Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
jojozep2008
I've made a post!

Drives: VITZ (Yaris)
YARIS/VITZ 2006 - USB Connector on Dashboard or Console

Hi

I've just fitted a Car Stereo that accepts SD Cards from front of unit and USB via a cable that runs from the back of the unit.

Temporarily I ran the USB cable to the bottom of the dashboard/console near the cigar lighter and all works well.

I would like to tidy up the arrangement and have a USB connector attached to the dashboard/console. I noticed a square punch out hole on the opposite side of the cigar lighter at the bottom.

Does anyone have a clue if the punch out hole is for a USB connector. If so does anyone have the part number + description of the USB connector.

Another alternative I have up my sleeve is to use on of these -
http://www.neutrik.com/content/produ...d=CatMSDE_misc

Has anyone attempted to fit a USB connector on dashboard/console ?

Thanks
Sat15aug09
jojozep2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I haven't seen a USB port option that mounts there. I kind of thought that that knockout was designed to be a place for the Zux port, since the sedan one is down there.

On my Xterra I fitted two in place of a non-existent indicator light. I removed a dual USB port from an old motherboard and expoxied it to the rear of the panel (I used epoxy putty). In my case I used the for 5V power (with a regulator mounted behind as well).

For your, you could even take a usb extension cable, cut an appropriate sized hole in the knockout, and epoxy putty it to the back of the knockout.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Maybe you could use some of the steps / methods in this thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9431

only with the USB cable from the HU instead of the power ports on the adapter from that thread.

Or the cable from this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9628&CatId=511

You can take the cable with the ports off and there are screws to mount them to a plate or panel. You'd just need a header to female USB A adapter. Places like Performance-PCs should have those.

Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 08-16-2009 at 01:06 AM.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
drew113087
newbie to this site again

Drives: 2007 yaris Sedan
Talking

There is are 2 tabs that can b pulled out right next to the hand brake.

I basically found a some random broken electronic and used the case for the mold. I cut out a smooth flat pic that had a decent texture. Cut (with scissors, razorblade) it ever so slightly bigger than the tab that I pulled out. Marked the center of the mold. Drilled some holes in the center with a small bit; making sure the bit was not larger than the usb hole. Carvd out a rectangle in the center until it looked neat and a usb dvic would fit comfortably. Applied tons of Jp-weld along the cable and the base of the plastic; so that it piled up along the seam of the usb extension cable an the plastic mold. Let it dry completely. Finally stuck the cable in the hole and wedged the fixture in the hole.
drew113087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
sıɹɐʎ
Economist

Drives: 2007 Yaris Lifback
I have a head unit with rear USB input. I ran a USB extension cable to the center console and dremeled out a hole in one of the accessory covers to place the female end of the extension cable. I super-glued the extension cord in and then used high-temp hot glue for support. I think it turned out well; it works perfectly, and is tug resistant.

Like you, I also considered the pop-out piece next to the lighter jack, but it's part of the center console, and, aside from gluing it back in, you can't replace it individually. I chose to make my own using an accessory panel cover because they can be replaced for just $5 USD. If you're looking for something with more of an OEM style, IsLNdbOi suggested this on another thread.

sıɹɐʎ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
the French model has a USB/AUX port on page 17 of the accessories page:

http://www.toyota.fr/e-brochures/slo...btrendsID=FRFR

i can't find a part number for it though
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.png (242.7 KB, 478 views)
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
sıɹɐʎ
Economist

Drives: 2007 Yaris Lifback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sex View Post
the French model has a USB/AUX port
If you were willing to pay for it, you would probably still have to a little work to use the stock connector. Just like the AUX signal, I suspect that the USB is sent from the plug as four separate wires. I think the easiest way to deal with this would be to cut open a USB cord and manually connect the four wires for USB (Red:+5V, White:Data-, Green:Data+, Black:GND) to the four wires from the plug. A bit of a chore, but wow, now that would be stock.

Actually, the current generation Scion XD has a nice USB plug (86190-52030) that looks like it would snap right into the Yaris accessory panel. I've actually thought about getting one, but that adapter is awfully expensive from the dealership ($100.57 USD Retail). Although I'll be the first to install one if I ever find one at a reasonable price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07scionusb.jpg (43.4 KB, 393 views)

Last edited by sıɹɐʎ; 10-17-2009 at 08:54 PM.
sıɹɐʎ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:41 AM   #8
tmalecu
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris sol
USB port on yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sıɹɐʎ View Post
I have a head unit with rear USB input. I ran a USB extension cable to the center console and dremeled out a hole in one of the accessory covers to place the female end of the extension cable. I super-glued the extension cord in and then used high-temp hot glue for support. I think it turned out well; it works perfectly, and is tug resistant.

Like you, I also considered the pop-out piece next to the lighter jack, but it's part of the center console, and, aside from gluing it back in, you can't replace it individually. I chose to make my own using an accessory panel cover because they can be replaced for just $5 USD. If you're looking for something with more of an OEM style, IsLNdbOi suggested this on another thread.

Hi, how do you made this? Do you follow some schematic procedure? If you are so kind to give it to me by prive messages I will be very happy.

Thank you.
tmalecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
I did the exact same thing as above. Unfortunately, when my friend and I were installing it, we didn't have a dremel or anything handy, so we heated up the tip of a blow-dart and perforated the area we wanted to knock out. Took a solid 30 min, but it turned out pretty good.