Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 AM   #1
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
My 2012 Yaris review...

Last night, I test drove the first 2012 3-door Yaris L 5-speed I could find in my area.

The sticker was $15,1XX, he would not back off of $16,3XX. I have tier-1 credit (765 FICO score), and will have a $2,000 (motorcycle) trade and $3,000 cash down. I have already been approved through Toyota Financial Services for way more than I want to spend ($16k on the road).

Before I start, keep in mind my expectations are not BMW-level. I am driving a Geo Metro with no power steering, ESP, ABS, etc. I like simple cars. We all do right? That's why we are on Yaris World.

The outside styling: I always loved the styling of the 2nd-generation Yaris 3-door, with the exception of the front end. A little too cute and feminine for my liking.

The new, angular styling changes all of this. The front end, with the more angular facia...the back end, with it's sharp triangular tail lamps sell the viewer on simple, reliable, and fun-to-drive. It looks vaguely European in styling to my eye. Does it deliver on this fun-to-drive promise?

The interior: Versus the previous Yaris I test drove, with it's ill-fitting interior plastics, and oddly-placed instrument cluster, the new one is a breath of fresh air. I'll just get this out of the way now: I adore the plastic grain on the dash. Yes, it's hard plastic...because it starts at $15k. Go ahead and buy the VW with soft-touch this and soft-touch that all over the place. In 5 years, we will see whose car is still on the road. I won't bet against Toyota's 1NZ-FE.

I was surprised when I sat in the car. I was stunned at the amazing panoramic view outside the windshield and side glass. Visibility was outstanding, rivaled only by Honda's Fit. Blind spots up front were minimal for the B-segment. The windshield also was tall from my view, meaning you don't have to crane your neck to see stop lights any longer like in cars such as my Metro.

Out back, because of the large B-pillars, visibility takes a big hit.

I've read complains about the "plasticy" nature of the new interior. I don't get it. The old Yaris had a razor-thin layer of soft-touch plastic over the dash, but the layout of the interior left me wanting. I did love all the glove boxes, however!

The overall interior impression is light and airy. It also looks and feels sporty, especially in the Magnetic Grey metallic car I sampled. We've come a long way from penalty boxes like the Festiva and Metro!

In the driver's seat, you are greeted with a meaty, 3-spoke steering wheel. It gives an overall sporty impression, proving economy doesn't have to be boring.

A 6500 RPM tach and speedometer sit front and center, and the gauges are all very well laid out and legible. At night, they glow an orange-red.

All of the knobs on the A/C and stereo system are very intuitive and easy-to-use.

The test drive: The clutch travel is longer and more firm than I like (17 year old Geo Metro), and the gearbox is a bit notchy (probably because it is brand new). But, at the same time, it offers no false neutrals that I could determine from the test drive.

The steering is electronically-assisted, and a little heavier than I am used to (no power steering, natch). However, during the drive, I was pleasantly surprised that the steering wheel tilts so I can better view the instruments. Very nice, Toyota.

I am used to fast cars, as I've had my share. However, compared to the Metro, the Yaris is a rocket-ship. 0-60 is under 10 seconds, but requires a bit of revving and gearbox rowing to get at highway speed.

Although glass-smooth overall, the engine has very minor vibration near 6000 RPM before the next upshift.

I did a brake test in a safe area, and they lock up a bit easily, likely due to the electronic nannies that all new cars are ordered to have. I am used to a simple, mechanical system, that progressively applies pressure, not an electronic one that bites hard ASAP. That said, time for me to get into the 21st Century, eh?

What shocked me the most? While driving the car, and parked at a stop light at idle...I could not hear the engine! The A/C and stereo were off, and I could not only not hear the engine...I could not even feel it running!

Small cars should not be this refined!

Conclusion: I know as a newb, I will get a brow-beating for typing this, but, I really like the new Yaris 3-door. I even like the interior.

For $15,1XX, the base Yaris offers a lot of content for your hard-earned dollars. A USB port in the glove box (away from passersby who might want to steal your MP3 player),a tilting steering wheel, and CD player, all standard even on the base.

I thought the Fiesta and Mazda 2 were fantastic...but I am honestly blown away by this car. The handling, acceleration, interior and exterior styling, and price (at sticker, at least) offer outstanding value in the B-segment.

I was a doubter of this car, but now, having driven it, even against the competition, my faith in Toyota has been restored. Not every car can be an M3 or Z06, but for what this car is, at this price...I would not be ashamed to own this little hatch.

