Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
kuyachris84

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback Black
fog lights, cost of installing them at the dealership?

Anyone know how much Toyota would charge to install some fog lights on an 08 yaris liftback?

I would like to get some and just wondering if anyone had experience getting their fog lights through a dealership and how much it cost them to put them in. I'd do it myself but I don't know anything bout wiring in a car. ><;
kuyachris84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Good luck. I've spoken to a few dealerships here (in Canada) and they look at me like I'm nuts. They wouldn't touch my car with a 10 foot pole.

Had to just man it out and do it myself ... it's really not that hard if you go the OEM route with the headlight stalk! Plus there are some great DIY's here which is where I finally got the courage to do mine.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
kuyachris84

yeah i just called a dealership and the lady in the service department said they don't usually do those... and sounded like it was a surprise question to even ask for such a thing. =/
Old 04-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Meteorite_Marty

Drives: 2008 5-door Yaris Hatchback
My dealer said there is no official Toyota kit to do it afterwards on car that came without them from the factory. Toyota fogs are only installed at the factory during assembly.

Before I did my own fog light install, the dealerships I called said that they have never installed fog lights onto a car that came without them, and that it is never done because of the high costs involved and inexperience of most dealership technicians (regarding automotive electrical). I asked them to search their service instructions manuals for fog light installs, and they said there was nothing provided to them to even attempt the job.

They went on to mention there was no official Toyota kit to do this, and the fog lights in the Accessories guide are just the housings alone, no wiring or switches. They said if I brought in an aftermarket kit it would take 3-4 hours labour for a non-wired Yaris, and more money for a harness and interior wiring (another $2000, what a crock!).

The official Toyota Accessory Parts Listing has Fog Lamps priced at $400 for just the housings, and 1.5 hours labour to do the work. The labour costs around $150 on top.

Me being me, I tend to be skeptical. I have therefore obtained an official Toyota manual in PDF format, outlining EXACTLY how to install the fogs lights, per factory specfications (thanks INZYaris1). I went even further to install my own Toyota headlight/foglight/turnsignal control stalk, the way it would be from factory.

So basically everything Toyota dealerships said about fogs,was proven false with this PDF I have acquired. Fogs can be installed after the fact, the car is already prewired for fogs, and it can be done with after market kits, for a lot cheaper!
Meteorite_Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
kuyachris84

hmmm garm sells the kit for $99 bucks.... anyone use his kit? How hard was it to install? Any splicing of wires involved? Easy to follow instructions? I may just buy that and try to install it myself like u did marty.... hmmm

Old 04-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyachris84 View Post
hmmm garm sells the kit for $99 bucks.... anyone use his kit? How hard was it to install? Any splicing of wires involved? Easy to follow instructions? I may just buy that and try to install it myself like u did marty.... hmmm

I bought one and will do a write-up soon. It appears to be very straight forward.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
Meteorite_Marty

Quote:

If you get a kit from Garm, he also sells the wiring adapters to make everything plug and play with factory wiring. If you go and replace your factory headlight/turn signal stalk with a headlight/turn signal/fog light combo stalk, it is totally plug and play and not a single wire has to be cut or spliced. Everything is done on the engines-side of the car, and nothing internal (except one relay which plugs in).

This is what I did. The stalk method is the easiest, as you do not have to do ANY interior wiring through your firewall, or dismantling of your interior panels. Plus, your dashboard signal for fogs (like the one you see when your headlights are on) will light up when they are on, using the stalk method. This way is totally factory specification.

I have an official Toyota manuals in PDF, on how to remove the steering wheel (if you replace your stalk), and install the fog lights as per factory specifications. I have never run fogs, and I was able to follow all instructions clearly to complete the job.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Meteorite_Marty

Thanks to 1NZYaris1

"If you want to save some coin talk to Garm at microimage ,
he is now selling his kit's with the correct relay + the wiring to plug into
the relay box under the bonnet.
all you will need then is the stalk"

Again, this is what I did.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
Meteorite_Marty

This post will outline what you need from Garm. This is the kit I ordered, with the same wiring adapter and relay. The instructions you see are direct from Toyota, and are what I followed. I used a headlight/turn signal/foglight control stalk as well (to replace the factory headlight/turn signal stalk) which made the install simple. Thanks to 1NZYaris1 for the help.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...og+light+relay
Old 04-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #10
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Someone needs to compile all the information and make a sticky
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:36 PM   #11
Meteorite_Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Someone needs to compile all the information and make a sticky
Yes. I feel I am repeating myself (which I don't mind). :)
Old 04-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #12
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
Quote:

Make a trip up here, I'll install them for you!
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #13
kuyachris84

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm07yaris View Post
Make a trip up here, I'll install them for you!
damn dude... i might have to do that again LOL.

Might as well buy some projector head lights since matt should know how to install em too.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #14
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite_Marty View Post
Thanks to 1NZYaris1

"If you want to save some coin talk to Garm at microimage ,
he is now selling his kit's with the correct relay + the wiring to plug into
the relay box under the bonnet.
all you will need then is the stalk"

Again, this is what I did.
Wanna install mine!!! We can work out the $
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #15
Meteorite_Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleyaris View Post
Wanna install mine!!! We can work out the $
If you get the foglight/headlight/turnsignal stalk to replace your headlight/turnsignal, as well as Garm's kit, I could help/direct you. This is the route I went.

I didn't use the parking brake area rocker switch method.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
It's not that hard, I had a little problems understanding mine but in the end I figured it out. The biggest concern was pulling a weeks-old car apart, but I got it back together for the most part. There are great instructions on here and the bits that are different are easy to figure out.

I am contemplating HIDs, but I think I would like to eventually go for some new headlights as well so I figure I might as well do both at the same time. Money is the biggest constraint at the moment, but I'll save up and will convert the headlights on my 08 HB in the near future once I figure out what I want to do...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #17
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
To really make it easy on yourself, do as Marty states and purchase the foglight integrated headlight stalk. It makes this job a walk in the park. If you can hold on a few more days, I will do a write-up on the install. All you'll need to do is buy the kit from Garm and source the foglight integrated headlight stalk. If you have an 09 you will need the bezels for the bumper as they are different from the early cars. I am assuming that the hardest part of the whole install will be installing the stalk but I will do the write-up and hopefully it will help somebody.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #18
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
Where do you buy the turn factory foglight turn signal stalk?
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote