Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
new speaker setup?

:Edit: i was looking around and found a few speakers and want the yaris world opinion. i'm just looking for an upgrade from my stock speakers.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSG1...42R.html?tp=95
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSG1...42R.html?tp=97
i wanted to pair those up with the 10" sub and amp setup that i already have. do you guys and gals think i would need another amp for those speakers or should i be fine jut putting them in place of the stock?

thanks again for all the help

Ryan

Last edited by ryota; 07-27-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: new info
ryota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
try arc audio i have found to have great sound at a fair price they are a step up from alpine , sony , kenwood ,pioneer if you ask me but they are not sold at every little stereo shop in town you can look at my gorage to see my system its a bit more than your wanteing to spend but you can see what you are up against if you install yourself anything you buy should be a step obove stock toyota speakers good luck
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
ryota
Dry Bones

bump for new info
Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
If you want to get speakers similar to the Arc Audio, but a bit cheaper google "CDT Audio". CDT and Arc are made at the same place, with very similar design goals.... or at least they used to be.

Generally, in audio, the stuff you can find everywhere is not that great, the expensive stuff you can find nearly everywhere is ok, but overpriced.... and the stuff you can only find at a handful of dealers in the US and online but still moderately priced (not quite expensive) is some of the best quality stuff around.

I'd say go with just about any pair of 6.5" components that you can find for $130-150. Infinity refrences are decent... I always had luck with them in budget installs.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
ryota
Dry Bones

took your advice talnlnky and looked up the cdt speakers. i just want to make sure i'm getting something that will make my music sound good and preferably without having to hook an amp up to them (i'm not sure how to tell if i would have to or not).

what i found where here (i'm sure i could find them for a few $ less if i looked around a little more)
http://www.vertexaudio.com/store/pc/...Pair-10p67.htm

honestly, i installed my sub in my old car but still know next to nothing (if not less) about speakers. so i'm really hoping to catch one of you guys on here that know about this stuff to help make sure i'm not doing anything stupid (which you have so far and i thank you for it). do these seem like a decent set of speakers? and would i need a spacer to make the window clearance inside my door?

i also read somewhere on here last night that you can put 6.5's in the back too. if that is true i would just get 2 sets of those speakers and put them in all around. i want to put my sub back into my yaris but it might be a little bit before i can do that so i'm hoping to get good sound out of them alone and then even better more complete sound once i get the low end in there too

sorry for being a complete dumbass about all this but i really appreciate all the help.

thanks again
Ryan
Old 07-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryota View Post
took your advice talnlnky and looked up the cdt speakers. i just want to make sure i'm getting something that will make my music sound good and preferably without having to hook an amp up to them (i'm not sure how to tell if i would have to or not).

what i found where here (i'm sure i could find them for a few $ less if i looked around a little more)
http://www.vertexaudio.com/store/pc/...Pair-10p67.htm

honestly, i installed my sub in my old car but still know next to nothing (if not less) about speakers. so i'm really hoping to catch one of you guys on here that know about this stuff to help make sure i'm not doing anything stupid (which you have so far and i thank you for it). do these seem like a decent set of speakers? and would i need a spacer to make the window clearance inside my door?

i also read somewhere on here last night that you can put 6.5's in the back too. if that is true i would just get 2 sets of those speakers and put them in all around. i want to put my sub back into my yaris but it might be a little bit before i can do that so i'm hoping to get good sound out of them alone and then even better more complete sound once i get the low end in there too

sorry for being a complete dumbass about all this but i really appreciate all the help.

thanks again
Ryan
don't waste money on rear speakers... If anything... I would take the money you would've spent on rear speakers.. and buy a small 2 channel amp (50x2 rms) and use that to power your front speakers... if you already have an aftermarket deck, it'd make the speakers sound even better, and get even louder.

rear speakers are a cash cow for stereo shops... not needed, but they double the profits.

the speakers you were looking at however didn't appear to be a fullrange option... they would leave you missing the highs.

http://www.vertexaudio.com/store/pc/...Set-30p168.htm this would be better.... or like I said in the previous post...

http://ikesound.com/infinity_reference_6020cs this would also work well for a budget setup.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
don't waste money on rear speakers... If anything... I would take the money you would've spent on rear speakers.. and buy a small 2 channel amp (50x2 rms) and use that to power your front speakers... if you already have an aftermarket deck, it'd make the speakers sound even better, and get even louder.

rear speakers are a cash cow for stereo shops... not needed, but they double the profits.

the speakers you were looking at however didn't appear to be a fullrange option... they would leave you missing the highs.

http://www.vertexaudio.com/store/pc/...Set-30p168.htm this would be better.... or like I said in the previous post...

http://ikesound.com/infinity_reference_6020cs this would also work well for a budget setup.
This is not true. YOU may find rear speakers to be a waste, but some of use like our passengers in the back to hear it too. Not all of us are competition guys or only install audio based on the driver's seat.

Rear speakers also add a great dimension to your sound so that it fills the car instead of shooting forth from one direction.

To answer the rear speaker question, 6.5 can be used in the back. actually, with some slight cutting for mounting the rear speaker locations have enough depth for a set of 8" inch subs if you are so inclined. However, for what your goals seem to be, a pair in the front and a pair in the back is a great budget investment, and 6.5 will do just fine. I would opt for 3 way speakers so as to get a fuller range from your budget.
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJohnson View Post
This is not true. YOU may find rear speakers to be a waste, but some of use like our passengers in the back to hear it too. Not all of us are competition guys or only install audio based on the driver's seat.