I hope to join the ranks of fellow Yaris owners soon with my new '12 3-door L...here's hoping. In a few months, anyway.

Some questions, if I may: What is it like dealing with TFS?

Also, I know the 2012s are new, but $16,300 is a total ripoff, don't you all think? I mean, $1,200 OVER sticker? It has no alloy wheels, window tint, etc.

Finally: there is a set of 15 inch 10-spoke aluminum alloys I'm only seeing on the 5-doors...the dealer told me they are only installed at the port, and cannot be ordered. Surely these Toyota-badged wheels can be ordered, please? I love these 10-spooke wheels so much. I don't have a picture, but they look almost like the ones on the last-gen Yaris as an accessory.

Anyone know the wheels I am talking about?

I love these forums! A pleasure to meet you all!

Last edited by CanIHazYarisHatch?; 11-01-2011 at 07:41 PM.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
One thing you can do at a dealership, is keep saying 'no" until you get what your asking for.. dealership want your money.. If he says he cant go lower, ask for the quote he have you and walk out.. try another dealership, and ask them to beat this price.. they usually will.. lol
Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
One thing you can do at a dealership, is keep saying 'no" until you get what your asking for.. dealership want your money.. If he says he cant go lower, ask for the quote he have you and walk out.. try another dealership, and ask them to beat this price.. they usually will.. lol
That's just what I have done as of last night using TrueCar and yahoo!/AOL Autos.

i show them the invoice price, (around $13k for the base L model), and what the people in the amrket on average are paying for this exact year and model (around $145XX), and this fool is blowing up my phone and inbox.

I think $151XX (sticker) is MORE than fair for the 2012 base Yaris hatch. He's trying to charge me Yaris LE money for the L model, and must take me for someone with Down's Syndrome.

I located the alloys I was talking about. Sweet.

http://www.toyota-parts.com/scripts/...idproduct=-312

Any other advice from my fellow Yaris enthusiasts on how to deal with this schmuck?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
tell him to stop calling and emailing you unless he is offering 15k, bottom line. If he continues to harass, talk to his supervisor/manager... Id go deal somewhere esle, even if you gotta go to another town.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Nice write up. The only qualm I have with it is the placement of the gauge cluster. I honest love having the gauges in the center of the car with one exception and that would be my son critiquing me on my speed from time to time. Believe it or not, but just this one thing alone would keep me from purchasing one. As for the angular looks, well that too just seems to be a rip off of other manufacturers castings. When the Yaris came out the only thing that it was ripping off aesthetically was the basic design of the front end from the Camry which of course is more OK since it is one of their own designs. I don't see any reason to be concerned with being flamed...you did a pretty good job. Buy one and you will not forget it...just make sure you get the stick shift for sure...the slushbox feels like a slug.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
tell him to stop calling and emailing you unless he is offering 15k, bottom line. If he continues to harass, talk to his supervisor/manager... Id go deal somewhere else, even if you gotta go to another town.
I'm actually enjoying it. I can hear him sweating.

i honestly have nothing against dealers feeding their families selling cars. It's when they charge $16,300...and won't back off one dollar that grills my cheese. Such arrogance must not be rewarded with a sale. Especially not at that kind of markup!

I have no loyalty. I will go to any dealer within 100 miles of my location for the best price (within $100...not trying to burn the savings in long road trips), and I told him this is the e-mail last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Nice write up. The only qualm I have with it is the placement of the gauge cluster. I honest love having the gauges in the center of the car with one exception and that would be my son critiquing me on my speed from time to time. Believe it or not, but just this one thing alone would keep me from purchasing one. As for the angular looks, well that too just seems to be a rip off of other manufacturers castings. When the Yaris came out the only thing that it was ripping off aesthetically was the basic design of the front end from the Camry which of course is more OK since it is one of their own designs. I don't see any reason to be concerned with being flamed...you did a pretty good job. Buy one and you will not forget it...just make sure you get the stick shift for sure...the slushbox feels like a slug.
No autos for me. I chose to row my own, and the Yaris gearbox is pretty nice, has a bolt-action rifle kind of feel to it.

I see my humble review generated a few views...don't be shy folks, share your opinions, even if you think the new Yaris is crap. We're all friends here...

