Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
All I wanted to do...

...was take out my seats so I could lay down some sound deadening material. I was so looking forward to getting that done this weekend until I ran into the BOLT FROM HELL.

It's a passenger side seat bolt on the seat rail closest to the door. All of the other bolts came out just fine except for this mf'n one. I swear that feckin thing must be welded in. Ok - I've run into this before - there's lots of things I can try. Gotta rule out PB or any sort of loosening spray because I can't get to the threads... fair enough.

Lemme try a smaller sized socket. No go. Ok - I can dremel down the sides and make some nice flat surfaces to grab onto. Nope, try again. Hmm... maybe I can slot the thing and get it out with a large screwdriver bit - hell no the metal on the head is too soft and the bit just fucks up the slot. Vice grips? Ha! Try again.

Wait - they make all sorts of cool doo-dads designed to get out rounded off bolts! Off to the store I run and buy a bunch of these miracle workers...none of them work. Ok, now the head is so fucked up that it's useless.

Time to dremel off the flange so I can at least get the seat out of the fecking way and then I'll be able to drill that bitch out. So I run through about three cut-off wheels and I can't get enough of the head flange off to be able to lift the damned seat out. The working space is terrible, the fact that the bolt sits in a recess makes it nearly impossible to get a good angle on the fecking thing. I can't even get at the bolt from the backside to flaten the sides to fit a socket!!!

What kind of shit soft metal are these bolts made of anyway?!? Everything I try just shaves off more metal. Here I sit with a massively cut up bolt - two days wasted trying to get the fecking thing out and no closer to success than when I started. Ain't that a bitch. I think I need a torch to cut the fecking thing out, but that would probably just set the interior on fire.

If I haven't tried something that one of you knows works well then please let me know. I give up for today and probably for about a week until I can tackle it again. I'm fucking pissed!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
^^ Me too.

Lefty loosey dude!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Lefty loosey dude!
+1
Cut the bolt head into as many peaces as you can and then rip and chisel what is left of the bolt head out.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Honestly, I say leverage. Put a longer lever on that wrench.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
You said "socket" -- but aren't those starz bolts (or whatever they are called)? Are you using the appropriate socket to grab those? It's a special one.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
Altitude

This didn't happen because I was turning it the wrong way.

I think some factory worker was OD'd on roids when he was torquing that fucking bolt.

I tried cold chiseling that fucker too. It won't budge. Anywho, I plan to provide pics of the carnage once I get the bastard out. Stay tuned.

Edit - Cali - yes they require torx sockets and I have the right one - like I said the other bolts came out easy.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

I was only messin Altitude... I didn't think you were turning it the wrong way.

Jackhammer + Yaris + video camera = WIN!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I was only messin Altitude... I didn't think you were turning it the wrong way.

Jackhammer + Yaris + video camera = WIN!
It's cool - I'm not offended and I figured as much.

I'm gonna make that bolt my bitch - it's personal now.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Please tape this.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
Altitude

I know I said I was going to wait - but I couldn't go to sleep tonight knowing that bolt was out in the garage mocking me and I swear I heard it laughing when I was writing the first post. So.....

Victory is mine! I gave up trying to take off the flange and gave one of those 'Bolt-Out' tools one more shot. So I ground down the bolt head (what was left of it) and tried one more time. Now I don't know if it was all the cursing, the heat from the grinding or just that the bolt decided it had had enough of my tough love, but this time it came out easier than all those before it. Go figure.

Sorry I didn't get to video the whole ordeal. It was quite the light show with sparks flying and shit getting in my eyes (yes I was wearing safety glasses but they made my vision like looking through a fishbowl so I had to take them off.) Anyhow - I snapped some pics to document the epic struggle.

This is a picture of the type of bolt used to hold down the seats in a Yaris.

This is a picture of the Torx Socket used to remove them.

This is a picture of the tools I used to extract the BOLT FROM HELL. Most of them didn't help, but I was desperate.

This is a picture of the mess it made. I was was real careful not to mess up the seat rail at first. Then I just said fuck it, a little paint and it'll be good as new. Besides I even contemplated hacking off the foot of the rail and buying a new one... That little tool you see to the right of it is the one that did the trick. It's tapered inside and has some 'cutting teeth' to grip the head.

It's not easy working with a Dremel in such close quarters as shown here.

These are some things that got broken in the process. Just some plastic bits from the end cap of the seat rail and a piece of broken cut-off wheel from the Dremel - there's a few more pieces of those somewhere inside the Yaris - but at least they didn't end up in my eye.

Here's a pic of the offending bolt after I had my way with it. Take that bitch!

Oh, if anyone is interested in having their seats removed, I'd be glad to help.

Last edited by Altitude; 03-23-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Fixed pics
Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #11
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
...no pics showing up.....
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:25 AM   #12
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to Snyprwlf47 Send a message via Yahoo to Snyprwlf47
Please fix pics...The suspense is killing me. It reminds me of the oil filter I had that I bent a pry bar in an attempt to remove.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #13
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
tried to fix the pictures but the original attachments are no longer there?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #14
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
Maybe somebody put a couple drops of locktite on the the bolt after they cross-threaded it at the manufacturing plant.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
pics are good now....

didja ever think to try some pb blaster or other lubricant at all during this ordeal....?
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
This didn't happen because I was turning it the wrong way.

I think some factory worker was OD'd on roids when he was torquing that fucking bolt.

I tried cold chiseling that fucker too. It won't budge. Anywho, I plan to provide pics of the carnage once I get the bastard out. Stay tuned.

Edit - Cali - yes they require torx sockets and I have the right one - like I said the other bolts came out easy.

Impact hammer on the head (or what remains). Drill through the rest without contacting the threads.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #17
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
pics are good now....

didja ever think to try some pb blaster or other lubricant at all during this ordeal....?
I mentioned that in the original post.

The thing just wouldn't budge and I ended up stripping the head so I could no longer grip it - hence the fiasco. If this had been a standard bolt with a flush surface and easy access it wouldn't have been nearly as difficult as it was. Once I got it out it didn't seem as though it was cross threaded or anything like that. I think I just was unfortunate to have a bad bolt. Maybe some impurities in the metal during casting because it stripped pretty easily and the others seemed to take the torque much better and showed no signs of weakness.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #18
enobmort42
First time DIYer

Drives: '07 LB Polar White
Send a message via AIM to enobmort42
wow.. Sounds like something I'd run into, and I don't have half the tools you do!