Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #19
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
IIRC the metal socket wrench that I tried (one of 4 different ones of that style) was marked as an "F" size. It slipped no matter how hard I'd pushed up. The guy at the store told me it was the smallest that he had.

Now that it's off I hope to never need another wrench, but if I do I'll have a bit more time to find a properly sized band wrench, which is what I used for many years on my old V8 powered junkers without incident.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #20
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

i just put a K&N oil filter on my car, it has a built in nut to grab for unbolting :D
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #21
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horse View Post
I use this cup wrench the smallest size and a picture from the DIY
I use this type with a 3/8" ratchet and 8" extension.
Works like a charm.
I do run my car up on ramps to get easier access.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #22
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
my 93 lincoln had a terrible placement for the filter, and and even my volvo. the yaris has had the best placement so for for me haha
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #23
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
I jacked up the front end of my sons 09 yaris used a big screwdriver like a chisel and a hammar on the top edge had it off in no time
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #24
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
I know im not being helpful, however I just put it on ramps and used my hand to take the factory filter off when it was warm, it didnt seem difficult to me
Old 02-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #25
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
screwdriver through the side.. and turn
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #26
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Try taking the filter off a Mazda Protoge. Its Sideways at the back of the motor, under the intake manifold and surrounded by AC and heater plumbing. Absolutely the worse I've seen in 30 years. Our new Subaru Forester is not too great either - the exhaust cat is right under it. Subarus Impreza used to be easy - you didnt even have to get UNDER the car, you could reach everything sitting in front of the front bumper. On the Yar - just used the cup wrench - easy as pie.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #27
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I've got an old-time K&D filter wrench that consists of a piece of seat belt webbing hooked to a square tube with a 1/2" inside dimension. I can wrap the strap on any filter and put a 1/2" rachet wrench in the end sticking down and take it off. I also am converting to the K&N filter at the 25,000 mile change.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #28
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
It's not so hard...jees us! Just puncture it with a philips screw driver and hammer then turn the damned thing to loosen, then hand turn it off....all this in 1 minute....2.5 hours?!? WOW!
Came in to post this. make sure you apply some oil around the gasket on the new filter so this doesn't happen again
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #29
REM

Drives: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by id3379 View Post
so did i, i think how close the filter is to the block is one of the stupidest idea's ever, i don't have problems getting mine off but it is so dam close, what were they thinking ??
This is the best placement I have seen, outside of my Chevy 1500. The only thing that made my truck better was it had higher clearance and I could crawl right under it and there was a lot of room. However, I don’t need to put my Yaris on ramps either; I just reach under and take care of business.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #30
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I liked changing my old c20. It had the 292 and wit hot oil you could lay under that thing and have it drained and filter changed in 10 minutes unless you want every last drop to come out of it.

I think my hands are stronger than some peoples. When I would use jiffy lube it would either be stuck on or not even what I call hand tight.

One thing to watch for when the filters were put on that tight is that the o ring cam all the way off the motor and is in one peace. I have seen a lot of them that ripped or were stuck.
firebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #31
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
screwdriver through the side.. and turn
i also have used a pair of channel locks.. filters come RIGHT off!
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #32
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
If you're using the filter cup, make sure you put the cup on FIRST, then attach the wrench to it.

On the cup filter I use for my truck the wrench tip actually pokes out and hits the filter, not letting the cup lock onto the filter. If I put the cup on first then GENTLY attach the wrench it works like a charm.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #33
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i took mine off from top.. right on the engine bay.. clamp and turn walah!!
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #34
yaris prime
Yes- I fit in it.

Drives: 2007 Yaris liftback, MT
strap type filter wrench works good on this app.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 AM   #35
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris prime View Post
strap type filter wrench works good on this app.
My plight is long since over, but I tried a few of those and couldn't find one small enough. Kragen had a smaller size, but not in stock. Now that I've changed the first filter I don't anticipate any future problems because a properly installed filter can be removed by hand!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #36
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
The easiest car I've had to change the oil on was a 94 Geo Metro hatchback. A 3 cylinder engine with a ton of room in the bay. I'd have to say the d15b7 engine on my old Honda Del Sol was really easy as well. The oil filter on the H22a that I had in my 92 Prelude was kind of a pain in the butt, was wedged on the backside of the engine block between the firewall.

I'd have to say the oil filter location is super easy on this Yaris but I hate that there is the molded lip thing on the engine that surrounds it. Maybe I have superman grip or something but I usually just grab the oil filters by hand and turn as hard as I can, usually breaks them free. The engine design on the Yaris makes it hard to get my fingers and hand around the filter. So while it's easier in the location of the filter, it's harder for me to get it off.

My vote for easiest oil change in the world goes to the old Mazda Rx7's. :)
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote