Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
jack

Drives: Yaris 5 door 1.3L YR series
Unhappy Yaris Digital Speedo Error??

Anyone else in Australia, or elsewhere have a speedo error problem? I took mine to the dealer after checking with 2 GPS units, the speedo was reading 107 KMH when the actual road speed is 100 KMH. Dealer fitted a new speedo head complete, now the error is worse! Its reading 109 KMH for a 100 KMH road speed. The error varies depending on the speed range you drive at, meaning the error is less at lower speeds. Funnily enough, the odometer reads correct! The car is an '06 Yaris 5 Door 1.3L manual, on the standard cheese cutter tyres it came with.
'06 YR Yaris 5 Door 1.3L manual
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

Drives: Toyota Echo
This is the first ive heard of it reading incorrectly!!! So the speedo it reading HIGHER than you are actually going, right ? Kinda makes sense ... if it was teh otehr way around id be more worried!

A LOT of manaufacturers these days calibrate speedos to read 5% higher for safety reasons. This way, peoples speedos are more accurate if they choose to put on bigger wheels, or if they are speeding by a few kms, they are actually going the real speed.

A co-worker (my newish boss) used to work in Purchasing at GM Holden in melbourne, and he said ALL new holdens definitely showed a higher speedo reading than what they were actually doing. As you said, the error is LESS at lower speeds, and the odometer still reads correctly --- i beleive its a certain percentage that has been set by the factory.!!

Try also posting this on www.oztoyota.com forums ... Lots of aussies are on this forum with Yaris's!
Old 03-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33dY
This is the first ive heard of it reading incorrectly!!! So the speedo it reading HIGHER than you are actually going, right ? Kinda makes sense ... if it was teh otehr way around id be more worried!

A LOT of manaufacturers these days calibrate speedos to read 5% higher for safety reasons. This way, peoples speedos are more accurate if they choose to put on bigger wheels, or if they are speeding by a few kms, they are actually going the real speed.

A co-worker (my newish boss) used to work in Purchasing at GM Holden in melbourne, and he said ALL new holdens definitely showed a higher speedo reading than what they were actually doing. As you said, the error is LESS at lower speeds, and the odometer still reads correctly --- i beleive its a certain percentage that has been set by the factory.!!

Try also posting this on www.oztoyota.com forums ... Lots of aussies are on this forum with Yaris's!
I would not worry if the error was small, but it is rather large and any time you change speed zones, you need to mentally re calculate the error, which is not a consistant value. My wife noticed the problem, as she was being 'tailgated' all the time out on the open road, and in town. So I decided to check the car an find out why. Our '99 3dr Echo speedo was spot on for the whole 110,000 kilometres we had it....why is the Yaris speedo so bad? Its exactly the same technology. The second speedo was worse!
Old 03-16-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

Drives: Toyota Echo
VERY VERY odd that 2 speedo clusters read differently!!!

Again, this is the first ive heard of this issue with the Yaris!

Maybe someone on this forum or OZTOYOTA can give u a reason/solution!
Old 03-16-2006, 06:44 PM   #5
jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33dY
VERY VERY odd that 2 speedo clusters read differently!!!

Again, this is the first ive heard of this issue with the Yaris!

Maybe someone on this forum or OZTOYOTA can give u a reason/solution!

I sure hope so! Because the dealer or Toyota Australia do not have an answer! I would suggest EVERY Yaris owner verify their speedo with a GPS.
An employee of our local dealer has the same problem with her new Yaris too.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:37 AM   #6
jack

Speedo Check Documented..........

I decided to take radical steps to try and solve my problem.....my speedo test is documented here.
http://www.ripoff.com.au/html/toyota_yaris.html