Rear speakers also add a great dimension to your sound so that it fills the car instead of shooting forth from one direction.

To answer the rear speaker question, 6.5 can be used in the back. actually, with some slight cutting for mounting the rear speaker locations have enough depth for a set of 8" inch subs if you are so inclined. However, for what your goals seem to be, a pair in the front and a pair in the back is a great budget investment, and 6.5 will do just fine. I would opt for 3 way speakers so as to get a fuller range from your budget.
Two things for you to ponder/do

1: How often do you have passengers in your yaris? When there is, how much of the time do you ignore each other and listen to the music? How much of that time do you spend talking to the passengers in the back/ or if there are multiple passengers in the back, how much time do they spend talking to each other (as in they don't care about the music)?

2: fade your stereo all the way to the front so the rear speakers are not playing... Set the volume to a level that you feel you would listen to your music at. Now get a friend to drive your car a few miles while you sit in the rear.... Pay attention to if you truly struggle to hear the music, or if you can make out the lyrics just as well as before.

I'm not going to input what I and others have realized from doing these tests, but you should go into it with an open mind.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:37 PM   #9
ryota
Dry Bones

those are pretty good points. i think i'm going to have my dad chauffeur tomorrow on our way to a concert (30 min drive) and check this out. the front ones are the ones i'm most worried about blowing/would like to sound better anyway. thanks for all the input!
Old 07-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryota View Post
those are pretty good points. i think i'm going to have my dad chauffeur tomorrow on our way to a concert (30 min drive) and check this out. the front ones are the ones i'm most worried about blowing/would like to sound better anyway. thanks for all the input!
Funny thing is... I only run front speakers (as of right now they are stock.. ugghhh) and yesterday my ipod cord was acting up... broken wire inside of it... So I was only getting sound from my left speaker... It still got relatively loud with only 1 speaker.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
Hit Amazon.com, and believe it or not Walmart.com . Their quality to cost is way higher dollar per dollar than Crutchfield. Amazon offers free shipping for the goods that they distribute (over $25), and Wallys offers dirt cheap or free shipping on theirs, Crutchfield has some serious shipping fees . I just bought a reciever from Amazon for about $70 total, that would have come to almost $110, with shipping at Crutchfield, and speakers at Walmart for $40 total that would cost close to$ 60 at Crutchfield. Walmarts speaker prices are currently even a bit lower than Amazon.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
Mobius1
Installer

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Fuck walmart in its stupid ass.
Look, the question is are you running the speakers off a HU or an amplifier? If HU then the pioneers work just fine, for something nicer get TR650-cxi from JL. If you are amping them I would use none of the above, instead JL C5 speakers or better yet boston SRs or pro60s are good speakers.
More than anything the question is your budget and how much you are willing to spend on good sound.
Mobius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #13
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
Hey ryota, follow penny and taln on the speaker advice. They both have a lot good posts all over these forums. And about those back speakers, I personally enjoy the fullness of having sound in the back also. I did hacking and cutting and fit some 6x9's back there. Mostly because I got a heck of a deal on em and I really like the look. When I have friends in the car going somewhere (and I usually do cause i've got a banging system!) we have it blasting, windows down, jamming out... most of the time... those are good times :)

We can talk when we get there!
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
ryota
Dry Bones

thanks for all of the advice guys! i have been going by Taln and Penny seeing as how they gave me some really good tips and and seem to really know their stuff. i ended up going the budget route and got the infinities and a killer deal on them. because of that i'm putting them all around. unfortunately i'm new to installing speakers so it is going to be a multi step process, but i'll be more than happy in the end. as of right now i got the rear passenger side speaker swapped out, all the wires are run to the sub/amp in the back and are ready to plug and play and a good portion of the other wires are ready to go. saturday will be my day to swap out the rest of the speakers and hook them up to the amp. so far i think i'm doing a pretty damn good job for a newb. i'll post up a few picks once i'm done and thanks again everyone
Old 08-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #15
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

mobius .. You must work for some jerkoff shop that can't compete pricewise. If you had the sense to click ryota's links you would realize that he was looking at exactly the sort of stuff that the big retailers sell for a fraction of what silly litttle sound boutiques like the one your connected with for charge for them

Last edited by Bob Dog; 08-07-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #16
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
gratz ryota! I had infinity all around first time around. They make some pretty good stuff at an affordable price range. Why'd u start on the back first though? I had more trouble getting those back panels off then I did doing the doors... I hate messing with the back speaks :P
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #17
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dog View Post
mobius .. You must work for some jerkoff shop that can't compete pricewise. If you had the sense to click ryota's links you would realize that he was looking at exactly the sort of stuff that the big retailers sell for a fraction of what silly litttle sound boutiques like the one your connected with for charge for them
that was unnecessarily harsh. Walmart options will give him entry level performance, my goal, and hopefully other's goal was to help the original poster get mid range performance for the price of entry level (thats why I only say to buy front speakers... half the price, extremely similar performance in every respect).

Mobius should be welcomed in this forum... it sounds like he has a lot of experience with the pysical install process.... thats something we don't have a whole lot of around here. Even I myself have only done installs in a handful of cars... that is one of my weaker points, my strength is actually in subwoofer box modeling/designing for both Car audio & Home Theater... I can design (and make) some killer boxes.... but I only install decks/electronics about once every three years.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #18
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Fuck walmart in the stupid ass? Anyone who choses to be that rude to me gets a kick in the nuts.. But lets you and I not get not get into it please, I have no reason or desire to get into an argument with you.

Last edited by Bob Dog; 08-07-2009 at 07:06 PM.