Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2006, 12:33 AM   #145
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
i hope this car turns into a girls car just for the fact that the guys will get the 5speeds

jk girls can drive stick too (mine) OH!

and by that i mean my gf
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:23 AM   #146
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Just read the entire thread (no work today), and I can't believe that Toyota has so completely misread the U.S. market. I guess they did not see the growing interest in the performance sub-compact field.
My experience in purchasing my Yaris is as follows:
Friday - inquired about the availability of '06 RS hatch-backs (5-speed) - the sales manager got on the computer and located 3 on dealer lots in Ontario, he got on the phone to each of those dealers to see if they were willing to part with them.
Tuesday - sales manager called to say that the dealerships had responded - one was sold - did I prefer a 3 or 5 door???
Wednesday - after thinking about it overnight (and taking one last look at the Fit) I told Toyota I would take the 3-door with B-pkg.
Thursday - after seeing the pics of Echo's car with the lowering springs, asked the dealer about availability - he said IF I ordered then they would be at the dealership next day, plenty of time to be installed for a Saturday delivery.
Friday - car and springs arrived at my dealer.
Saturday - 10:00 A.M. delivery!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:28 AM   #147
ricko

In reference to my last post, at no time did I make any sort of deposit. BTW ...... I wanted an '06 because of the better interest rate, but at the same time the sales manager checked on the availability of '07s and was able to locate which cars were "landed" and which ones were still "on the water".
Old 04-18-2006, 10:39 AM   #148
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
it seems wierd that they wouldn't stock many manuals, especially with a small car, i always thought the two went hand in hand, to get the most fun out of a small engine, you need a stick.
also, it seems like toyota is aiming the american release as stictly an entry level car (they scrimped on a tach for christs sake), so wouldn't the people buying them want them to be as cheap as possible?

like ricko, i had no problem when i got my car last november, i had a 6 day wait to get it, although if i was fussy about the colour, i would have had to wait another week to get the colour i wanted.

it seems like they are a bit under-stocked for the u.s. release of this car, i think americans are in the mood for smaller cars, and i think toyota missed the boat here.
apparently in canada, suv sales went up this past year, rather than down like in the u.s. (we are regressing here in the north).
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #149
ricko

Like "stuffy", I really am totally mystified by Toyota's attitude towards the U.S consumer. Are we really that different???? Perhap's there is no need for a block heater in S.Florida, but for the most part the needs/desires of American and Canadian buyers are the same. Don't we both value saving a dollar, look at driving as more than just transportation, and find the rules of cricket totally incomprehensible!!! They must be getting their market research from the "Big 3" who insist that Americans don't buy hatchbacks, don't like manual transmissions, and are more concerned with surviving accidents than avoiding them. What nonsense! If Toyota doesn't get in touch with the consumer they are going to find themselves left behind by "Civic Nation" again (only this time it will be "FIT" Nation). The only benefit to the U.S. consumer might be getting "employee pricing", like the Big 3 offers, at the end of the model year. Hopefully Toyota will get the message, because the Yaris is a wonderful platform on which to build a super-sub.
BTW the last car I owned without a tach was a 1966 Plymouth Valiant!!!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 06:26 PM   #150
Leenis24
lil' town up north

Drives: 07 Yaris LB 5 speed Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
.....They must be getting their market research from the "Big 3" who insist that Americans don't buy hatchbacks, don't like manual transmissions, and are more concerned with surviving accidents than avoiding them. What nonsense! If Toyota doesn't get in touch with the consumer they are going to find themselves left behind by "Civic Nation" again (only this time it will be "FIT" Nation)......
WOW, Greatly put. Toyota needs to stick to its Japanese roots and not follow the American Crap cars, Thats right i said it. The Big 3 put out such crap and i dont want a great manufacturer like Toyota to follow in their footsteps. Remember, Toyota started the Total Quality Control and Kaizen (Continuous Improvment) in Japan around the early 1950's, they need to strengthen those ideas once again and get out ahead of the Big 3. And believe me, Toyota has the ability to do so, they just can't slip up anymore whit their sales strategy. I would love to see less SUV's, and more smaller cars, and im sure it will happen soon enough with the gas prices so high. And you watch the Big 3 will start producing lots of small cars rather then big boats that they sell now. Just look at Europe, so many small cars.

