Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Gun Control

Last Thursday Night Around Midnight, A Woman From Houston, Texas Was Arrested, Jailed, And Charged With Manslaughter For Shooting A Man six Times In The Back As He Was Running Away With Her Purse.

The Following Monday Morning, The Woman Was Called In Front Of The Arraignment Judge, Sworn In, And Asked To Explain Her Actions.

The Woman Replied, "I Was Standing At The Corner Bus Stop For About 15 Minutes, Waiting For The Bus To Take Me Home After Work.

I Am A Waitress At A Local Cafe...

I Was There Alone, So I Had My Right Hand On My Pistol, That Was In My Purse, That Was Hung Over My Left Shoulder. All Of A Sudden I Was Being Spun Around Hard To My Left. As I Caught My Balance, I Saw A Man Running Away From Me With My Purse.

I Looked Down At My Right Hand And I Saw That My Fingers Were Wrapped Tightly Around My Pistol.

The Next Thing I Remember Is Saying Out Loud, "No Way Punk! You're Not Stealing My Pay Check And Tips."

I Raised My Right Hand, Pointed My Pistol At The Man Running Away From Me With My Purse, And Squeezed The Trigger Of My Pistol six Times!

When Asked By The Arraignment Judge, "Why Did You Shoot The Man six Times?

The Woman Replied Under Oath, "Because, When I Pulled The Trigger Of My Pistol The seventh Time, It Only Went Click."

The Woman Was Acquitted Of All Charges.

And She Was Back At Work, At The Cafe, The Next Day!

Now that's Gun Control....

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Gun control means using both hands

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Only in Texas.... so far. There is something distasteful to me about shooting a person in the back while they are fleeing. Almost as distasteful as being violated in a street crime.

I don't subscribe to the idea that "society" makes people into criminals and that those who chose the criminal life are victims. Speaking as someone who was raised in a single parent home, who had parents who drank (one quite heavily) and who was abused in some limited ways, the 'victim' narrative doesn't cut it with me. People do have some choices in life, including making a business decision to use aggression against others to earn a living.

Too bad she wasn't aware enough of her surroundings that this character got close enough to her to snatch her purse. She might have scared him off or clipped him during the attack. Looks better to a Jury.

It's not about the power to hurt others, it's about not being victimized by others.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
isnt gun control taking down targets at 800yrds?
Hitting what you want to shoot without causing any collateral damage is good gun control.

I've never heard of 800 yard shots with a handgun, Pavel. I imagine that it's possible but not within the grasp of your average person. Six hundred yards and under is pretty doable by most folks with a decent rifle of caliber 7mm to 8mm that are commonly used for hunting in North America or other places that permit it. Past six hundred yards the time of flight and trajectories involves bullet drop, windage and the ability to estimate ranges. Plus loads of practice in sight control, trigger control, and mental control.

Gene
Old 07-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
i wasn't talking specifically about handguns but guns in general.
The first sentence would be a nice Reader's Digest of my opinion's, Pavel.

Hitting stuff 800 yards away is tough. The Camp Perry meets, I think, are 1000 yard shots maximum. The scoring area of the target is a circle 44" in diameter, that a bit over a meter across. Hitting anything person sized at that range is a real feat, something beyond most folks.

Here abouts we have too many populated areas to safely shoot that far away. I'm told that a good substitute is to use air guns at 200 yards.

Gene
Old 07-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post

When Asked By The Arraignment Judge, "Why Did You Shoot The Man six Times?

The Woman Replied Under Oath, "Because, When I Pulled The Trigger Of My Pistol The seventh Time, It Only Went Click."
One time, six times, it doesn't matter. The judge followed the laws of the state. If you feel morally superior to the judge, then you should become a judge so you can judge others. Otherwise your opinion doesn't count.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
all the time you hear about this in AZ (right to carry state)

if somebody breaks into your home or business its open season on them

you hear it all the time on the news, "so and so breaks into business and gets shot 5 times" then they have the owner on the news saying theyll do it again if they had the chance!

now thats awesome!

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
JBIZZ

Drives: 2007 Liftback white
Hopefully this sets an example for other would be thiefs. 1 less person in jail spending our tax dolllars.
JBIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
A great joke, and the fact that it was in Texas made it only better!

God bless Texas! We start the ladies on the right track early in life here...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
SailDesign

Drives: .
Winchester 52B (.22) - 50 yards - no rest.
Gun control.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Target.jpg (67.6 KB, 57 views)
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
guns_girl.jpg
jihad.jpg

Aw, look... something in common! JOKE JOKE
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #12
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
No joke at all! The US media jumps on the Muslim kid with a gun; maybe because the kid isn't putting on the ain't-I-cute little grin. Either way it is all sick, and no joke!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
You have your belief, I have mine. Thats my motto!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #14
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
At least both are showing good gun discipline...their fingers are off the trigger!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
It took all six to bring down that guy? I wonder what caliber she was using?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #16
GeneW
Banned

Lots of manufacturers make 'em in pink today.

Women's handguns tend to be smaller, using less powerful rounds than those marketed for hunters or men. Such firearms are good for a man too because concealability is greater and shot to shot recovery time is reduced over some behemoth like a "magnum".

Gene
Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #17
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
A great joke, and the fact that it was in Texas made it only better!

God bless Texas! We start the ladies on the right track early in life here...

Cheers! M2
I TRUST that her drink contains no alcohol? Booze and firearms don't mix well together.

I don't personally approve of storing ammunition "out in the open" near firearms. They are best separated, unless you have the piece loaded. As I put it "Inside or Far Away, not Close".

Okay, where are the real firearms? I see two magazines atop that locker which resemble Soviet Bloc pieces. My eye tells me that they're SKS detachables, but they could also be AKs.

Gene

PS

Did anyone notice the little sign over her head, high up on the wall?

"If it has tires or tits you're going to have trouble with it". I think she better object, because she doesn't have tires but she could be "trouble".