Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
Just got my Yaris: some questions

Hey all,

I just got my Yaris 5-door hatchback and I'm tickled pink! I love it to pieces! Everyone here keeps asking me why I got that instead of the new Honda Jazz / Fit. Well, I had the old Jazz / Fit before so I wanted to try something new. There are a botaload of great parts both JDM and USDM (NST is on top of my list) Plus the Yaris is soo much cheaper here at least.

Anyway I've got some questions. Under heavy braking, the rear end feels a bit lively / squirelly. I still have the stock suspension and the stock 15' wheels and 185 tires. Is this normal (due to the suspension / layout and weight distribution?) or should I have the alignment checked first? I've been warned by my dealer that because the Yaris has EPS, a normal wheel alignment shop might damage it. BS or truth in it? Problem is the dealership's alignment guys seem to suck a$$ in general when it comes to alignment jobs and my own guy at the place I go to is the best for a whole variety of cars.

Next up, has anyone ever felt that the seats of the Yaris / Vitz lack thigh support? I'm 5'10'', carry a big 42' waistline and weight in at about 240lbs. (Yeah looks funny when I step out of the Yaris). I don't feel I get enough thigh support so after 2-3 hours driving, my things and legs are pretty weary. Considering RECARO or BRIDE seats just to cure that because it does get tiresome if you've been on the road the whole day (traffic here in Manila sucks big time, only Bangkok,Tokyo and Manhattan are worse in my opinion!)

Last, do those typical OBDII scanners work in the Yaris? The ones that show Water Temp, IAT, TPS, RPM, fault codes etc from companies like Blitz, GReddy, Cobb etc?

Thanks guys. Loving the car each minute. A friend in the US has ordered me the NST stuff already so I'm excited, plus I'm waiting for my MEGAN Racing chassis braces to arrive at the end of this month.
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
I've felt the rear getting a little light under heavy braking at the track, though I have basically no interior and better front brake pads and rear shoes. There is no adjustability in the rear per se, though you can make camber and toe changes with aftermarket shims. In my opinion the car needs much stiffer front springs to counteract the heavy nose dive I've experianced.
As far as the OBDII port you should be ok. I'm not 100% sure about anything other than the USDM Yaris, though.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Congrats on your new Y!

Strut bars in the rear should take care of that. A rear cross-brace helps even more.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by botchilah View Post
Hey all,
Next up, has anyone ever felt that the seats of the Yaris / Vitz lack thigh support? I'm 5'10'', carry a big 42' waistline and weight in at about 240lbs. (Yeah looks funny when I step out of the Yaris). I don't feel I get enough thigh support so after 2-3 hours driving, my things and legs are pretty weary.
My son and I both have a Yaris. My son weighs in at 242/5'11" but waist is 36. He says he has no discomfort on long drives. Perhaps it is his different proportions in his build being thinner in the middle. He says he is very comfortable in the seats on his long commute.

I also have not had discomfort, but I do not do long drives.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
Thanks guys for the inputs! Will check the alignment at my shop anyway regardless of what the dealer says. Is there a fix / cure for the steering wheel's lack of feel on-center?

I got an OBDII scanner. Pretty handy. Bugging my friend now to get me those NST goodies hehehehe
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Alignment does not hurt the electric power steering. You get more snappy response if you dial your front wheel's toe angle to neutral or slight toe-out. Using wider tires will also help with steering feel, as will lowered and stiffened springs/coilovers.

OBD2 scanners/info units such as Blitz RVIT i-color work on my Thai-domestic Yaris. I would think your car should be from the same source - it'll work, except I can't get mine to show the O2 readout.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
BOT>What motor do you get in the phillipines?- same 1.5 as N.A. or something smaller?
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
buchieboy

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Only 1.5 L engine is available in the Phil
buchieboy is offline   Reply With Quote