Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
got the wheel swapped out

I am prob known by now for cheap mods, so an Ebay steering wheel shouldn't surprise you. I love the feel and the response, and the luck, and that i can pull my wheel off.

and of course the cons....no airbag, no airbag light (gonna have to tackle that another day), no horn (gonna wire a button under the wheel later on), but worst of all if i use my blinker then turn 90 degrees the blinker will not turn itself off. kinda makes me mad, but worth it to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hub2.jpg (129.9 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg hub.jpg (68.9 KB, 258 views)
Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
I have that steering wheel in my RX7. lol. I kind of like it, except for how flexible it is at the top.
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
weedtank
I need more stars

Drives: Liftback
How much did you pay for the setup?
Old 02-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
mr_miles

when i bought mine it was 30 dollars shipped :p

its a ok steering wheel, super light, etc etc. It's held up for almost a year now, too.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Maybe I got jipped. 48 shipped. I'm enjoying it. Hmm, now that you mention it, it does have a bit of give at the top. Fun though.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
mr_miles

It's ebay, prices always fluctuate, lol. no sales tax here either. it's a fun little addition. maybe I'll swap mine into the yaris....
Old 02-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

overall i do like it. but if i was to do again, i'd prob go all leather wheel. same size and shape though.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Out of curiosity, why would you do that? Most people want the benefits to outweigh the take-aways. I'm not sure I see benefits....just the things you gave up.

You've reduced the value of your car by far more than the cost of the wheel..not to mention to loss of horn, turn signal cancel, etc.

Maybe I just don't "get it".

Enlighten me....
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
Looks comfortable!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
Out of curiosity, why would you do that? Most people want the benefits to outweigh the take-aways. I'm not sure I see benefits....just the things you gave up.

You've reduced the value of your car by far more than the cost of the wheel..not to mention to loss of horn, turn signal cancel, etc.

Maybe I just don't "get it".

Enlighten me....
I understand why do things like this. I'd do it also.. eventually I plan to. Its a car enthusiast thing people have to modify their car to make it unique to one's self. This particular mod, the feel and of the steering wheel out wieghts alot of things most drivers find essential.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

this is one the mods you will notice EVERY time in the car. losing a little bit of luxury to gain a little sportiness is ok by me. i was unaware that i would lose horn as there is a horn button and hook ups, which i will figure out later. i also didn't know i would lose the wheels ability to turn of the blinker when turning, but heck, anyone that has had a motorcycle can get used to that.

its like derrick said, you gotta really be into it to wanna do this. and man am i loving it. now when i start my car up in the mornings ill be taking the wheel inside with me while my car warms up. hurray.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
mr_miles

I dont know why you lost your blinkers return ability, i retained that on the rx7....does the yaris not have that sleeve that goes around the steering shaft with the two pins?
Old 02-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleTimeTim View Post
this is one the mods you will notice EVERY time in the car. losing a little bit of luxury to gain a little sportiness is ok by me. i was unaware that i would lose horn as there is a horn button and hook ups, which i will figure out later. i also didn't know i would lose the wheels ability to turn of the blinker when turning, but heck, anyone that has had a motorcycle can get used to that.

its like derrick said, you gotta really be into it to wanna do this. and man am i loving it. now when i start my car up in the mornings ill be taking the wheel inside with me while my car warms up. hurray.
Car enthusiast is one thing...I've been one for almost 50 years. But here's a couple of things to consider:

1) Hopefully, you won't ever need to make an insurance claim for any medical injuries incurred while in that car without the airbag....since your policy is rated for a car with one and you've removed it willfully, the ins. co. may (likely) dishonor a claim surrounding that.

2) You MAY have have broken federal law, same as if you removed the catalytic converter since those and other safety items are federally mandated. G'luck if your state has an annual vehicle inspection. Just saying.

All for the addition of a 30 dollar steering wheel of questionable quality. I still don't get it.

I know I sound like a grumpy old man ( maybe I am one ) and not trying to rain on your parade, I've done similar things before, and later regretted it.

The things you've impacted like your airbag are pretty significant items, IMO.

Something to think about anyway, I'm done preaching.

Have fun with your Yaris.
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
Quote:
Car enthusiast is one thing...I've been one for almost 50 years. But here's a couple of things to consider:

1) Hopefully, you won't ever need to make an insurance claim for any medical injuries incurred while in that car without the airbag....since your policy is rated for a car with one and you've removed it willfully, the ins. co. may (likely) dishonor a claim surrounding that.

2) You MAY have have broken federal law, same as if you removed the catalytic converter since those and other safety items are federally mandated. G'luck if your state has an annual vehicle inspection. Just saying.

All for the addition of a 30 dollar steering wheel of questionable quality. I still don't get it.

I know I sound like a grumpy old man ( maybe I am one ) and not trying to rain on your parade, I've done similar things before, and later regretted it.

I actually agree with you.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:

the insurance thing is a big deal. Best way is to just call and ask if they will still cover you or have to change policy for your interest.

Car enthusiasts come in many forms. To each their own
Old 02-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

man, do i not care for people "raining down on my parade" esp when they state stuff that i am fully aware. but thanks for all that. thank you so much. im a better person for knowing it.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #17
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

^^^hmm, i feel better now. anyway, yes i know about those things and i still do what i do anyway. i am trying all mods out so when i get my next car i will know what i want to do to it, and what to avoid. i prob should have gone with a scion wheel to keep airbag, i know this now

sorry for the trolling, thanks for the input
Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
jsut realised you pm'd.....it takes a few days and you get used to turning off the blinker manually.

also check youtube for aftermarket steering wheel install,there is agood one for a nissan and one for a honda that shows the paperclip and why it is done to make the horn have a power source.

Once upon a time cars did not have airbags......yes call your insurance to verify in the event of an accident they would cover your injuries,you may indeed find they will not.

You in many states for drivers safty for drivers who have to sit close to the steering wheel can have airbag removed and they cover injury.

Remember modding a car is a personal choice and many of us have done it since we were infants.I have pictures of me on a 69 Trans Am at age 2 with a wrench in my hand.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote