Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #37
A1an

Drives: '89 Jetta, '07 Rabbit
At the time our dealer gave us the news on the Yaris order they stated they couldn't find any with a manual in FL. The ball is rolling on the Sonic. We already wasted over two months of our time/energy/efforts on that Yaris so we aren't going to invest any more for a car built by a manufacturer with distributors/dealers that don't seem to want our money.

Waiting to hear back from our dealer to see if they were able to locate the 1LZ in the color we want. If not we are looking at a 6-8 week order time.

Last edited by A1an; 03-06-2012 at 04:23 PM.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #38
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Finding a manual in anything but the base model 3 door is practically impossible. I tried to find a manual sedan with all the other options and they just couldn't even figure out why I'd want that.

IMO the automatic in the yaris sucks. I've been able to resolve a lot of my problems with performance parts, but mine was HORRID about gear hunting while going up hill. I hate that when you put the brakes on it drops to 3rd, how when it's cold it's stuck in 3rd, etc. The transmission is really the only complaint I have about the Yaris, but it's a big one. That automatic is horrible.

If I have my way, I'll never own another fucking automatic ever I've gotten so fed up with this one.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #39
A1an

I'm completely dumbfounded by this being a car that Toyota obviously makes but have to do all the leg work to get it by flying to the other side of the country, locating for the dealer, paying to have it transported, or whatever. I understand the distributor argument that manual transmissions don't sell like the automatics, but this is an order from a paying customer who put money down to get it. It is a friggin guaranteed sale to get money in their pockets so it isn't like it is going to sit on the lot. Ugh. I'm so pissed right now at how stupid this whole thing is.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #40
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Drives: 2010 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Finding a manual in anything but the base model 3 door is practically impossible. I tried to find a manual sedan with all the other options and they just couldn't even figure out why I'd want that.

IMO the automatic in the yaris sucks. I've been able to resolve a lot of my problems with performance parts, but mine was HORRID about gear hunting while going up hill. I hate that when you put the brakes on it drops to 3rd, how when it's cold it's stuck in 3rd, etc. The transmission is really the only complaint I have about the Yaris, but it's a big one. That automatic is horrible.

If I have my way, I'll never own another fucking automatic ever I've gotten so fed up with this one.
My sedan was a manual - it was fullllly loaded, and that was of 3 manuals they had on the lot - they had a white one and a red one and I didn't want to wait on anything, and I sure as hell won't ever own an automatic (they had one of those in black - seexxxyy) so I took the blue one I test drove :) That was in Minnesota too of all places, I do believe it was October of 2006 when my exhusband bought it for me. We test drove it because I needed to get rid of my Denali (I was sick of paying to put gas in that sucker....but I sure miss it now....lol) and the salesman said, "We have got the cutest little car - I'm sure you'll love it" and at first I was like "You've got to be kidding - is that even a legal size to drive?!" bawhahah

Anyway - yeah, they had plenty of manuals with lots of options in Minnesota back when they first came out. Maybe it was because it was the first time they were in the US? idk. That's weird they had them up there but not down here.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #41
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
I'm completely dumbfounded by this being a car that Toyota obviously makes but have to do all the leg work to get it by flying to the other side of the country, locating for the dealer, paying to have it transported, or whatever. I understand the distributor argument that manual transmissions don't sell like the automatics, but this is an order from a paying customer who put money down to get it. It is a friggin guaranteed sale to get money in their pockets so it isn't like it is going to sit on the lot. Ugh. I'm so pissed right now at how stupid this whole thing is.
If it was a Camry or something that you'd spend more on, I bet they'd find it. Dealers are just lazy when it's not a super high dollar they're making. I was told when I bought my LB that they don't make as much on the Yaris as the other toyota models .... so maybe that's why they just don't care. It's sad ... you'd think you'd want to build a relationship with someone - because eventually you're going to need a new car, and when you do if you're treated right you'll go back to the last place you bought a vehicle at. But that dealership lost that chance, and made you go away from Toyota completely. Sad
Old 03-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #42
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
By far the most intelligent little automatic transmission (paired with that motor) I have ever driven!
Its a smooth package, and still fun to drive.
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #43
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
Its a smooth package, and still fun to drive.
That's what she said.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #44
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Hi, there seems to be a ton of confusion here.

SE Toyota is a wholly separate company from Toyota NA, fully owned by someone else. They own Toyota sales in the Gulf States, all of them.

Toyota NA can't do anything about them, the deal was made a long time ago, and someone took a gigantic risk when no one would buy a toyota.

Regardless, that really stinks. But that is how they operate. There are many truly insane stories like this floating around about SE Toyota making bad decisions.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #45
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post

SE Toyota is a wholly separate company from Toyota NA, fully owned by someone else. They own Toyota sales in the Gulf States, all of them.

Toyota NA can't do anything about them, the deal was made a long time ago, and someone took a gigantic risk when no one would buy a toyota.
THANK YOU

i was tired of all the ignorance and hopefully this will end this discussion. look forward to seeing the NEW chevy shots....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #46
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post

Regardless, that really stinks. But that is how they operate. There are many truly insane stories like this floating around about SE Toyota making bad decisions.
That's crazy! I had no idea that it would be different .... I'd never heard of that. Huh, guess you do learn something new every day :)
That is super crappy that this isn't the first horror story involving them, that's sad because they're putting a bad taste in peoples mouth about Toyota in general if they operate like that on a regular basis :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
CALL 1-800-331-4331

EXPLAIN in detail your problem

Quote:
THANK YOU

i was tired of all the ignorance and hopefully this will end this discussion. look forward to seeing the NEW chevy shots....
Yes, because you were right there to be the first to let us all know about that information - I can't believe we didn't listen when you told us about how they aren't involved with Toyota NA in any way
Old 03-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #47
A1an

I completely understand SE Toyota is the distributor for Toyota in my region. My issue is with them, not with the manufacturer or the dealer (and I thought I made that pretty clear).