Ok im done rambling on.
Leenis24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #151
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
good ramble leenis24
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:01 PM   #152
Leenis24
lil' town up north

OMFG, i just called Berlin city toyota in Gorham, NH and they had a Bayou Blue 5 speed 3door. And guess what, its sold already, they had it a freakin day and its sold. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. And Berlin city of Portland, ME has a blazing blue 5 speed, but i dont know if its still there, portlands a little to far away from me. Maybe i can get a closer toyota dealer to get it from them some how, hmmmmmm. There starting to come around up here in New england now, of course the farthest point away from california, where they ship in. I'll have mine soon enough, muuhahahahhah.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #153
ricko

If the car you want is at another dealer, just tell yours to get it for you. That's what mine did.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #154
Leenis24
lil' town up north

I'll try it tomorrow after work. i hope they can, i don't know how it works though.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:54 AM   #155
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I'm not paying enough attention, I try to think my salesperson isn't a moron, but I worked with him at the dealership for a bit and he might be.

Going to have to torcher him a bit.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #156
ricko

These (sales) people should be working for YOU!!!!!!!! They are NOT doing you a favour. If the salesman you have talked to is not making every effort to get you the car you want, when you want it, then FIRE him. Get another sales person or if necessary go to another dealer. Better yet go to the manager of the dealership and say "This SFB is giving me the run-around, when all I want to do is spend my money on one of your cars. Can you tell me where the Honda Dealership is Located?" Of course this is easier if you live in a city where there may be more than 1 Toy Store, but even if there isn't you can always buy the car at one dealer and service it at the dealer closest to you. After all you are not whining about the price or asking for free stuff, you just want the car equiped the way you want it, and are willing to pay. This all reminds me too much of when I was young and stupid and trying to buy a Z28, while all the GM sales reps acted like they were doing me a colosal favour by taking my money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These people are not Rocket Scientists. Hit them where it hurts .......... in the wallet.
BTW - After buying your Yaris somewhere else, I do NOT suggest driving by the dealership to show off your new prize. Too much gun violence already.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #157
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

LOL, I worked at that dealership. If I yank the deal from my guy I'm going to use the same dealership with a better salesperson.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #158
ricko

Whatever gets you the car you want!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:47 AM   #159
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Just went in yesterday and talked to the new car manger. He said our region (NE) is getting 2 manuals tommorow, for the entire region. AAARRRGG.

Anyways he also let me know he is trying to get the region to get an extra one for me as well.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:24 AM   #160
ricko

Two for the entire region???????? Toyota USA sounds really out of touch to me. Whenever Toyota loses a customer, they usually end up driving a Honda.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:32 AM   #161
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
Two for the entire region???????? Toyota USA sounds really out of touch to me. Whenever Toyota loses a customer, they usually end up driving a Honda.
How many times do we have to go through this? Manuals don't sell as well as autos. The fact that a few uppity internet forum users want manuals means fuck-all to Toyota. If it turns out after the initial allocations that the dealers are asking for more manuals than they're getting, Toyota will adjust their allocations.

And again, by placing orders you guys will be telling Toyota what they need to be sending instead of having them guess based on averages for previous models.

I'm getting really sick of all the whining on this forum.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #162
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Newbie here - I've placed my order for a blue manual. It's anybody's guess as to when it'll actually show up. My dealer says that they have a VIN, so I hope that means it's already in the region (Midwest). Maybe within the next few weeks? Any guesses??

I also hate the way Toyota does options. It was impossible to get the Power Package in the Midwest Region; the west coast gets it - and with the 15" alloys to boot.

Glad to be here. Sorry for the rant...
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote