Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
Netcom

Drives: NA
Fog light installation question for '15 Yaris

I have a 2015 Yaris LE 5 door built in France. I purchased a fog light kit off of eBay and took it to my local shop to have installed.
The tech found out that my Yaris is already pre-wired for fog lights and after installing the lights and housings themselves it was just a matter of plugging them in.
The technician also noted that the car had a relay and was already wired into the fuse panel.
The only thing he couldn't find was where to plug in the switch. A downloaded wiring diagram shows where the switch itself goes (to the left of the steering wheel by the dash light dimmer) but doesn't show where the plug is.
After a call to Toyota, the tech there said the plug should be taped up to the main wiring harness behind the instrument cluster.
At this point I told my local tech that I would take the car home and see if I can find the plug myself but after removing the instrument cluster I still cannot find a plug anywhere.
Does anybody have any ideas where to look ?
Old 05-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
There's an incredible amount of wiring back there--it may not be directly behind the cluster. There's a panel or two under the steering wheel that should be easy to remove, as well as the small tilt-out bin. I'd get in there with a flashlight and video camera/phone to look around and see if it's somewhere obvious.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
On the 3rd gen cars the fog light switch is on the stalk for the headlights. The wiring may already reach to where the stalk plugs into the steering column. You may be able to buy a stalk with the fog light switch and simply plug it in. I say MAY. I do not know this for sure in your case but the fact that you said wiring is already present in some spots makes me believe this is a possibility. You would have to get EWD (electrical wiring diagrams) for your specific model to be sure. Or else trace out individual wires from fog lights, relay, etc which would be difficult but not impossible.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
Netcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
There's an incredible amount of wiring back there--it may not be directly behind the cluster. There's a panel or two under the steering wheel that should be easy to remove, as well as the small tilt-out bin. I'd get in there with a flashlight and video camera/phone to look around and see if it's somewhere obvious.
I removed the panel under the steering column. I have the cluster out. I removed all the trim I could except for the knee airbag trim. I have checked all the wiring that I can reach with my usb micro cam but still cannot find the plug that goes into the switch.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
Netcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
On the 3rd gen cars the fog light switch is on the stalk for the headlights. The wiring may already reach to where the stalk plugs into the steering column. You may be able to buy a stalk with the fog light switch and simply plug it in. I say MAY. I do not know this for sure in your case but the fact that you said wiring is already present in some spots makes me believe this is a possibility. You would have to get EWD (electrical wiring diagrams) for your specific model to be sure. Or else trace out individual wires from fog lights, relay, etc which would be difficult but not impossible.
On my car there is no fog light switch on the headlight stock. Just the 3 positions (off, parking, on) I have the toyota wiring diagrams for the headlight circuit and it shows the fog light switch on the headlight dimmer switch circuit with a separate button going to the left kick panel beside the dash dimmer switch.
Still no idea.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #6
Netcom

Anyway, I am not going to fret over it any more. The lights came with its own wiring harness and the switch fits perfectly in the blank cutout beside the interior dimmer switch so I am just going to use what I was given.

That being said, thank you for the attempted help regardless.