I already went down to the dealership to get my deposit refund. I spoke with the sales manager a bit to see if I could get a reason why it was rejected since the info I previously posted was the salesman's theories on why it could have possibly been rejected. The manager states he wasn't given a reason and is never told why. I just find it odd that SE Toyota will order me a 3-door base with a manual trans but not the SE with the manual trans. Makes no sense and that pisses me off even more.

Anyways...water under the bridge. Not going to harp on it any longer but I can say SE Toyota won't ever see a dime from me thanks to this incident. We head to the Chevy dealer tomorrow to put the order in on the Sonic. Should have it in 6-8 weeks unless they are able to locate one in the meantime. I'll be sure to post up photos.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #48
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
It's quite frustrating, eh?

The way it was explained to me is that Toyota figures out what the most popular option packages are (possibly by region?), and decides it'll sell those in specific areas. Take rates on manual transmission cars are about 8% across the board; small cars are a bit higher.

As someone else mentioned earlier on in the thread, Toyota (and most other manufacturers) don't make much profit at all on small cars, so they don't prioritize them. To me, this is short-term thinking with regards to sales. A lot of people will return to a dealer (and or recommend family/friends to a dealer) or recommend a certain car brand because of a good experience. Maybe you've heard people say, "You have a good experience, you tell five people. You have a bad experience, you tell 500 people."

My guess is your dealer could probably have put out a locator on the car you wanted, even if it was outside of your area so they could get you what you wanted. You may have had to pay (or negotiate your way out of paying) a transportation fee to bring the car to your area. However, it doesn't sound like that option was even offered up.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #49
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lynn View Post
That's crazy! I had no idea that it would be different .... I'd never heard of that. Huh, guess you do learn something new every day :)
That is super crappy that this isn't the first horror story involving them, that's sad because they're putting a bad taste in peoples mouth about Toyota in general if they operate like that on a regular basis :(

Yes, because you were right there to be the first to let us all know about that information - I can't believe we didn't listen when you told us about how they aren't involved with Toyota NA in any way
AWWW , you act like it affected you personally that i refused to participate.
IM TOUCHED....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #50
A1an

They said they could only do dealer trades within the SE region so the cars we found out in CA or CO would have to be done with those dealers.

After this whole thing started to go downhill we found one manual SE up in either SC or NC that they offered to get for us, but unfortunately it was in a color my wife did not want. I'd say she is being too picky since if it were me I probably would have jumped on that car, but this is her first new car in about 10 years so I can't blame her for trying to get exactly what she wants.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #51
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Quote:
AWWW , you act like it affected you personally that i refused to participate.
IM TOUCHED....
You did participate - but your heavily laid sarcasm just now completely affected me. I don't think I'll ever recover. Will probably cry myself to sleep tonight.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #52
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
It's quite frustrating, eh?

The way it was explained to me is that Toyota figures out what the most popular option packages are (possibly by region?), and decides it'll sell those in specific areas. Take rates on manual transmission cars are about 8% across the board; small cars are a bit higher.

As someone else mentioned earlier on in the thread, Toyota (and most other manufacturers) don't make much profit at all on small cars, so they don't prioritize them. To me, this is short-term thinking with regards to sales. A lot of people will return to a dealer (and or recommend family/friends to a dealer) or recommend a certain car brand because of a good experience. Maybe you've heard people say, "You have a good experience, you tell five people. You have a bad experience, you tell 500 people."

My guess is your dealer could probably have put out a locator on the car you wanted, even if it was outside of your area so they could get you what you wanted. You may have had to pay (or negotiate your way out of paying) a transportation fee to bring the car to your area. However, it doesn't sound like that option was even offered up.
That is so true, the reason that I bought a 2nd Yaris was because I had such a great experience with the 1st - so figure that first $17,600 sale doubled because just 3 years later they made another $18,300 on me when they sold me my LB .... all because I had a great experience with the dealer and Toyota in general and I really see no reason to change once you have a good thing going with a brand/dealership. And because of my new dealership being as awesome as the fist one was, my next new car will be a Toyota also.

It's really too bad that OP had such a bad experience ... because they are such fun cars to own :)
Old 03-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #53
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
They said they could only do dealer trades within the SE region so the cars we found out in CA or CO would have to be done with those dealers.

After this whole thing started to go downhill we found one manual SE up in either SC or NC that they offered to get for us, but unfortunately it was in a color my wife did not want. I'd say she is being too picky since if it were me I probably would have jumped on that car, but this is her first new car in about 10 years so I can't blame her for trying to get exactly what she wants.
Color means a lot .... you have to look at it every day, and if it's not what you want, you'll end up hating it because you spend the money on something you're not really happy with. So I don't blame her
Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #54
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I agree, a car is the second most expensive thing you will ever buy. get exactly what you want And never think you are being too picky. The second you drive a brand new car off the lot you are stuck with it for a long time.

Unfortunately SE Toyota is a pain in the rear. There are a few setups like this from back when being a car distributor was a major deal and the companies didn't want to do it themselves. But SE Toyota is the only one that makes it a real headache. In my area, Subaru of New England is wholly owned by a local car dealer that fronted the cash to import Subaru's in 1968. He chooses which people to give dealerships too, and he owns most Subaru dealerships himself in all of New England.

Anyways, come back and tell us about the Chevy. It looks like an interesting little vehicle.