the highway without any tricks, dangerous or otherwise.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #27
The little red pill
Taking care of Bubbles

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB "Bubbles"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsladaritz View Post
question: How are you figuring the mpg? I set the trip meter to 0 when I fill up. On the next fill up I divide the miles by the gallons put into the tank. According to that method the best I have every gotten was 38.... and that was just once. I generally get around 31-34. I kept track for about the first 2 years. But I haven't been keeping track for about 1 1/2 years now.

Is that how you are calculating mpg's? Or are you using a tool that gives constant updates to your mpg? Like 127.0.0.1 said about getting 348 rolling down the driveway, but if you were driving up a hill it would display something much lower... like 20 something or maybe. Cause I know my sisters Envoy has all that fancy computer stuff measuring all that for her and I can get it to display 80+ under the right conditions. But I can also get it to display 6.
Exactly! I average about 33-36 driving very easy and rarely use a/c, mostly highway driving at 60mph. I question the techniques of some of the people who go 75 mph+ with a/c going that claim 40+ mpg. I'm very specific about my recording technique and have been through Calculus II in college so I know my calculations. lol
Old 07-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #28
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I've not broken 32mpg in 2+ years of ownership.
I'm getting a steady 30 mpg and that's with A/C on everyday this summer.
The best I ever got on my '97 Saturn twin cam was about 28mpg on a 1.9L engine. It was a stick shift, BTW.
I guess the 5 speed makes a huge difference....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #29
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
uhhhhh. The epa figured out the 29/36. Not toyota. And the yaris can't safely get 40 mpg in most situations. It involves over inflated tires and other dangerous driving habits.
44mpg driving down south... the only "dangerous" thing i did was keep my speed at about 70 the whole time (all expressway)... i probably could have hit 50 with over inflated tires. (total sarcasm at the end, by the way)
Old 07-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #30
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsladaritz View Post

scangauge and consistent fill-up procedure and setting the scangauge with
actual gas pumped in to 1st click. pretty durn accurate
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #31
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
hahaha. Sorry to everyone in this thread, I searched ebay for panty untwisters to no avail.

I hold by my statement. Read redlittlepill and wsla's posts. You are all padding your numbers, or doing something unsafe. At least bailout admits he does dumb stuff like 60 psi and shutting the engine off going down hill.

The average driver won't drive enough city, won't drive enough long trips, and won't accelerate slow enough to ever see 40 mpg. Congrats if you do(and you aren't lying like 99% of people who feel the need to post their mpg on the internet).
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #32
SLIK4
Michael

Drives: 07 Silver Yaris Sedan
Quote:
hahaha. Sorry to everyone in this thread, I searched ebay for panty untwisters to no avail.

I hold by my statement. Read redlittlepill and wsla's posts. You are all padding your numbers, or doing something unsafe. At least bailout admits he does dumb stuff like 60 psi and shutting the engine off going down hill.

The average driver won't drive enough city, won't drive enough long trips, and won't accelerate slow enough to ever see 40 mpg. Congrats if you do(and you aren't lying like 99% of people who feel the need to post their mpg on the internet).
it sure isn't very nice to assume 99% of the people are lying. sounds to me like you are just looking to start something.

i can't speak for gas mileage because i don't keep track. but for toyota not showing commercials it's probably because the yaris is selling well enough for them that they don't need to spend the extra cash on advertisements.
SLIK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #33
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Well I calculate at the pump the old fashioned way and my last two tanks were 46.2 mpg and 45.4 mpg respectively. With a granny tranny, almost constant AC use, mostly 10 mile trips in very hilly rural/in town/city driving. I do not "pad my numbers".

The "stupid" stuff I do includes 60 psi in tires, moderate acceleration, speed limit or slightly less, timing traffic lights, minimize idle time, and maximize effective DFCO use.

Gotta love the mentality where one hasn't done it so others who have must be lying.

Does it take effort? Yes. More than most would deem feasible I'm afraid. I still can't hold a candle to some here in terms of FE but I'm trying and steadily improving.
Oh, and for those that don't like people posting about their FE here's a tip-don't read FE threads!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #34
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIK4 View Post
... toyota not showing commercials it's probably because the yaris is selling well enough for them that they don't need to spend the extra cash on advertisements.
I know the commercials sold me!!! I saw one during superbowl the year before they came out. I said to folks,"I'm gonna get me one of those! That car looks awesome!" 10-2006 I fulfilled my self-proclaimed prophecy!!
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 AM   #35
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Quote:

it's no . Being honest .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #36
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Just quoting my scangauge readings,Average fuel economy readings = 36-38 around town and 44 to 47 at 70mph on the highway.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote