Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
01lexpl

Drives: 07 sedan
Question Adding a 12V socket - anyone tried?

Before you shit on me for not searching. I saw the one post where someone added a 12V direct to the battery - that's the easy way.

What I've done in past cars was fuse-tap to the cigarette lighter...

Would this be the best approach here?
2007 Yaris Sedan A/T for what it's worth I put in the larger option battery 650CCA (I believe), as it sits outside & in Canada where it gets freaking cold.

The fact that these came with one 12v socket is pathetic - but I'm not surprised as its such a cheap car.

I bought a 2x 12v socket thingy that install direct to battery, but I want it switched.

I guess I'm looking for; what did YOU use for SWITCHED power to an external 12v socket?

If I don't have to go poking around and save myself 30min in a cold garage, I will hence the questions

Thanks in advance!
01lexpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 02:31 PM   #2
samuelpump

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB MT
I just added two of them. In-line fuse, 15 amp fuse each ran power to battery directly. There is a hole on the passenger side on the floorboard pull out, the rubber grommet and run the wire through there and then grounded to either the battery negative terminal or one of the mini ground points
samuelpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 04:27 PM   #3
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
ive not added a socket ut i did add a few usb ports which is the same job...added them into the blanks in the e-brake panel
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 05:39 AM   #4
mirageman

Drives: 2009 yaris
�� "sit" on you...
I bought a "victor" brand cigarette lighter some 30 years ago, very old chrome style. It is still in the package somewhere in my garage but I will be tapping into the same wire that goes to that pathetic backwards stock one as that wire is already fused. Where do you want to put it? I've noticed a "hole" in the plastic frame behind one of the side trims of our glorious, gift-that-keeps-on-giving center console and dashboard. I saw it and thought Toyota originally may have wanted to mount an outlet there, but gave up, perhaps there's too much of a bend in the trim for it to sit flush. It looks like that would have been a great spot for one. I'd give that a peek. I also considered off to the side, by the glove box.
mirageman is offline   Reply With Quote