Let's get this forum moving!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
i dont suppose you noticed how fast it was revving at 60 mph or 70 mph...or maybe you didnt get up to those speeds.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Hijack alert:roxy1, I saw the Veloster last weekend, sat in it and what a neat car! The exhaust is cleverly done and the inside door handles deserve note too. Seems like a decent price for what you get. Good luck with it!
As for the Yaris; DON'T pay over sticker! Sounds like they don't want to develop a relationship with you, just your wallet. I still can't find one in my area, BUT if I decide to get one, I will wait till spring when there should be a better supply. I'm very eager to finally find one to check out and test drive....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #9
john21031

Drives: '10 Fit Sport MT and 2012 Fit
Good review. Please don't rev the engine to 6000 rpm since this car is going to be owned by someone else. It's bad for the engine being new and not broken in. Same thing with the brakes.

I have '10 fit and compared to the fit, the '12 Yaris LA Auto that I drove, was a floaty boat. The steering is much more vague. The car follows road bumps and groves like a car that's made for the elderly (think Grand Marquis).

The fit is definitely a more fun to drive car, has flat cargo floor/seats area, has a new engine design, but a bit more expensive.

john21031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #10
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
i dont suppose you noticed how fast it was revving at 60 mph or 70 mph...or maybe you didnt get up to those speeds.
I was only on the side roads, it was Halloween night during the test drive, and people were impatient as all get out. What is the engine speed at 60 or 70? I imagine it's probably 3 grand. I've read the new Yaris has overdrive, you I didn't see any buttons or switches indicating such. Can someone enlighten me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
As for the Yaris; DON'T pay over sticker! Sounds like they don't want to develop a relationship with you, just your wallet. I still can't find one in my area, BUT if I decide to get one, I will wait till spring when there should be a better supply. I'm very eager to finally find one to check out and test drive....
It is a sweet little car. It's not perfect (very heavy steering at low speeds), and road feel through the 3-spoke wheel is indeed vague until you start getting up to speed (30-ish mph). It also looks killer in the Magnetic Grey metallic. It's a three-way tie between the Grey, Lagoon Blue Mica, and Blazing Blue Pearl. I just need to see the colors in person before I decide.

I live in Texas, so what would be a good out-the-door price? Sales tax is 6.25% of sticker (or sale price, if I can bargain the dealer down), so at $15,100 (hypothesized sticker), about $16,100 with TT&L all included? This is just my first new car, and I don't want to get ripped off. Any advice guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john21031 View Post
Good review. Please don't rev the engine to 6000 rpm since this car is going to be owned by someone else. It's bad for the engine being new and not broken in. Same thing with the brakes.

I have '10 fit and compared to the fit, the '12 Yaris LA Auto that I drove, was a floaty boat. The steering is much more vague. The car follows road bumps and groves like a car that's made for the elderly (think Grand Marquis).

The fit is definitely a more fun to drive car, has flat cargo floor/seats area, has a new engine design, but a bit more expensive.
Normally, I wouldn't have done this, as I actually care about the next owner's experience...but I was in a major city, test driving on Halloween night, so people were driving like maniacs.

I would consider the Fit, but it looks like an MPV, and is, in my view, overpriced. I am only interested in the sleeker looks of 3-door hatches. If the Yaris was only in 5-door trim in the U.S., I wouldn't even look at it. Kind of superficial, I know...but I can't stand more than two doors, or an auto transmission in my cars.

The Fit is a brilliant drive, though.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #11
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Update: This is what I'm talking about, right here!

Sadly, this is an LE w/auto transmission.

I'm torn between Lagoon Blue Mica, Magnetic Grey Metallic, and Blazing Blue Pearl...at any rate, these alloys set the Yaris off!

Old 11-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
It is nice that they have a speedo to 145 rather than the 130ish of previous generations.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
It is nice that they have a speedo to 145 rather than the 130ish of previous generations.
I still think 145 is a bit optimistic.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #14
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by john21031 View Post

If I wanted a Yaris that had an interior almost exactly like the Fit, I would've bought a Fit. Moving the gauge cluster behind the steering wheel is the only improvement I see. The designers could've done just a little better.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
The Limo

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I have the older Yaris and my speedo goes to 220
Roy
The Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limo View Post
I have the older Yaris and my speedo goes to 220
Roy
That would be due to the fact that 220 kph = ~137 mph.

For some reason I thought the Yaris was electronically speed limited to 110-ish. Is the 2012 model limited?
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
Zillon

Drives: '06 xA
Send a message via AIM to Zillon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stove View Post
That would be due to the fact that 220 kph = ~137 mph.

For some reason I thought the Yaris was electronically speed limited to 110-ish. Is the 2012 model limited?
Only one way to find out...
Zillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #18
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIHazYarisHatch? View Post
I still think 145 is a bit optimistic.
130 was already a bit optimistic!