Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Best All Season tires for Yaris HB.

I have to replace my tires on my Yaris soon (my current Goodyear Assurance tires have little tread left) and wanted to get some recommendations. I am in Canada .. but I don't want to get summer / winter tires so I am looking for all season tires. Winter performance is somewhat important as being up north here "reasonable" winter traction is needed so I may want a more aggressive tread ?

I just got my Yaris in the last few months .. and so far I am very happy with it, but I haven't done any winter driving with it to see how it performs.

I am a very casual driver .. so high performance tires are not necessarily needed. I do most of my driving in the city (where pot holes can be an issue) with maybe 10% highway driving, where I seldom go much over 65 mph / 110 kmh as that's the speed limit here.

I am not one to take the corners at high speeds .. as I typically drive like a granny (as some would characterize my driving style).

I am looking for a long lasting tire (100,000 km / 60,000 mile tread life would be nice) as I don't want to be buying tires in another few years.

I am pretty sure that my tire size is 185/60R15 (OEM size).

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
xhifer

Drives: none
Hankook Optimo H727 All-Season Tires are what I recommend.
xhifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
edmscan

I am actually considering some new tires (after doing some research on the net). They are HANKOOK OPTIMO 4S .. which are listed as "All Weather Tires".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WZJF...eature=related

Has anyone actually tried these tires ??
Old 05-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Edmonton.... have a look at "All Weather" tires as opposed to "All Season". They will have better winter capabilities. Check out the Nokian WRG2. They are pretty popular and seem to be a decent tire.
I've got Nokian Entyre on my Yaris. Good mid-range tire for the $. They are surprisingly good in the wet for what they are. I ran the winter autoX series on them.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=246
Haven't really tried in the snow yet (the whole lotus-land thing ;) )
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
edmscan

I really like your pics CoryM.

I am seriously considering your recommendations as I think that all weather tires would be a good fit for me. We do have special needs when it comes to tires here in Canada. Considering that we have long snow filled winters (probably a bit more so here in Alberta than in Lotus Land). My parents live in West Vancouver so I am familiar with your area.

I do like that the Hankook "All Weather" tires I am looking at are about $85 at CrappyTire, so that is reasonable for my budget. I am just concerned that they may be rough riding in the summer .. but from the reviews I have read they seem to be fine. I also watched some YouTube videos .. and they appear to be a better choice than all seasons for our climate.

I am still going to do some more research ..
Old 05-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Check out the Nokian WRG2.
Thanks for the recommendation ..

I think I made an oops .. the cost of the Hankook All Weather tires are like $130 at CrappyTire (The only place that sells them).

EDIT: I think after looking at the Hankook / Nokian tires .. I have decided to go with the Hankook tires as they have 95,000 km rated tread life as compared to 40,000 km for the Nokian tires, and they seem to have similar price points.

Last edited by edmscan; 05-27-2012 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Added new info.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhifer View Post
Hankook Optimo H727 All-Season Tires are what I recommend.
Thanks for the recommendation .. but after considering the climate here (and learning about a new "all weather" tire category), I think that after much deliberation, an all season tire is really not the best option for me.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
Thanks for the recommendation ..

I think I made an oops .. the cost of the Hankook All Weather tires are like $130 at CrappyTire (The only place that sells them).

EDIT: I think after looking at the Hankook / Nokian tires .. I have decided to go with the Hankook tires as they have 95,000 km rated tread life as compared to 40,000 km for the Nokian tires, and they seem to have similar price points.
WRG2 are 100,000km tread life and $145 from Kaltire (who will actually honour the warranty). https://shop.kaltire.com/tiresresults/

I'm familiar with the WRG2 and on most cars they are quiet enough. I've only seen two cars where they were noisier than I would expect. BTW, you won't get the same wear with an all-weather due to all the siping and softer compound. Especially if you drive hard. Also the larger tread blocks of all-weather and winter tires make them more sensitive to toe-wear. Meaning they will get lumpy and noisy sooner if your alignment is off. Maybe something to consider if you drive through potholes regularly.
Sounds like all-weather suits your needs though.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
edmscan

I got new tires installed today ... I went with Hankook Optimo 4S All Weather tires (just cause our winters can be harsh and I thought it was a better decision than all seasons. Besides I got stuck in my back alley with my all seasons before).

I only had to wait 2 hours at Canadian Tire to get them installed so it wasn't too bad. There was a girl working on my car .. and it seemed that she knew what she was doing so I was happy.

I went for a small trip and they seem fine, although I did like the ride in the city better than highway driving. Maybe my car just needs a wheel alignment.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I decided to just go all out and do 2 sets of tires: Michelin X-ice2 for the snow, Dunlop Direza DZ101 for the sun. It's a larger up-front purchase, but costs about the same in the long run, with substantially improved handling in each climate.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I decided to just go all out and do 2 sets of tires: Michelin X-ice2 for the snow, Dunlop Direza DZ101 for the sun. It's a larger up-front purchase, but costs about the same in the long run, with substantially improved handling in each climate.
My parents have the same Michelin tires and they seem to like them .. myself I just didn't want to go thru the hassle of having to change them when the seasons change. I try not to drive too much when the conditions are really bad in the winter .. so I think that I will be fine with the tires that I purchased. I have done with all seasons for almost 30 years and these "all weather" tires apparently perform better than all seasons when the conditions are bad.