Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
tanabe nf210 vs. TRD lowering springs??

greetings everyone! the wifey recently saw a yaris liftback at work, and immediately said that she wanted to lower the car. i couldnt believe my ears! my wife wants to lower a commuter car! hahaha, well, we are going to order and purchase our yaris jan '07, but need some advice on which lowering springs to purchase: the nf210's or the TRD's?? we were wondering if anyone had some hard facts about these springs, such as inches dropped and spring rates. we would also LOVE subjective feedback, such as how your ride quality differed from the stock setup. we were hoping to find people who have experienced how both lowering springs ride, but feedback one at least one system would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys!

--B
static808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
riceboy

Drives: icebox
There's a lot of info to had with a search.....

in any case.. i believe the consensus is that the nf210's are much more aggressive than that TRD's which are rebadged eibachs... If you're getting the car in Jan '07 you might want to wait until then to decide what setup to go with... reason being that a lot of aftermarket companies are working on alternatives right now... otherwise if you want a good deal check out one of the vendors for the straight goods.
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy
There's a lot of info to had with a search.....

in any case.. i believe the consensus is that the nf210's are much more aggressive than that TRD's which are rebadged eibachs... If you're getting the car in Jan '07 you might want to wait until then to decide what setup to go with... reason being that a lot of aftermarket companies are working on alternatives right now... otherwise if you want a good deal check out one of the vendors for the straight goods.
You mean nf210 drop more than TRD springs? I thought the other...
which is:
More drop: -> Less drop
DF210 > TRD > NF210.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
riceboy

Drives: icebox
whoops.. my mistake.. you're right...

df - f 1.6 r 1.8
nf - f 1.1 r 1.3

don't know what the numbers are on the trd's.... aren't they about 1.5??
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:18 AM   #5
static808

yeah, i've been reading threads and it looks like the TRD springs give a slightly lower drop (but not by much) than the NF's. and both seem to give a pretty good ride (very important). we're really interested in keeping the factory warranty, so we're leaning a little towards the TRD's. however, C2AUTOSPL is local to us, and we're going there anyways to get some wheels, so it can be one-stop shopping. i'm just a little curious about why no one can get specific information about spring rates and such on the TRD springs. is it because they're progressive rate, so there is no absolute value given to the overall spring rate?? are there any major differences i should know about progressive versus linear rate springs?? once again, thanks for everyone's tidbits of wisdom...

--B
Old 09-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #6
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by static808
i'm just a little curious about why no one can get specific information about spring rates and such on the TRD springs. is it because they're progressive rate, so there is no absolute value given to the overall spring rate?? are there any major differences i should know about progressive versus linear rate springs?? once again, thanks for everyone's tidbits of wisdom...

--B
You are correct about the progressive srping rates... As the spring is compressed, the spring rate sky rockets, so it is impossible to give a static rate. Dynamic rates are worthless for interpretation unless you've taken upper-division mechanical engineering classes.

Progressive springs are great for daily driving as they will have little effect on the feel of the car for a majority of the travel of the spring but are mostly useless for racing since you really cant properly match the spring rate (since there really isn't a constant one) with bound and rebound properties of shocks. Linear rate springs are much easier to tune with and match up with the proper shock but the stiffer you go, the rougher the ride will be
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #7
static808

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookitsjames
Dynamic rates are worthless for interpretation unless you've taken upper-division mechanical engineering classes.
i knew i shoulda taken those instead of upper-division electrical engineering courses. my education has failed me yet again...

--B
Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 AM   #8
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Well, I have the TRD Sportivo springs installed. They dropped the car a pretty good amount. I did not take any real pictures for before and after or measure it, but the drop looks significant.

As for the ride, I cant go through speed bumps any faster then 5mph anymore, and every bump/hill/ditch is felt. Other then that, the car doesnt sway much/it feels much better in turning and highway driving, it feels more safe knowing it reacts better/doesnt turn sideways on tight turns. But I have to say, its going to suck driving in the snow.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:00 PM   #9
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
My Tanabe DF210's dropped me 2" in the rear, and just a little over 2" up front.
They are designed to be used with the oem shocks/struts, and sway bar end links. Upgrading to better shocks/struts is always an option.

These will also net a larger drop then the TRD combo, but it not to everyone's liking.

You can also follow my DIY How_To in the DIY section of the site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nuxen H4 007.jpg (68.6 KB, 1672 views)
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
OgDogg
Gas Guzzler

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S
I'm faced with the same choice right now. I'm leaning towards the TRD's at the moment though. They are a little more expensive (about $50) but seem like they'd be better at keeping your car from scraping. Here's why after my research.

TRD will drop your car 1.2" and has a 10% stronger spring to keep your car from scraping. $230 (dealership)

NF210 will drop your car 1.2" in the front and 1.6" in the back. It also has a 5% stronger spring which will be less effective at keeping your car from scraping, but will provide a better smoother ride. $180 (ebay)

I'm leaning toward the TRD for 2 reasons. 1, it has a stronger spring and I don't want to scrape. 2, it doesn't drop quite as much so that should also help not scraping.

I'm going with 18" rims so not scraping is the most important thing to me. I say if you're going to go with smaller rims 16" or below, go with the NF210's. If you are going with 17" rims or higher, stick to the TRD. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's where my research pointed.
OgDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I think your dead on.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #12
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
Also trd products will never void your warrenty and if there is ever a prob the dealership might give your probs with aftermarket spings
elsteverino889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
gr8yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatchback
My first post here.
I have the Tanabe NF and have installed the rear springs. I have not installed the front because I can't locate a manual on how to access the top of the front shock assembly. Any help/info out here on how to/DIY?
Thanks.

2007 White Liftback 5-speed
Tanabe DF 2" lowering springs, 205/50-15 on 15x6.5 Konig Helium, TRD rear sway bar, 15mm Hub spacer
http://picasaweb.google.com/USAntonio/MyGarage#
gr8yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #14
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8yaris View Post
My first post here.
I have the Tanabe NF and have installed the rear springs. I have not installed the front because I can't locate a manual on how to access the top of the front shock assembly. Any help/info out here on how to/DIY?
Thanks.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=1

Im in Jersey too btw.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:05 AM   #15
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I love my new NF210's. Installation was not bad at all. For the front, I removed the wipers, plastic cowel, wiper motor assembly (only two 10mm bolts), then the whole metal assembly under the cowel. It looks like a lot of bolts to remove but trust me, it's really not bad. The whole thing comes right out very easily and goes back together easily with only one person. With all that out of there the engine compartment is very open and easy to work in and the strut towers are wide open.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #16
gr8yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatchback
Thanks folks for the DIY info on replacing the front springs.
BTW, here's some pics of the Tanabe springs.
Real Japanese manufactured
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0483.JPG (32.8 KB, 1359 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0484.JPG (31.4 KB, 1335 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0488.JPG (38.6 KB, 1332 views)

2007 White Liftback 5-speed
Tanabe DF 2" lowering springs, 205/50-15 on 15x6.5 Konig Helium, TRD rear sway bar, 15mm Hub spacer
http://picasaweb.google.com/USAntonio/MyGarage#
gr8yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:46 PM   #17
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

coulda did them for you.. how do you like them?

What exactly do you have then? Your signature says DF, your box says NF.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #18
Alcott83

Drives: 2008 toyota Yaris (Black)
springs

does any one know what spring out there gives you the most aggressive drop for the hatch is it tein... or tanabe? thanks
Alcott83 is offline   Reply With Quote